SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a ridiculous question, but I was wondering if anyone would know how to complete a particular section of the SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship application.

Under the "Research Expertise" section of the Doctoral Awards online application form it asks for keywords "separated by a semicolon, that best describe your areas of research expertise". No other details are provided. Does anyone have any idea what sort of keywords SSHRC has in mind? I worry that I won't be giving them what they want.

(As a side note, I'll be applying for a direct-entry doctoral program and I have only completed an undergraduate degree, with no thesis).

Thanks for the help in advance!

Look at some profs in your department whose reseach aligns with yours. See what they list and use that.

It's tough for people who don't know your specific area to comment on this. As an incoming doctoral student you should have some sense of what specific areas of philosophy you will be researching. What did you propose in your SOP/SOI?

Pick the core themes of what you intend to research/your research interests. For example I would put:

sex work; gender; sexuality; culture; policy.

And my research focuses on just that. I am a socio-cultural anthropology student and my research is looking at the impact of foreign 'aid' on sex work in the Philippines. I could also use words like "development" or "foreign aid."

It's like putting keywords that allow you to be searchable. Like when you search for a journal article or read a profs bio, you want to be able to get a broad sense of the persons focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

To "Required Information", I do have some sense of what I would like to research, but at the opening of the section SSHRC writes: "The information provided in this section refers to your own research expertise, not a research proposal." So what I'm worried about is representing my 'expertise'. In what sense could I say that I have such 'expertise'? If I were already a doctoral student, or if I had already completed a master's thesis, or done some (formal) research on the subject, I wouldn't be too worried. But for me, that's not really the case. Am I being ridiculous? Do you think I should just write down what I just take my expertise to be? Or do I have to have some formal mark on my record to point to demonstrate that I have the expertise that I'm claiming to have (such as a completed thesis, formal research already underway, etc.)?

I'm also not totally sure by what you mean when you suggest that I look at the faculty listing of my department to take a look at their research interests. Generally, philosophy faculty listings, at least, only mention general areas of research interest (such as "Philosophy of Law"). But these general areas correspond to the disciplines of the 'Disciplines' section immediately below the section I'm asking about. And I'm guessing (though I'm not sure) that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to simply repeat the disciplines of interest to me there? (or perhaps it would be, since the section I'm asking about asks for "areas of expertise" and the 'Disciplines' section asks for: "Indicate and rank up to 5 disciplines that best correspond to your research interests").

To NicoleMC: Do you think mentioning areas of expertise that correspond to disciplines for the keywords (expertise) section would be appropriate (such as, "Philosophy of Law")? I worry that anything more specific might be too abstruse (to the point where it would be entirely unrecognizable to those outside of philosophy).

Thanks again!

Mike D - you're over-thinking this one. Get over it, first.

Now, pretend you're an expert - what would your areas of expertise be? Write that down. "Philosophy of Law" for example, would work, as would something more specific. In my discipline, for example, I might list: new media histories, contemporary art and globalization, curating new media. Imagine a 3rd or 4th year course you might be teaching in 5 years time - what would it be called? That's your expertise.

Imagine you're writing keywords for an article abstract (for example, for the proposal you are submitting). What would those be?

It's not a trick question.

Hopefully this helps.

Be more confident in yourself! Writing proposals are tricky but you really need to own it and come across determined, confident, and capable. Writing areas of expertise are standard, imagine you were submitting an article for publishing: what would you put? Try doing an academic search at your uni's library and look at what key words are listed linked to articles/chapters/books that are interesting and relevant to your research. That should give you a good idea. You should include a couple specific words/areas (eg. sex work) and also some broader words(eg. gender; culture; policy). In your case perhaps the specific would be the area of Philosophy of Law that you are researching, and the broader could be Philosophy of Law, or Law; Philosophy; something else broad; etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we should.

I have started my application and am not looking forward to the major depression that will hit me following its submission. The last two times I took off class and course work to focus on the application, this time I have my doctoral exam due, FQRSC and a major international conference presentation all due right before SSHRC.

Fun! Anyone else not excited to apply this year? I better perk up my attitude if I want to stand a chance. I know, I know... but just let me whine for a minute. :wacko::blink:

Edited by raise cain

I'm currently on version 4 of my proposal draft and am going over it again with my MA supervisor on Monday. I'm kinda freaking out because I am in a one year MA program, started this Sept., so while I'm adjusting to grad school I'm also working on the SSHRC app and trying to figure out where I'm applying to PhD programs o.O (Background info.: BA, Pacific and Asian Studies from University of Victoria, successful in getting an MA SSHRC for my Anthropology MA at University of Toronto.)

Woot! Hi fellow applicants!

This will be my third time running the SSHRC/OGS gauntlet! I'm currently shopping a SSHRC draft in a university-specific proposal workshop; then, I've got appointments for departmental peer review and a one-on-one with the writing center. Plus, I'm anticipating that there will be edits after my letter writers get a hold of them! While the monies and esteem are nice to think about, at this stage, I'd just REALLY like to not have to do this next year!

Would anyone like to trade in OGS gossip? I've got no deadline from my SGS yet, but I heard an unsettling rumour that the new process will involve submitting the OGS app directly to the school at which you would like to hold the award. Not such a big deal for me, as I'm a year 1 PhD who knows where she'll be next year, but what about the MA students who aren't sure where they want to go and are several months away from being accepted anywhere?...

Hello all, I just joined this forum. Great place here! Hope to find solace and grad buddies in my journey from now on, starting with SSHRC and thereafter. Got MA in Comp Lit and applying to PhD in Communication and Cultural Studies.

This year was very rough and I just got chance to start working on my SSRC application. It is due November 7 as I am direct applicant. I am panicing on one hand waiting to hear from profs who will write letters. On other, my program draft is ready in form of school application: I still have to shorten and make in SSRC format/specifics.

Got questions and need venting. Am I in the right place in this thread? Please advise. If yes, questions: (1) I can't find my CV on the SSRC website!? I filled it 3 weeks ago. I can only find my profile, safe and sound as I filled it. (2) I don't have scholarly publications (but have creative ones) and this is freaking me out! Any advice how to deal with this fear in filling gaps in app? (3) Am too terribly late, or still I might be able to make it? In other words? Are there any others applying on Nov 7 directly and still not finished? By the way, I seem to work better under time stress! (praying it works this time)

Thanks in advance. Good luck to all.

Hello all, I just joined this forum. Great place here! Hope to find solace and grad buddies in my journey from now on, starting with SSHRC and thereafter. Got MA in Comp Lit and applying to PhD in Communication and Cultural Studies.

This year was very rough and I just got chance to start working on my SSRC application. It is due November 7 as I am direct applicant. I am panicing on one hand waiting to hear from profs who will write letters. On other, my program draft is ready in form of school application: I still have to shorten and make in SSRC format/specifics.

Got questions and need venting. Am I in the right place in this thread? Please advise. If yes, questions: (1) I can't find my CV on the SSRC website!? I filled it 3 weeks ago. I can only find my profile, safe and sound as I filled it. (2) I don't have scholarly publications (but have creative ones) and this is freaking me out! Any advice how to deal with this fear in filling gaps in app? (3) Am too terribly late, or still I might be able to make it? In other words? Are there any others applying on Nov 7 directly and still not finished? By the way, I seem to work better under time stress! (praying it works this time)

If it makes you feel better, I won a CGS when I had no publications. I know lots of people who won SSHRCs without scholarly publications. The committee understands that some fields--like English--value solo-authored pubs that take more prep and production time. Really, it would be rare for an MA student to have published something so impressive that it would sway a SSHRC score. I've heard these exact same things (no pubs is common, the pubs that do show up on apps are rarely super impressive) from a full professor who has served on the adjudication committee at the national level multiple times. So don't stress!

You're good to go. On a hallucinatory whim I shifted my entire SSHRC application and mine is due Oct 22 but I have a conference overseas so I must be done by the 17th.

It does need many drafts, but too many cooks in one kitchen isn't good either. People will have differing opinions telling you x and y and z and then your voice is lost. This is just a general observation, and something my supervisor also warned me about.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question! I am appliying for SSHRC master's degree bursary and they say that I should not have completed more than 12 months of scolarity. If I do not count the suspension time, I will have done more than 12 months. But I suspended my scolarity during the summer 2012 and I will do the same in the summer 2013. Am I still eligible to the bursary?

Thanks for the answer!

Marcio

Are you going into the 2nd year of your MA? Also do you mean the SSHRC MA scholarship? I didn't think SSHRC had a bursary. If you have completed 12+ months of MA/graduate level study then you are not eligible (but I'm not entirely sure what you mean but period of suspension, were these formally leaves of absence?)

Yes, I meant the SSHRC MA scolarship. By "periods of suspension" I meant that I paused my scolarity for a semester during the summer, it was a formal process with the departement. So I guess it does not count because officialy, I have not completed 12+ months of MA/graduate level study. What do you think? Thanks for your answer and sorry for my bad english, it is not my primary language!

If you have not officially completed 12 months of study, which, if you took a formal break it sounds like you might not have, then I think you would be eligible to apply. You might want to clarify this by emailing SSHRC or calling them if possible.

Edit: Also, if you are applying through a university than your uni should be able to answer that question for you as well.

Edited by nicolemc

Hey- if you are 'fully funded' in your program currently, do you put that down in the credentials section? If so, what do you call it? I have my department's standard funding package + a small scholarship. Should I list them separately?

Thanks

Hey- if you are 'fully funded' in your program currently, do you put that down in the credentials section? If so, what do you call it? I have my department's standard funding package + a small scholarship. Should I list them separately?

Thanks

I would list them separately especially if one is an entrance scholarship and another one is a multiyear funding package.

• 1 month later...

You're good to go. On a hallucinatory whim I shifted my entire SSHRC application and mine is due Oct 22 but I have a conference overseas so I must be done by the 17th.

It does need many drafts, but too many cooks in one kitchen isn't good either. People will have differing opinions telling you x and y and z and then your voice is lost. This is just a general observation, and something my supervisor also warned me about.

Raise Cain,

I am so sorry on late reply. I thought I will get notification if my post is allowed on the website. I did not and thought no one seen my post! Anyways, I see now I am full member. Great!

Thanks for your reply. After all, I made it. I finished on time and my profs were so helpful in the reference letters on time too. It is sent and I'm waiting.

I see your fields of study are closely related to my proposed area (communication, culture and fender/women). So cool. By the way last year I was accepted at York's PhD ComCult and accepted it but had to turn down for health reasons. This year I am now applying to all scgools that offer PhD in Communication or related field. Fingers crossed! It turned out there are few that have even minors or certificate in gender too!

I hope to see more of your posts here and I am heading to explore on this forum.

Good Luck...

MidEastGal

If it makes you feel better, I won a CGS when I had no publications. I know lots of people who won SSHRCs without scholarly publications. The committee understands that some fields--like English--value solo-authored pubs that take more prep and production time. Really, it would be rare for an MA student to have published something so impressive that it would sway a SSHRC score. I've heard these exact same things (no pubs is common, the pubs that do show up on apps are rarely super impressive) from a full professor who has served on the adjudication committee at the national level multiple times. So don't stress!

Mudlark,

Thanks a lot for your reply. As I mentioned earlier I did not think my post went through that's why I am late replying. Glad I checked now to find I am full member...

I really appreciate your comforting words. It is good to know pubs are overrated (on my part!). I was horrified when I was filling the application. I feel better now having heard from more than one person (and as you said a professor too!) that there isn't many MAs with groundbreaking pubs anyways.

I am waiting now for the results.

Fingers crossed too all and good luck!

Best,

MidEastGal

Hello guys,

Is there anyway to follow up on a submitted application? When do we start hearing from SSHRC? I am a direct applicant to SSHRC doctoral awards. First-timer too.

Waiting truly sucks :wacko: !

Best,

MideastGal