Older SLP grad students

rai

Are there any students out there who are over 50? I am 51 ths year and much as I enjoy the field of speech I am seriously debating the pros and cons of pursuing grad school. It's not that I don't want to - the desire is there BUT my concerns are: a) if I apply and don't get accepted first time around, another year or so has passed looking now at age 52, B) the cost at my age of getting a degree and have student loans in my late 50s, c) would I be hireable? If I were to interview for a job who would hire someone who only maybe has a career of 10-15 more years? People say age is only a number - yes maybe true but I have valid concerns. It would just be interesting to hear people's advice or opinions..

• 3 weeks later...

There was a women in my post bacc cohort who I think was in her 50's (she didn't say but this was a third career and she has an adult daughter). So it has been done before. It would be illegal for them to not hire you based on your age, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Plus SLPs are in such demand that having one for 10-15 years is pretty good (if you think about it many of your younger classmates won't stay at the same job for 10-15 years and whoever hires you is really only worried about how long you will work for them). I think the most valid point you make is that you would have student loans into your late 50's. Not because of the age so much but because you may have them well into the span of your career. But a lot of people will have to deal with loans for years into their working life so again, you won't be alone in that. I think what you need to figure out is if this is something you want? Regardless of the age-related cons is this something you think you want to do for the rest of your working life?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'll be 30 this year and I'm waiting to hear back from programs I applied to this year. I think schools are excited to have older students because they know the maturity level and dedication will be there!

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but the topic interests me. Several things:

Norcal if you think they cant discriminate by age because its illegal you are mistaken. Age discrimination is almost impossible to prove. They practically have to say "We aren't hiring you because of your age. You're too old."   I have a background in Biology and decades of experience. In my 40's I could get any job I applied for. When I hit 50 it was like a switch turned off. No more interviews, not even for jobs I had done before. When I spoke with the Director of an SLP program lately about considering a career switch to SLP at my age she even made a point of mentioning the possibility it might be harder to get a job than a young person because of my age. But it would (IMO) still be easier than in my current field, because the job outlook isnt nearly as rosy and there are way more job seekers than jobs.

Its also interesting because I see people here call themselves "older students" when they are in their 20's or early 30s and wonder if its too late for them. I understand that because I was in my late 20's before I finished my BA and I did feel "older", but at my current age I can't help but be slightly amused by such worries. But I still sympathize; I would want to enter an online program myself to minimize feeling out of place.

I assume the original poster decided against SLP because we never heard from her again. That's too bad because she was definitely not too old. I'm 57 and really on or past the cusp of "too old". But good opportunities in my field have shriveled up and I can't physically do some of them anymore, so I am very seriously considering a return to school for SLP. I'd have to do a leveling program of course, and I'd be in my 60s before I could finish. But I also could do the work well into my 70s, I figure, as long as I remain healthy.  Its a very tough decision for me because I dont even know if I'll get accepted to grad school. While I do bring a lot of life experience and I think I can excel academically, my undergrad GPA was only around 3. But it was also decades ago. My GPA is 4.0 for the 2 classes I've taken since 2011, including one grad class. If only I could get them to ignore my undergrad work, but they won't despite the fact its almost 30 years old.

So are there any other really old students or potential SLP students like me? I doubt there are any older...I might set the record if I go through with this, lol.

Edited by tonguelover