SIPA Acceptance Today?

There is a SIPA acceptance on the Results page today. For the MIA. It says it was received by email. However the very first line on the SIPA Admissions Blog for today is :

"The Admissions Committee still has a lot of work to do and decisions have not started to go out yet (early March has always been our goal)"

Can anyone here confirm that they have heard from SIPA?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it might be real . . . I'm not really sure. Perhaps it came from a professor, or someone else, who the person may have had personal contact with. But from what I can gather, they really don't start sending decisions until early March.

Two years of records show decisions seem to support the early March date. I would bet that we'll get something around this time next week.

I wouldn't worry about it until then.

Yes, you're probably right. In any case, the decision is supposed to come up on the website (with an email to check the site) and I don't see anything when I check the site. Also, they were still asking me for additional information last Friday, so it would seem they are still at work on the apps.

Can you describe where on the website you saw this? I can't find it anywhere. However, if they are doing it alphabetically they may not have gotten to me yet as I have a last name with a Z. Also, they did mention that only half of the decisions would be posted this week.

Sure. You have to login to your applyyourself.com account using your PIN and password. On the homepage, below the list of required materials, "Decision Status: Available beginning 3/4/2009" can be found. I clicked the link below that and my letter popped up. They are JUST starting to send acceptances and actually included the date as you can see above, so i wouldn't worry. Also, there was no mention of batches of applications or anything. I'd say, have a look and if there's no "Decision Status" part then all you can assume is that they just haven't decided on your application yet.

yeah, from checking the description on the admissions blog, it seems that a little under half of applicants are still under review, either because there was not a consensus on their application among the admissions staff or they are being considered for funding. so lets hope all of us who havent work have big funding offers coming our way! :D

Got accepted today without funding. Randomly checked my status today during a business meeting after reading on the blog that they would begin reporting today. Almost screamed out loud when I saw I had been accepted. Really excited because SIPA is one of my top choices. :)

Wait listed without funding. And a final decision could be made 'in a few months'. Yikes!

Ok I had to chuckle at that one! I imagine they would waitlist people without funding. Unless someone has ever been waitlisted with funding!!

They usually go to the wait list when people begin declining admission offers, usually because they can not afford to attend SIPA. The question is whether the list is ranked or randomized.

My bad. I meant wait listed without any hope in hell of funding. Here's what they said:

"Please note that all fellowship funds for the 2009-2010 academic year have been expended. Therefore, no offers of fellowship will be made to those admitted from the waitlist. However, if you are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, and have submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you may be eligible to receive federal student loans of up to $24,500 and a work-study grant of $4,000. Many international students who have co-signers in the U.S. have been able to access private educational loans in the past. More information about these and other financial aid opportunities is available should an offer of admission be made."

They sure put it bluntly. But Columbia as a whole is typically very stingy with funding. I have had experience with this with them. Based on their admissions site, they said offers nominated for fellowship would be posted later. It so far is holding true because all posts so far have been without funding.

splic if SIPA is a top choice for you, you might want to wait a bit and then contact them sometime in April before you make any final decisions to see where you are on the waitlist. In previous years they have tapped into the waitlist as late as early summer.

SIPA is so expensive anyway! Their projected costs (no doubt because of the NYC location) are above 60,000 a year. Even with a fellowship, it's hard to imagine that being a reasonable debt load, right? I think that's why so many public affairs grads end up in private affairs - they don't realize how severe the debt will be until after they enroll.

I'm still waiting on a couple of other colleges, so I'm guessing I'll probably have to call them in April. SIPA seems to have considerably less funding than some of Columbia's other schools. My girlfriend is applying to the journalism school, and she had to fill an exhaustive scholarship aid form.

From what I've heard about SIPA is that they give the vast majority of students a decent aid package for their second year at the school. But yeah, it's very pricey.

Check this out: http://sipa.columbia.edu/resources_serv ... s_aid.html

I agree about your name. It is perhaps the second best name on the forum next to pregasauraus

Anyway, the SIPA people responsible for finaid came under fire last semester for reportedly painting an incorrect picture on the amount of students who get financial aid. It is less than the way they describe it on the original site. Check out relevant Morningside Post articles from last semester about this.

I found one article about this

http://themorningsidepost.com/2008/08/5 ... very-time/

But the redesigned site is a bit difficult to navigate and I could not find the post that a finaid officer replied to.

I agree about your name. It is perhaps the second best name on the forum next to pregasauraus

Anyway, the SIPA people responsible for finaid came under fire last semester for reportedly painting an incorrect picture on the amount of students who get financial aid. It is less than the way they describe it on the original site. Check out relevant Morningside Post articles from last semester about this.

I found one article about this

http://themorningsidepost.com/2008/08/5 ... very-time/

But the redesigned site is a bit difficult to navigate and I could not find the post that a finaid officer replied to.

Interesting blog post...

Admitted, but no $$$

This makes me very happy, as it means I'm going to be a very competitive applicant at all my other schools :shock:

I'd be very happy to go to any of the top 4 schools I applied to (SIPA, SAIS, MSFS, MALD) so my decision will probably come down to the C.R.E.A.M.