Question regarding ETS Practice Test Score

CQE

That's how I had been doing, albeit not QUITE as good. I was missing in the range of 5-8 per test on the last 3 Kaplan tests I took (which is a range of 162-165 according to the aegedu link).

BTW, aegedu's conversion table seems to be based off of a -1 curve, meaning for every problem you miss, your score decreases by 1.

Therefore, 40 right = 170, 39 right = 169, 38 right = 168, and so on.

I would imagine that most of the time the curve would be -1 to -1.5.

-2.0 seems too harsh, but I suppose it's plausible every now and again on supposedly "easier" math sets.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

I double checked the scores mentioned with the conversion table shown on the ETS Official Guide (page 351, the one you mentioned).

My case:

34 out of 40, that's 42.5 which according to page 351 is 750-800. (750-800 range goes from 37 raw score, to 50, so 42.5 should be a little lower than half of that). If you compare the 750-800 range in the PR's table it will give you a range from 160-170. In that case, it makes sense that it is a 164 as it is approximately on the lower middle of the range.

Your case:

35 out of 40, that's 43.75 which is also 750-800 range according to page 351. That's almost exactly half of the interval (50-37)/2) so your score should be closer to 165.

According to my studying schedule I will do the ETS book's test on August 17th, so I'll let you know how I do.

Edited by alf10087

Yes, 35/40 and 36/40. However, on test day I felt that the questions were heavier than the ones I was used to and I didn't solve 4 questions of the second part. (maybe I should note that my computer crushed during the break and it took them 30min to fix it... Maybe my weak performance was because of a concentration lack)

It seems as though my math has regressed significantly, which makes absolutely ZERO sense.

At the beginning of last week, I finished all of the tests in Kaplan's 2011 book/CD and was scoring 32+ out of 40 consistently. On the final practice test, I scored 35/40, which is around a 159-160.

Today I went 28/40.

That's after watching Magoosh vids out the ass and doing 350+ problems.

I have to do something, though. Sitting on my hands for the next 5 days will not improve matters.

You could be getting burnt out from overstudying -- you might just need some rest. Can you take a day off, and then get back at it?

Edited by emmm

Yes, 35/40 and 36/40. However, on test day I felt that the questions were heavier than the ones I was used to and I didn't solve 4 questions of the second part. (maybe I should note that my computer crushed during the break and it took them 30min to fix it... Maybe my weak performance was because of a concentration lack)

That's discouraging to hear. I was hoping 35/40 and 36/40 would net you around a 164.

Damn.

...just another day in the 'hood. :ph34r:

You could be getting burnt out from overstudying -- you might just need some rest. Can you take a day off, and then get back at it?

I took it easy yesterday. I only did 100 vocabulary words and read through the math appendix of Kaplan 2011 to refamiliarize myself with the basics of all the problems I may see.

I'm going to get back at it (math) today. I plan on reviewing the basics, then focusing solely on one area at a time (say 10-20 problems per math question type) until I'm comfortable with that type of problem.

Already did the test on the ETS Official Guide. My raw scores were 39/50 on Verbal and 42/50 on Quantitative.

The book says I'm 660-760 on Verbal and 750-800 on Quantitative. Seems on par with the results Princeton Review gave me.

I still have exactly one month to study, so my goals now are to convert those scores into a minimum and improve them if possible, knowing that the marginal cost increases with each point increment.

@BlazerFalcon: so, what was your actual score?

154/154.

308 total.

Still awaiting my AWA score, but I'm guessing a 5+ based off of the sample essays I've read.

Oh, this seems pretty low given the relatively high scores you received for your practice test. But I had the same problem when I fist took the test. Are you thinking of retaking the test? Did you also have the impression that the math stuff was much harder on the actual test compared to the prep tests?

Oh, this seems pretty low given the relatively high scores you received for your practice test. But I had the same problem when I fist took the test. Are you thinking of retaking the test? Did you also have the impression that the math stuff was much harder on the actual test compared to the prep tests?

Well, I did score a 154/154 on Kaplan's free online PT.

I was around that area on the Powerprep II test as well (on the lower-end of the ranges, which is what I expected).

And actually, I was shocked when I saw 154/154 after the test. I really felt I had a chance at 160/160 because the material - the math at least - seemed easier than my PTs.

I was literally stunned my math wasn't higher. It seemed cake in comparison to Magoosh and my other tests. It was probably most comparable to Kaplan's math, IMO.

Well, I did score a 154/154 on Kaplan's free online PT.

I was around that area on the Powerprep II test as well (on the lower-end of the ranges, which is what I expected).

And actually, I was shocked when I saw 154/154 after the test. I really felt I had a chance at 160/160 because the material - the math at least - seemed easier than my PTs.

I was literally stunned my math wasn't higher. It seemed cake in comparison to Magoosh and my other tests. It was probably most comparable to Kaplan's math, IMO.

on a test day many will depend on ability to work under stress.

your math wiz as to how and what you are able to solve matters less than your ability to think before setting yourself for the solution process. This is the so called strategic element with general GRE contrasted to many subject tests. One note: many math PhD programs still require general GRE test from their applicants despite the fact that they will only need quant background which is better attested by subject test. The only reason they do that is to cut the short of people who are able to prioritize under time constraints and in the stressful environment of test.

The only way to curb the stress for any one like me, and I guess you as well, is to get used to the test's timing format be it the paper-based test or computer based one, have good rest before the test day. For example, before my exam, I spent like 11-12 hours in traveling over night with no possibility to sleep, rest, eat - not speaking about reciting some words for say verbal sections. I entered the test room with a vague head and scored 161 in Q and 152 V. I used to hit 90% correctly for all Magoosh problems at the first sitting and would score Q 164-166 with MGRE tests, Q 163-168 Kaplan online MSTs, Q 162-167 Barron's 4 online tests

When stressed, we shall commit inane actions

Edited by pemdas

on a test day many will depend on ability to work under stress.

your math wiz as to how and what you are able to solve matters less than your ability to think before setting yourself for the solution process. This is the so called strategic element with general GRE contrasted to many subject tests. One note: many math PhD programs still require general GRE test from their applicants despite the fact that they will only need quant background which is better attested by subject test. The only reason they do that is to cut the short of people who are able to prioritize under time constraints and in the stressful environment of test.

The only way to curb the stress for any one like me, and I guess you as well, is to get used to the test's timing format be it the paper-based test or computer based one, have good rest before the test day. For example, before my exam, I spent like 11-12 hours in traveling over night with no possibility to sleep, rest, eat - not speaking about reciting some words for say verbal sections. I entered the test room with a vague head and scored 161 in Q and 152 V. I used to hit 90% correctly for all Magoosh problems at the first sitting and would score Q 164-166 with MGRE tests, Q 163-168 Kaplan online MSTs, Q 162-167 Barron's 4 online tests

When stressed, we shall commit inane actions

Thing is, I wasn't dominating my PTs the two weeks prior to the real thing. I was scoring in the 150s. So it's not as if I severly underperformed based off of how I was doing in those two weeks before my actual test date.

Additionally, I wouldn't say I was "nervous" or "stressed" while taking the test. I'm not going to say I wasn't a little nervous or anxious at times a couple hours prior to the real thing because I did indeed experience a little anxiety. However, I was pretty calm both before and during the test, for the most part - especially DURING the test.

I've never been one to get stressed during tests, so I know that's not the issue with me.

The issue with me was that I didn't know WTF I was doing the first couple weeks of my study regimen and, considering I only studied for 4-5 weeks, that bit me in the end, even though I "figured it out" ("it" being how to study) near the end of my preparation.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

heh, how you know if you stressed or not? this is common issue we do mistakes or rash under stress

the stress is not the constant condition we enter into when we need to work or take GRE. It's just environment which causes stress and the only way to overcome the stress if to be healthy. It's not possible not be exposed to stress - we should be able to fight the stress and sustain under stressful factors

Only with great confidence obtained in your prior studies and vast energy stress can be defeated. Otherwise it's done

i think overstudying could be a big problem for a lot of these standardized tests. these are designed to be "aptitude tests" so all you could really do is to learn the format of the tests, study strategies for attacking diff types of problems, and maybe memorize some vocab that appear frequently.

personally for me the 5 Kaplan online exams that come with the prep book were the best indicators of my actual score. well actually i thought one of them was too hard but the other 4 were almost on par with what i actually got.