Is it possible to succeed in applying to MFA fine arts with a different BA degree?

abcdef123

i'm a qualified (medical) doctor, graduated in UK summer 2011, and have a foundation diploma in art and design (2008). i am not familiar with US art programs.- to apply for fall 2013 MFA, would this be a bad idea? is it conceivable that the strength of a portfolio, rather than having a BA fine arts would be enough to land an MFA place?

• 5 months later...

Some of the greats were doctors. Off the top of my head, Andre Breton was a neurologist. Further back (and in a different field) John Keats studied medicine. My thesis advisor finished an AB before his BFA and MFA and one of my professors now received an AB and then proceeded to a BFA. I am moving in the opposite direction from a BFA to an MA. I can say this and you might agree—the BA and the BFA require the development of different skill sets, but also the ability to exist within a certain field. It has been difficult moving from studio art to art history because I never quite feel like I know where I stand in relation to my peers. 

From my understanding MFA admissions place a significant weight on the portfolio as well as an applicant's fit with the program. My advice would be to get to know some of the graduates from the program you're looking to apply to. There are often opportunities to visit studios. If not—these days—it is not so difficult to get in touch with a grad student whose work you admire. 

I think in general, my hunch would be that most MFA programs will view your background in medicine as a positive.