Applications for Fall 2013!

bbergstrom, you finished your applications so early! Is this normal/recommended? I thought that submitting mine only a few weeks early would be ok, but I have just now started my personal statements so I'm kind of worried! :unsure:

a lot of the programs I applied to were rolling admissions, so it was recommended to apply early, thus a better chance of getting in! it's really up to you and depends on how the program you apply to accepts people- whether it be rolling or at a specified date. good luck!

Congratulations! How long did they give you to make a decision on whether or not you will attend?

They gave me two weeks to save my spot with a non-refundable $200.00 deposit. So I put in my deposit just in case as I wait to hear back from the other schools (Fordham and Hunter have spring programs so the admissions office said they were working on those application decisions first) but either way, I have a spot.. if I lose the $200 and choose to go to another school, it isn't the end of the world. just want to play it safe!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my acceptance to NYU yesterday, still waiting to hear from Fordham. They only give two weeks to pay the 200$ deposit, so I'm going to pay that because Fordham hasn't even processed my application yet! Will probably end up choosing Fordham if I get in, because in the end it'll be cheaper, but still not 100% sure where I want to go.. hmmm.. i guess i'm thinking too far ahead because I haven't gotten into Fordham yet anyway.

Edited by SammR

I graduated a semester early so in January 2011, and am finishing my second year with AmeriCorps now before I decided to apply to grad programs.

did you fill out the FAFSA form. just wondering because I haven't received any information about scholarships/fin aid yet, but I also haven't done fafsa yet so I'm hoping thats why!

Submitted UW on Dec 2 and just submitted Berkeley today (here's to my slim chances of getting in!!! :rolleyes:) I'm hoping to submit SFSU tomorrow or Tuesday, I'm cutting it close with that one with regards to the deadline...Oh well.

I'm so tired of filling out apps, anyone with me??

I'm with you Paige Elizabeth! I've only completed 2 of my 5 applications, with just the essays left. I'll be really glad when everything is submitted... even though I'm sure it won't be long before the anxiety for results starts up!

Happy application season to everyone! Hope everyone's gliding in under the deadlines and keeping their chins up :)

I completed my application about a month ago to Loyola and was informed I will be getting a postal letter response sometime this week. o_0 I'm so freaking nervous!

Do people usually bite at the first acceptance?

Edited by citychild

Hi all! I submitted my TEN (I know, I went a bit overboard) applications and all of them were made complete by the end of October. I applied to:

Smith

BU

UIC

University of Chicago

Penn

Rutgers

Bryn Mawr

UConn

Fordham

University of Maryland- Baltimore

I got accepted into Penn already! No news of financial aid yet. Should be hearing back from the other programs starting by the end of January.

Well. I took the GRE this morning and tanked. I wasn't expecting to do stellar, but I definitely expected to do better than what I did because I spent a lot of time studying (I think I got 152 math/153 verbal?? I can't remember because I was so disappointed <_< )

Anyway, I have been planning on applying to UCLA and Berkeley but now I'm almost convinced that there is no way I could get in. I know that it is frowned upon to post stats and ask "what are my chances??" but I just don't know what to do. Berkeley is my dream school and UCLA is high up there as well. I have a GPA of 3.71 (advanced GPA is 3.86) and I'm writing an honors thesis for the psychology department at my university I also work as an on call residential youth counselor for a shelter program (341 hours to date) and just got hired at another shelter doing the same thing. I have also participated in two service learning trips through my university and was a facilitator for one of them (around 200 hours total).

Ugh, I just don't know what to do. How are the Cal State schools? Perhaps I should look more into those.. B)

Hi Paige Elizabeth.... I'm sorry to hear about you GREs, but it sounds like you are a smart girl who has a lot of social work experience and the admissions really looks at that. I am currently in the MSW program at Cal State Northridge and I am loving the it! The schools comes from a strengths based perspective which basically means that we try to focus on and find any strength within our clients lives. There is not a set concentration that you have to choose, we learn about every population which is good since social work is so broad! Just a thought :) good luck.

cschapman,

Congrats on being enrolled into the MSW program at CSU Northridge! It sounds like a great program, I definitely like the strengths based perspective. I decided to not apply to any of the CSU schools but if I don't get in anywhere this time around, I will definitely consider those the next time I apply.

Thanks for your support, its almost over!!

FINALLY DONE!!!

It's such a relief to have everything completed and know that I did the best I could. I'm sure that in a week or so, the waiting will start to weigh on me and I'll be anxious to find out results, but for now I'm ok with not thinking about these schools for a while!

Hope all of you are making your deadlines and finding time to relax too

Oh man, I am so there with everyone who is exhausted by the process! I've completed 4 out of 6 or 7, applying just before the early application deadlines for each of them. It's so hard to continue the same level of motivation for the last few, I just want it to be over with! But until we've all heard back and are on our way wherever it is we're going... tumblr_m4xmcqBwDL1qj3ir1.gif Good luck to us all!

did you fill out the FAFSA form. just wondering because I haven't received any information about scholarships/fin aid yet, but I also haven't done fafsa yet so I'm hoping thats why!

I actually didn't fill out a FAFSA or anything for financial aid.. in my "decision letter" they said I received an academic scholarship and listed the amount right on it!

Hi all! I'm a current first year Interpersonal Practice in Mental Health student at the University of Michigan. The schools I applied to are in my signature. If you have any questions about the process, experience prior to applying, or about U of M, let me know!

Edited by acb1023

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone applying to UCLA, the application instructions say to submit the Personal Statement document via the "Statement of Purpose" section which is just a plain text box. I can't seem to just copy my word document into the text box though...so will I have to re type my statement into the text box or is there another way for me to just copy it into the space?