How do you become a Professor?

tesolin4languages

Hello!

I'm a guy that has as an ambition to become a Professor at an American university, teaching TESOL.

I currently have an MS in Education and TESOL.

I recently got hired at a higher ed institution, but as an Adjunct Instructor.

I am told that I will never be a Professor without a PhD.

1)Can anyone that knows how things work tell me what are my options?

2)For now, my short term goal is to become an Instructor (not Adjunct). Can anyone explain their views on this?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time and views.

DMC

Edited by tesolin4languages

Teaching at the college level pretty much requires the terminal degree in your discipline. And I'm using terminal degree here, because, rarely, a masters-level degree is considered terminal (MFA, MBA) and is OK for teaching at the college level.

But what you were told is pretty much correct- you need a PhD for a professorship. Is there any particular reason you're looking to change course to an instructor position rather than working on a PhD and going forward with the professor route?

It's possible to get an instructor position at lower-tier universities with a masters, but you're going to be competing against people with doctorates, so the chances aren't great.

Eigen, I'm currently not in a PhD program because I want to work for a few years. The Master's was tough and rigorous, and I want to put what I learned into practice.

Later on, I intend to go into a PhD program. Of course, this might change, but for now, it's in the plans.

Thanks for your reply.

If anyone else has an opinion, please feel free to express it!

BTW everyone, I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to this, so please excuse the potentially ignorant ?ions.

1) I was told that many PhD programs in the nation give you a 100% waiver and, on top of that, they give you a stipend. Could any1 expand on this, or explain it better to me?

Thanks!!!

Could you clarify what about that is unclear? It might help with someone explaining it to you, as the statement seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

Sorry Eigen.

Let's forget about my mistake.

I want to know, also, whether PhD programs waive tuition and provide stipends for students. I know my university does, for example.

However, I am unclear as to how I go about getting those coveted things.

I must have mixed two topics into one, thus creating a confusion - something which I apologize for.

2) Also, I hear that Instructors at top universities get just a tad less than what an associate professor would. Am I correct, or is this just speculation or context-dependent?

Thanks

DMC

I can't say for your field in particular, or necessarily speak to "top universities", but from what I've seen, instructors, especially with a masters, make about half of what a corresponding associate prof makes, in addition to the lack of job security (Tenure).

For salaries, try this:

http://chronicle.com/article/faculty-salaries-data-2012/131431/

Like Eigen said, it varies from field to field and by university. Also keep in mind that there are differences in salaries for research professors (whom also usually teach) and teaching only professors. The former has the potential to make a lot more money based on grant funding.

In general, for tenure-track professorships, a PhD is required. And even then, these positions are extremely difficult to get and highly competitive. You should talk to more people in your field or even your previous universities to get more info.

To answer your question about funding, many PhD programs will fund the students they accept. You do not need to "qualify" or apply for this funding; you will receive it upon being accepted to the program.

The trick is getting accepted to a program.

To answer your question about funding, many PhD programs will fund the students they accept. You do not need to "qualify" or apply for this funding; you will receive it upon being accepted to the program.

The trick is getting accepted to a program.

Thanks Stately. Yes, that is what happenned to me at my University. I received a very significant tuition waiver upon being accepted.

The big thing I am looking for is to avoid $50k (give or take) for a PhD program (3-5yrs, depending on the University). I have friends that got a 100% waiver, and they tell me they would not have started their program unless it was fully paid for.

I mean professors tell me they have met ppl that have been happy at the MS level all their lives.....

WHat I want is to have a few extra yrs of experience teaching TESOL at the college level (I'm currently an adjunct) and reassess when appropriate. But still I keep asking myself these questions....(it is quite frustrating lol - I'm sure many of you, with more experience than I have fully understand :)

I just want to add that the title "Professor" is not legally protected in Canada/US and some schools do grant the title to people who do not hold PhDs. These don't even have to be tenure-tracked or include research (i.e. many other places would call these employees "instructors" or "adjuncts" instead). In addition, the term "professor" is used colloquially to mean any instructor at the college level.

Professors are usually tenured employees with research and administrative responsibilities on top of teaching. They aren't "just" more experienced/more senior instructors -- I'd argue that the professor job and the instructor job are similar, but distinct career paths and if your primary goal is to teach, maybe the professor path isn't ideal.

In addition, to address your point about stipend, most of the time you are told what your stipend/waiver would be when you are accepted to a school. So, if that is a concern but you still want to attend PhD programs, you could always just spend the time (and money) to apply to programs that interest you and then see if the stipend they offer is acceptable. You might be able to filter out some schools because most of them will say whether or not they provide these things in their admissions information (but usually not the exact amounts since that can vary).

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on where you want to teach. Different regions and colleges have different requirements. For example, at R1 universities, you most definitely have to have a PhD, published articles, funding, etc., to even consider being a contender. However, for more teaching-focused colleges, this is not always the case. More often than not, you can apply for a professor position with just a master's degree. Of course, you need experience and it really helps if you have been diligent about networking, if so, you will see doors start to open up if you are successful at the latter. If you are willing to work in the more rural areas where professor recruitment may be a bit more difficult, you will also find people who occupy professor positions with master's degrees. Community colleges also do not require that professors have PhDs. However, in a recession, you might find that due to competition and PhDs not finding as many job openings in larger universities, these candidates have gone to smaller colleges and community colleges and have started to occupy positions that used to only require a master's degree, thereby upping the requirements for other applicants.

Your discipline area is also important. Do you possess a skill that is in demand and that is harder to find in other candidates? If so, you might find yourself in a position to become a professor with just a master's degree. What is your native language? Do you have credentials in it? Being able to teach more than just one area is a desirable trait, especially in this economy.

The terminology used for college teachers also depends on the institution. There are PhDs who are adjuncts and others who are instructors. It just depends on this institution. Some community colleges call all of their college teachers "instructors", while others use the term "professor". Look up some of the smaller colleges and community colleges and you will see that their faculty, even sometimes department heads, possess just a master's degree. I once worked at a community college, that later took out the "community" in its name, and two of the academic deans who also taught classes, just had master's degrees. While what I have written may not be a popular option, and it may not be the norm, but it is possible.

• 4 months later...

It depends on where you want to teach. Different regions and colleges have different requirements. For example, at R1 universities, you most definitely have to have a PhD, published articles, funding, etc., to even consider being a contender. However, for more teaching-focused colleges, this is not always the case. More often than not, you can apply for a professor position with just a master's degree. Of course, you need experience and it really helps if you have been diligent about networking, if so, you will see doors start to open up if you are successful at the latter. If you are willing to work in the more rural areas where professor recruitment may be a bit more difficult, you will also find people who occupy professor positions with master's degrees. Community colleges also do not require that professors have PhDs. However, in a recession, you might find that due to competition and PhDs not finding as many job openings in larger universities, these candidates have gone to smaller colleges and community colleges and have started to occupy positions that used to only require a master's degree, thereby upping the requirements for other applicants.

Your discipline area is also important. Do you possess a skill that is in demand and that is harder to find in other candidates? If so, you might find yourself in a position to become a professor with just a master's degree. What is your native language? Do you have credentials in it? Being able to teach more than just one area is a desirable trait, especially in this economy.

The terminology used for college teachers also depends on the institution. There are PhDs who are adjuncts and others who are instructors. It just depends on this institution. Some community colleges call all of their college teachers "instructors", while others use the term "professor". Look up some of the smaller colleges and community colleges and you will see that their faculty, even sometimes department heads, possess just a master's degree. I once worked at a community college, that later took out the "community" in its name, and two of the academic deans who also taught classes, just had master's degrees. While what I have written may not be a popular option, and it may not be the norm, but it is possible.

Thanks profev!

Well, I am an adjunct professor at a college that teaches EAP/ESL in Orlando.

The perils of being an adjunct are very well-known to all of us: one day we might have 4 classes in a semester, and another semester we will have none.

Yes, I have a second job at a language institute - but still, it barely pays the bills. I don't have a a lavish lifestyle, but I need to be successful - I keep thinking that PhD programs are the only way to go. Interestingly, I look at PhD program courses and a good chunk are consistently "research"

In other words, I am scared.

To make a long story short: I want to be a professor teaching graduate students TESOL/Second Language Acquisition theories and practice.

Any more input? I could go on, but I'm formulating this post with the ultimate goal of being easy to read and easy to reply to.

An alternative is to do what I do now (teach ESL) at a college.

Ultimately, I want a contract, and a consitstent sallary 50-70k

Yes, I might be much older when I receive that kind of money - and I will work towards it.

I know it takes time - especially in education.

• 1 month later...

Well, if you want to teach graduate students you must have a PhD.  If you want to teach undergraduates, especially at a community college, you can get by with a master's, but in the economy it is the exception, not the rule.

You also might want to consider changing your location.  Florida has a surplus of professionals with ESOL credentials.  So you might consider working in another state where that is not the case and you won't have as much competition.

Have you considered working in another country?  There is a huge need for ESOL professors abroad, and some pay very well, especially in the Middle East and Asia.

You can teach community college as a lecturer with a Masters usually.

I know at my school (UC Davis), you have to do research in addition to teaching to be called professor. That requires a PhD (or other terminal degree). We also have lecturers on campus that have a terminal degree, but they do not conduct research, so they are not called a professor.

I hope that clarifies some of the terminology, at least for a University of CA. It might vary, depending on where you want to teach and at what level and with what responsibilities. 

Sorry Eigen.

Let's forget about my mistake.

I want to know, also, whether PhD programs waive tuition and provide stipends for students. I know my university does, for example.

However, I am unclear as to how I go about getting those coveted things.

I must have mixed two topics into one, thus creating a confusion - something which I apologize for.

2) Also, I hear that Instructors at top universities get just a tad less than what an associate professor would. Am I correct, or is this just speculation or context-dependent?

Thanks

DMC

I only applied to schools that fund graduate students, but I understand there are graduate schools which do not necessarily do so and the application process is different. Luckily, I was admitted and fully funded :D

You are also less likely to be hired at the same university where you recieved your education.

Part of the reason being, the university does not want to others to assume neptosim, but as well, you may offer less new insight than a student from a different school.

If you were trained at university (A), by professors (X) (Y) (Z), and then work at that same university, you will most likely have similar viewpoints and topics of research to (X) (Y) (Z), where as a student from university (B) might help significantly more to broaden the research scope of the university.  In short, they don't need another (X) (Y) (Z) because they already have one.

• 4 weeks later...

^That depends on your university.  There are some universities that like to hire their own graduates.  There are some departments that don't mind having a lot of people who do research all within area X, but take different perspectives on it - my department is like that.

^That depends on your university.  There are some universities that like to hire their own graduates.  There are some departments that don't mind having a lot of people who do research all within area X, but take different perspectives on it - my department is like that.

Yes of course, like with anything in life there is a great deal of variability. 

That admitted, I would wager more often than not, what I had said comes into play.

Yes of course, like with anything in life there is a great deal of variability. 

That admitted, I would wager more often than not, what I had said comes into play.

i don't know, a lot of EE professors i've looked at at the top schools tended to have a phd from the intstitution where they teach. of course, there is an obvious bias here: phd students at the top universities tend to be highly skilled, which leads to them getting positions at high universities, of which there are only a few.