SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

Hi there everyone,

Can someone who has received the written confirmation of CGS SSHRC let me know the timeline for responding. I received notification from my graduate unit that I got it, but my mail is most certainly lost in transit.  Thanks kindly!

I'm also in Toronto, and I received my letter on May 1. 

I'm also in Toronto, and I received my letter on May 1. 

Hi there everyone,

Can someone who has received the written confirmation of CGS SSHRC let me know the timeline for responding. I received notification from my graduate unit that I got it, but my mail is most certainly lost in transit.  Thanks kindly!

I didn't get CGS, but the regulations are online: 4 weeks: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/using-utiliser/guide-A/regulations-reglements-eng.aspx#a3

I've still heard nothing in England. Further evidence that Canada post is ridiculous. 

Not evidence of Canada Post anything. Could also be Royal Mail.    Int'l post takes a while, full stop. Last year I received a letter here in Canada  from the UK that was accidently routed to Vietnam.

What category are you in? I'm also waitlisted at 16.9, anthropology/social sciences and am trying to get an idea of where the waitlist for my category starts and ends.

Committee 3, much like you :) My proposal would fit in a number of the social sciences, so it's hard to say where I'd find myself. I'm sure there's a heap of 16.9s or 15.6s...

Hi all,

I heard this week that I was awarded a CGS for the first three years of my four year PhD program which starts in September.  My score was 24.9/30.

I am going back to grad school after a 10-year professional career in my field.  

Here is some info on my application:

• 4.0 GPA
  • 2 peer-reviewed papers.  One was my undergraduate thesis which was published in a small university journal ages ago.  The other was a sole-author publication that is in press.
  • Some other trade publications
  • A couple of conferences (nothing significant)
  • Other scholarships (but this was several years ago due to the gap in my academic career)
  • TA experience, but little RA experience
  • Several years of teaching experience.  I'm currently teaching a large undergrad course with over 100 students.  
  • I assume my letters of recommendation were strong.  
  • Professional experience related to my field and my research proposal.  I should note that I'm not a social scientist per se, but a humanities scholar.  Maybe this will be encouraging?

I also applied last year with almost the same application and was wait-listed.  My score increased by about 8 points this time around.  What made the difference?

• My second peer-reviewed paper was accepted and in press
  • I was teaching the big undergrad class.  Maybe some credibility points?
  • My referees might have stepped up the tone of their letters.  I don't know.
  • I was formally accepted into my program and had deferred my start date.  

Everything else was pretty much exactly the same as the previous year, so I do believe that there is an element of luck involved in these things.

I hope this information helps someone!

Edited by pendler

Received a one year SSHRC. Very pleased. Applied at least three times for this thing, pleased it finally worked out. Courage to those who were rejected -- keep on plugging away! 

A question for those who have been successful:

To accept our award we e-mail SSHRC to tell them as such, but are we going to receive any confirmation on this before the deadline for acceptance has passed? It seems weird to just send an e-mail out into the world and assume things are now kosher...

(See how one achieves success and the anxiety finds another way to manifest itself?)

To accept our award we e-mail SSHRC to tell them as such, but are we going to receive any confirmation on this before the deadline for acceptance has passed? It seems weird to just send an e-mail out into the world and assume things are now kosher...

(See how one achieves success and the anxiety finds another way to manifest itself?)

They send out email confirmation. Don't worry!

I requested that a confirmation note be sent my way. Easy peasy.

Well crap.

Close but no cigar, I guess. Direct application, my first try. Waitlisted at 17.8.  Seems like I was oh-so-close!

At time of application:

-MA SSHRC

-Couple other graduate awards, a few undergrad achievements

-87% Undergraduate GPA

-4.0 MA GPA

-0 Peer-reviewed publications

-1 "Other" publication (a co-authored public policy advocacy piece)

-2 Conferences

-1 RA

-Several years of work experience, including some management

-Good references, including from my superviser, who's a big name in the field

Assuming an award doesn't get bumped down the wait-list to lil ol' me this year, I'm hoping some extra awards and a stronger research project will put me over the top for round 2.

Edited by Matchbook

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

*CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS*

A Student Guide to Writing SSHRC Proposals

Editor: Caitlin Forsey, Sociology, University of British Columbia

Editorial Assistant: Lauren Menzie

The purpose of this project is to produce a guide that offers advice on how to write a successful SSHRC proposal. The content will include: 1) a review of the literature on successful grant writing techniques 2) a description of “best practices” used by prior applicants; 3) a wide selection of unedited proposals to be used as templates for future applicants; and 4) a list of common issues and mistakes from the perspective of those who evaluate SSHRC proposals. The project aims to support students in applying for graduate funding and to offer SSHRC award holders with an opportunity to publish their proposal at an important time in their career. 

Submission Themes

The book will be used as a resource guide for students who are applying for SSHRC funding. The goal is to include a wide variety of proposals that reflect each discipline currently funded by SSHRC:

Anthropology                                                                                     Interdisciplinary Studies/Women’s Studies

Archaeology                                                                                        Law

Archival Science                                                                                 Library and Information Science

Classics                                                                                                Linguistics

Communication and Media Studies                                               Literature and Modern Language

Criminology                                                                                       Philosophy

Demography                                                                                      Management/Business/Admin

Economics                                                                                           Medieval Studies

Education                                                                                            Political Science

Fine Arts                                                                                              Psychology

Folklore                                                                                                Religious Studies

Geography                                                                                          Social Work

History                                                                                                 Sociology

Industrial Relations                                                                            Urban and Regional Studies

Submission Guidelines

We are inviting voluntary submissions of unedited SSHRC proposals that were successful at the MA and PhD-level competitions. The deadline for submission is Friday January 24th, 2014. Submissions and questions regarding the book can be directed to Caitlin Forsey at c.forsey@alumni.ubc.ca