Seeking Advice on MA Programs and Application Process

flytrap

Hi all,

First of all, congrats to everyone on their admissions for 2012! I´m looking to apply for MA programs for fall 2013 and would love to get some advice.

Some background info: I go to a small relatively unknown liberal arts college. I graduate in december with a 3.6. I transfered from a comunity college where I acumilated an unfortunate amount of Ws. On the other hand I have spent the last year studying abroad and have a 4.0 from my studies abroad. I am doing an interdiciplinary degree in art history. This is a problem since there are no art historians at my university to get recommendations from. I have done some internships and work an entry level job at a museum, though I have heard this won´t carry much weight in my application. My area of interest is on female and male representations in 19th and 20th century European art and Latin America. I am fluent in Spanish, and have basic reading knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, and am working on French.I´m taking the GRE this fall.

What programs would people recomend I look at? I know it is hard to get funding for an MA, but any advice on that front would also be apreciated. Will doing an MA at a non prestigious and cheaper program affect my chances of getting into a good PhD program? I had wanted to go straight into a PhD program, but I don´t think I have the stats to get in. Also, what should I do about finding recommenders? I was thinking of using a history professor, a fine arts professor who I have had art history courses with, and perhaps my advisor.

Like I said, any advice would be highly appreciated!

Hi there!

I can't offer any help on funding (I'm doing my MA abroad so I am ineligible for just about anything but student loans) but I will say that you still sound like a competitve candidate. I didn't have to take the GRE for the schools I applied to- but I would recommend doing so sooner rather than later and study, study, study! A good GRE score will help you get the attention of admissions. While your W's will impact you a bit, a 3.6 is still a good GPA and will help counter them. For recommendations, pick instructors you have worked most closely with. Instructors who can speak to your passion and dedication. That matters more than their title. Also, really work out a good statement of purpose that explains what work you've done, how it has positively effected your education etc.

I too came from a small mostly unknown school in Alaska of all places, and I can tell you that I was accepted into three British schools with far less than you have stated you already have. Make sure you talk about your language skills, and your museum experience. Even the littlest bit of experience can go a long way if you can eloquently explain how it has helped you even if all it did was cement your passion and make your goals clearer.

I wish you the best of luck! I hope it helps!

Williams also offers a surprising number of full and half tuition scholarships for MA candidates upon admission. It's rather competitive. But I think it's safe to say that, as with most terminal MA programs, you're not necessarily expected to know exactly what you want to specialize in. MA programs will want to see evidence of deep and sustained engagement in art history, along with a solid writing sample and substantial recommendations -- where that engagement happens (be it a prestigious ivy or a little known state school) is of secondary importance.

In terms of recommenders, pick professors who can speak to your abilities as a researcher and writer. If one of your recommenders has only taught you in one introductory class (for example) and has never worked with you on a paper -- it could leave admissions committees wondering why... and perhaps give the impression that you haven't worked closely or deeply with faculty much. It's totally okay to have recommenders outside of art history -- particularly if you've worked on projects with them that deal with the visual in some way. This likewise gives you the opportunity to explain in your SOP about the lack of art history courses at your undergraduate institution.

Basically, think of your whole application as your opportunity to inspire confidence that you have what it takes to hit the ground running in graduate school.

Edited by asdf123

thanks guys!

myohmichael- I´d love to hear your insight on doing a MA abroad? I have considered applying to some univerties in England. I know the Courtauld is supposed to be the best, any others woth looking at? What is the application process like? And if you don´t mind me asking, what is a realistic budget for a program in England?

mooncake88-thanks, I´ll definately take a look at Tufts.

asdf123- That makes sense and is a relief. As for the SOP, how much explanation should go into it? Should I call attention to the Ws I got in back in community colllege or the lack of art historians at my current university?

Your aim shouldn't necessarily be to "call attention" to either your Ws or your lack of art history classes -- rather -- by way of explaining your intellectual biography, you should "call attention" to your interdisciplinary background. I'd say be frank about the lack of art history classes at your current university (lest you leave admissions committees wondering why you haven't worked closely with art history faculty) but spin it as an asset -- think about how your classes outside the field of art history have informed your approaches visual material and art-historical texts. What have you gleaned from reading philosophy, theory in your English classes, language study, etc..? Graduate programs look for well-rounded and engaged thinkers -- an interdisciplinary background coupled with strong language skills has the potential to set you apart from the pack.

Edited by asdf123