PhD programs in microbiology...getting in/advice

misskarinb

Hi all,

So I'm sure this is a somewhat redundant (or common) post, but I'm applying to microbiology PhD programs this fall and am having some difficulties determining if my application will be competitive enough. Here are my stats:

BS in microbiology at UC Davis, GPA 3.5

MS at San Francisco State, GPA 4.0

GRE: 630q/660v/4.5AW

I had about a year of research experience as an undergrad and a year and a half as a masters student. I ran a microbiology department in an environmental lab for about 2 years. I know my GRE scores are low and I'm trying to raise them. Any thoughts or advice? I would appreciate any and all advice or comments.

Thanks

Your GRE verbal is fine, the quantitative is quite low (most programs want the equivalent of 700+ in the old system). Your undergrad GPA is fine, although not impressive.

When I interviewed at Micro programs, I got the impression that while a few really selected for high GPA/GRE, others didn't really care as long as they didn't fall below some threshhold the program considered alarmingly low. Programs that posted things like average GPA/GRE scores of their students (not many do) typically were in we consider GPA/GRE important group.

But no matter what, the GPA/GRE never seemd to be deciding factors- they apparently could keep you out if atrocious, but never got anyone in. At every program I interviewed at, by far the most important factor seemed to be research experience - having meaningful research experience, being able to write and speak coherently about it, and having letters from your supervisors saying that you did a bang-up job during said research experience. And bang-up job does not have to mean publications- I had none and was consistently told I had amazing letters. Most profs seemed very impressed that I worked independently and not under a grad student or postdoc, so maybe you could emphasize that you ran micro dept in the enviro lab and presumably had some degree of autonomy...

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I will try and get my GRE scores up, and focus my personal statement on my research experience. I really appreciate your input! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think since you have masters under your belt, they may be willing to over look what you have done with the GRE.. The GRE is a judge of how well you will do in graduate school and you have proof that you can do well based on your MS GPA. I think they will also like that you have work experience. you would be better equipped to handle some of the issues that phd's bring.

Liddy is right. I don't have any publications either but i was very strong in lab both work and in academia as well.. I would try to bring up my GRE score, but i would focus on getting a personal statement that really highlights your assets as a researcher and tailor where you apply too based on your overall picture....

I think you could do well during your application cycle...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm an international student planning on applying to PhD Micro programs and I have no idea whatsoever of my chances. My applicant profile is as follows:

Undergraduate School: Top 10 University in Spain

Major: Microbiology

Overall GPA: 3.08 after degree conversion to U.S. GPA

Position in Class: 76 of 243

Graduate School: #1 University in Spain

MS in Advanced Microbiology

Overall GPA: 3.78 after degree conversion to U.S. GPA

Type of student: international, female

GRE scores:

Q: 149

V: 155

A: 3.0

(retaking the GRE; I think I can certainly do better than that =)

IELTS: 8.5 of 9

Research Experience: 1 summer of research and 1 undergraduate thesis in a biotech industry in Germany, 4 months of academic research in a Top 20 University in Germany with a european mobility grant, 6 months TA of undergraduate lab classes at my alma mater in Spain, +1 year as lab analyst/ master thesis at a pharma industry (Spain) with one central project and some minor projects, and currently 2 years working as R&D Technician/ Project Leader at a pharma industry (Spain) in collaboration with both academic and medical groups on a variety of "hot topics" not related to microbiology, but molecular and cell biology.

1 oral communication at a national congress and 1 poster at an international conference in the U.S. (both as mid author)

Awards: the European Mobility Grant

Special Bonuses: (maybe) a patent in a related field to biomedicine/ bioengineering

Any other Info that might help: I speak 4 languages fluently (Spanish, Catalan, German and English)

Applying to: all PhD programs

Indiana University Bloomington, University of Rochester, University of Pittsburgh, Princeton University, University of British Columbia (Canada), University of Washington, MIT.

Do you think I'm hopelessly aiming too high or is there a fair chance to be competitive?

Thanks for your help!!!