What can I do to make myself stand out for my grad school application?

chriscoff

Dear Reader,

I'm currently a senior graduating May 2014 with a dual degree in Law and Women's Studies. I'm interested in getting my masters in social work, however I'm puzzled as to how I can make myself stand out from the vast majority of individuals applying for the MSW.

I thought that I could post on here to get advice from accepted individuals in the MSW program. My main questions are: how important is GPA, is there a GPA that is too low? How important are extra curricular activities, such as leadership positions in student organizations? And How important is having volunteering or social work experience?

My GPA is over 3.0 but not that much over, but I do have student leadership experience, and I am volunteering at a women's shelter and a homeless shelter. I have a job as an athletics tutor but that's all the credentials I have so far.

Can anyone give me tips to make myself stand out?

I don't know that I can speak to how to make your application stand out, but I wanted to share that my GPA was just barely over a 3.0, and I had no student leadership experience in college. (well, I had some, but it didn't make it on my resume).

I did have 4 years of social work experience, and that got me admitted with a respectable scholarship.

Personally, I recommend taking a few years and working in the field. It will give you good experience to put on your resume, as well as confirm to you that Social Work is what you want to do. A lot of people burn out in a few years, and it would be a shame to commit the time and money to an MSW and then change your mind later.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that I can speak to how to make your application stand out, but I wanted to share that my GPA was just barely over a 3.0, and I had no student leadership experience in college. (well, I had some, but it didn't make it on my resume).

I did have 4 years of social work experience, and that got me admitted with a respectable scholarship.

Personally, I recommend taking a few years and working in the field. It will give you good experience to put on your resume, as well as confirm to you that Social Work is what you want to do. A lot of people burn out in a few years, and it would be a shame to commit the time and money to an MSW and then change your mind later.

Thank you for responding... The reason why I am going directly to grad school, is funding; my grandmother who is helping pay my undergrad tuition plans on helping me with my MSW. I am very interested in helping people, and volunteering at the women's shelter has opened my eyes into the career. I also plan on volunteering at a homeless shelter Saturday nights, and I am trying to get two research opportunities relating to my women's studies major.

I really want to go to U Penn or NYU so I really need to do as much as possible to make my self qualified.

Although there may be a difference between Canadian (where I plan to apply) and American schools, I believe that gpa does matter. If you are over the gpa cut-off then that means that your application will be reviewed but you also have to consider the informal cut-off. I would do some research and see what the average gpa is of people admitted to your chosen program. For me, I need a B to have my application reviewed, BUT the vast majority of students admitted had at least a B+/A-. If you have a barely-above-cut-off average then you really need to have strong experience (paid or volunteer) and a killer written statement.

I would suggest that you take some courses to bring up your average if you think that it will hinder your chances. As well, you seem to be on the right track as far as building experience. Your statement will really help you stand out so make sure you have a lot of knowledgeable people read it and critique it.

I think the best way to set yourself apart is to not be afraid to discuss something personal that really defines who you are in your statement of purpose. Think about what makes you you and then connect it to social work