Improving Quantitative Score

ajacot924

Hey Everyone!

I have about a year to study for the GRE to apply for the Ph.D. program in Curriculum and Instruction.

I took the GRE in December to apply to the Master's program, which I start next month.

I got a 161 Verbal and 146 Quantitative.

I know what I need to do to improve my verbal score, but math has NEVER been my strong suit.

Can anyone recommend books, courses, etc. to help improve my quantitative score?

I want to start now so I can give myself plenty of time to study.

Thanks so much!

Hey Everyone!

I have about a year to study for the GRE to apply for the Ph.D. program in Curriculum and Instruction.

I took the GRE in December to apply to the Master's program, which I start next month.

I got a 161 Verbal and 146 Quantitative.

I know what I need to do to improve my verbal score, but math has NEVER been my strong suit.

Can anyone recommend books, courses, etc. to help improve my quantitative score?

I want to start now so I can give myself plenty of time to study.

Thanks so much!

depends on your target score for quant

if you need the same 161 quant score then self-study will help you above that ceiling you need either more than a year of intensive GRE math practice or tutor who will direct your studies and approach your weak areas more analytitcally than yourself

I'm also pretty terrible at math. I think using Princeton Review has helped a lot though. I would also check the ETS website. I was looking around on it yesterday and noticed they had two extensive free PDFs devoted just to math. Not sure if it would be helpful or not, but it may be worth a shot.

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare

I've been covering the Math Section of the Cracking the Gre 2013 from PR. I has been excellent for removing the dust from all those concepts I haven't used in many years, but I've read in many places that its exercises are too easy for the real deal, so I will complement it with Kaplan's GRE Math and McGraw Hill's Conquering the GRE Math.

Also, depending on how I do after that, I'll try Manhattan's books which are thorough and I've read many people saying the are the best ones. They are so complete they basically have a book for each type of section or area that the test covers, and its drills are the hardest.