How good is Brown biostatistics?

I am planning to apply for biostatistics PhD this year. I found that there is a biostatistics program in Brown but I haven't heard anything about it since it is a very new program. Do you know if it is comparable to other renowned programs such as UMich, UMN, UNC, and Columbia? Or do you guys know anything about the placement of Brown?

Brown is a notch below the places you mentioned in terms of overall department reputation, but there are several excellent faculty members there. I'd say Brown currently falls in the 10-15 range nationally, but could move up a few spots as the program matures.

• 6 months later...

Brown is a notch below the places you mentioned in terms of overall department reputation, but there are several excellent faculty members there. I'd say Brown currently falls in the 10-15 range nationally, but could move up a few spots as the program matures.

Thanks a lot for the information. Could you provide some insight into the ScM program at Brown? I got the admission letter a few days ago. Will it be a good choice if I want to pursue a PhD in biostat after graduation? I am planning to withdraw Pittsburgh and still waiting for Umich UNC Harvard JHU UPenn Columbia Emory and Yale. Any comments? Many thanks!   

• 4 years later...
On 7/18/2012 at 2:22 AM, cyberwulf said:

Hi @cyberwulf, sorry to hit you on an old thread. I'm considering Brown Biostatistics for PhD and am wondering if you stand by this statement. Has Brown risen in rank? Is it regarded?

My other option is JHU AMS, which has professors with statistics and biostatistics interests, but is not a department wholly dedicated to either.

22 hours ago, matcha mountain said:

Hi @cyberwulf, sorry to hit you on an old thread. I'm considering Brown Biostatistics for PhD and am wondering if you stand by this statement. Has Brown risen in rank? Is it regarded?

I'd say that not much has changed, reputation-wise, in the past five years. Brown is still a very good (though very small) program, which probably ranks around #10.