Getting LOR's Three Years after Graduation

Hello Everyone!

I am currently in a Master's Program.

I plan to pursue my Ph.D. three years after graduation.

I want to gain more work experience and handle some personal things before I make that big committment.

I know it is fairly typical to take time off between degrees, but how do you get the LOR's if you haven't been in school for three years?

I'm afraid my professors won't remember me.

Thanks!

I'm doing this soon. I've been out of my master's program for 3 years.

Luckily, I've maintained close relationships with two professors that I know will write me LORs. I've published two papers with those faculty since leaving. I've hinted to both of them that my office job is eating my soul and that I want to return to school.

But the target of my third LOR is a professor that, you guessed it, I haven't spoken to since graduation. I am going to slowly try to reconnect via email when the time comes (I no longer live in my graduate city). I'll also visit that campus this upcoming year and try to catch him for lunch and tell him I am planning to apply to PhD schools and ask for his advice first (which I greatly value), and then maybe an LOR later on days or weeks after. Unlike the other two profs, he doesn't share my same research interests but I took two cornerstone classes with him and I think he will speak highly of my work in class (the other two can cover research).

You sound in a good position since you are in your master's program now. Make it a point to stay in touch with key faculty. I can't stress this enough. Ask them questions about where their research is headed. Give them updates on what you are doing in industry. Just keep a connection on anything. Email and phone (phone is better). Frame it as you want to continue to mentor under them, and you respect their advice. But also respect their time. This doesn't have to be weekly. Just a few updates each semester or year. That way, when it comes time to ask they a) are more likely to say yes and B) are up to speed on your progress and interests (which will change in 3 years time).

Hope that helps.