This time last year - What were you doing?

DeeLovely79

Hey all,

I've been seeing some posts for people preparing for the 2012/2013 application cycle and it got me thinking about what I was doing this time last year.

This time last year I was visiting a school in NYC that I was interested in applying to and realized that it was not the program for me!! I was also training to run my first half marathon and becoming an alumni class officer for my undergraduate class. Going to graduate school seemed so far away at that point as I was trying to fill yet another vacant position at work.

Now I'm and preparing to move 500 miles away a week from today. What a difference a year makes. What where you all doing back in July 2011? Did you think you'd be in the situation you're in now?

Back in July of 2011 I was working a part-time and a full-time job paying off student loans. I had checked out the University of Columbia, SC, for their English program in April, but didn't make any further moves to begin my application. I decided to go back to school in February of this year and last month I began my graduate program in Food and Nutrition...it's been a huge amount of changes in a short period of time!

*sigh*...this time last year I was ending a 3 week vacation in the UK that was added onto a conference I was attending...I was in London at some pub, drinking some lovely ale, eating the most delicious chips, awaiting to see a phenomenal play, and browsing lovely shops...*sigh* ...I was completly oblivious to work and school- not a care in the world.....time to invent my time machine to take me back there!!!!!

Hmm, this time last year I was working for a non-profit that works with adults with disabilities. I was also researching grad schools and gathering data for my undergrad Honours Research Essay, written that fall. I think it was around this time that I took a quick vacation to visit my grandparents in the east coast of Canada.

Wow - can't believe how long ago that was! I really didn't know then where I would be now. I kept changing my mind about which school I wanted the most!

This time last year I working a pretty cool summer research job that allowed me to watch a couple of open heart surgeries! And I was prepping for the move and visiting my boyfriend who already had moved. And playing rugby like I do every summer.

Around this time last year, I had just returned from a lovely and relaxing vacation in Kauai and began preliminary work on my grad school applications. I was filled with self doubt about the future but all the work I put into to this paid off. I started my MS program remotely back in June and am moving next month.

This time last year, I was on a three week tour of Europe and very much not looking forward to returning to my corporate job. Now, I'm still working that boring corporate job; However, in three weeks i get to quit and start grad school.

This time last year I was just finishing up my last semester of uni (as in physical presence required). Finishing up papers. Yesterday a year ago I had my B.A. oral examination. I was already pretty clear that I wanted to apply to grad school, but hadn't narrowed down the list yet. Alos, I was preparing for my year abroad...

Last year I was prepping like crazy for the revised GRE and researching which programs to apply to. The program that I eventually chose wasn't even on my radar until November, a month before the application deadline. I was also completing the revisions on my MS thesis in order to submit in time for a summer graduation date. It was also around this time, I think, that I found the GC. :)

I had just taken the GRE and was scouring this site and others to make sure I didn't want to take it again--I would have had to study for the new version practically from scratch. Thank goodness I was satisfied with my scores.

I was also ruminating on my SOP, but I don't think I actually started putting pen to paper (hands to keyboard?) until late August.

Now I'm plotting how to furnish/design my apartment, which I'll be moving into in a month. :)

Last year this time I was... six months into an unpaid internship and had just sent in my application for the job I have now. I had also just taken the GRE and was starting my list of grad schools to look at (a list which was pretty different from the schools I actually applied to!)

Now, I'm packing for my now-annual 3000+ mile move with what I can pack into two suitcases and a carry-on. (5 years in a row for moving trans-continent or trans-ocean between August and October!)

July 26 2011 I was sick. I remember this specifically because I remember lying in bed, fretting that I had to miss a few days of working in the Music office and prepping for a conference at one of my two prospective schools in Canada.

I hadn't started REALLY preparing to apply, but I was thinking that the paper I was writing for that conference could be one of my writing samples. I DID end up using it, and it also became part of the first chapter in my thesis.

Now...I submit my thesis in 5 days (!) and then since I can't do most of my shopping here, I just plan to enjoy my last days of sunshine with my friends and s.o. before flying to Calgary end of August.

This time last year, I was in the middle of making a giant spreadsheet comparing every school that had a psychology master's program in all of the areas that might influence my decision in order to help narrow my list down to the schools that I ended up applying to. What can I say, I'm going into research!

I was also taking summer classes and gearing up for the most stressful academic year of my life: GREs and other application stuff on top of five classes per semester and a research assistantship (which I was also looking for this time last year). I had no idea that I would be accepted to five out of seven of my schools, and offered scholarships at several of them! If only I could have known that I had nothing to worry about.

Now, I just finished up my final two college classes and am sitting on my couch in my new apartment with my boyfriend, preparing for the start of my rigorous one year master's program. Really, really excited.

This time last year, I was finishing up research for an undergrad thesis, funded by a fellowship, and generally getting drunk and hanging out with my friends with few cares in the world. I had started researching graduate schools, but only really had a few ideas of where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. I was fretting about taking the new GRE and desperately trolling Gradcafe.

Now, I've been moved into my new apartment for two months and am planning my course for the fall semester with two weeks to go until orientation. My boyfriend and I have been hanging out, basically just waiting for the next part of our lives to begin.

This time last year I was busy packing my things! I moved 800 miles for grad school on August 4th so a year ago today I was spending time with friends and family and packing. Now, I'm a year closer to my PhD and finishing my summer classes. It is crazy how much has changed in a year!

THis time last year I was preparing for the GRE and took it. Also prepared for the GRE subject. I had also worked full-time doing research in a lab. I was also looking into many grad schools and started my grad application.

This time last year I was finishing up the papers I still had to write for my classes and started prepping for the revised GRE. I also just started researching schools and programs...

Now I'm trying to write a draft of my master's thesis in 2 weeks, so that I can move :P

This time last year, I was in the middle of making a giant spreadsheet comparing every school that had a psychology master's program in all of the areas that might influence my decision in order to help narrow my list down to the schools that I ended up applying to. What can I say, I'm going into research!

I am glad I am not the only person who does this... for nearly everything. I just made a cost analysis spreadsheet on what the most efficient way to move! Haha.

Last year in July/ August, I was dreaming about graduate school, studying to retake the terrible GMAT, working at a gym, and signing on to become a substitute teacher.

This time last year I was excited to switch to a new charter school to teach high school, but dreading the beginning of the school year (as all teachers do :) ). I hadn't even considered going to grad school. Little did I know that in just a couple short months I would realize that teaching is no longer for me, I wanted to go back into science, and started applying/gre studying like a crazy person to get into grad school. I am so happy I made it!