PhD Admissions without funding - need advice

nahid5692001

Hello,

Back in January 2012, I got accepted to my #1 choice graduate school for a PhD degree. They invited me to a visit along with many other students. During the visit, I was told that PhD students do not get funding for their first term. Majority of the students that visited with me did not receive funding as well. I believe only 2 proplr did who had a Masters degree. I have a BS degree only.

They stated I can apply for a TA position during Winter 2013 term and thus am unfunded for Fall 2012 term.

When I got admitted, I received a letter from my professor that I wanted to work under which stated:

You may be interested to know that we received 247 applications for graduate studies our field and that we accepted only 17 students.

My parents and I have decided to pay out of pocket/loan as long as needed. I want to believe that I am a part of small group that got accepted and that I will get funding eventually (or maybe last minute).

Just a week ago, I emailed him stating my status and that I will be joining in September. I asked if we could meet to discuss how I can get involved. He stated he would be happy to meet to discuss possible research projects and we negotiate a time to meet.

From my point of view, everything seems to be good. After reading through a lot of threads, I am just worried that I may never receive a TA. I am expecting to pay for the first term but would like a TA/RA position in the following terms. A TA is all I require so I can start doing research without the worry of funding.

What do you guys think? Am I taking the right steps? I am trying to keep constant contact with my professor without being obnoxious. Any help is appreciated.

• 2 years later...