Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

Hi everyone!

I have responded to CU Boulder's offer early in March and would like to know if anyone got any package from them. I was told to wait but I didn't expect such a long time.

K

Hi everyone!

I have responded to CU Boulder's offer early in March and would like to know if anyone got any package from them. I was told to wait but I didn't expect such a long time.

K

I was told there should be information sent out after the deadline (April 15th).

Edited by Faraday

I was told there should be information sent out after the deadline (April 15th).

Thanks for the information. Some departments of Boulder have started to process their admissions and I thought I will get my paperwork soon....   

two questions

1. do you guys think my laziness in undergrad will come back to bite me in the ass? lol like will companies/future employers/post docs ask for your undergrad transcript?

2. how much do the us news rankings of chem grad schools (or for specific fields like orgo) matter? do you think they're in any way valid or whatever?

1. do you guys think my laziness in undergrad will come back to bite me in the ass? lol like will companies/future employers/post docs ask for your undergrad transcript?

2. how much do the us news rankings of chem grad schools (or for specific fields like orgo) matter? do you think they're in any way valid or whatever?

#1 - I don't think anyone will ask for undergrad transcripts after grad school. Undergrad laziness is more likely to undermine you if you carry your bad habits into a PhD program...

#2 - US News Rankings are calculated almost solely on other academic's opinions of the grad programs (x number of professors in the field are sent a questionnaire and asked to rate programs based on the knowledge they have on them). They're valid as a form of perception...but not much further. The National Research Council does a program ranking that covers more variables (such as time to graduate, research output, grants per PI, etc).

There are only a a few on the list of UCLA Biochemistry faculty. Mentioned earlier, few look like they're about to go emeritus (aka not taking students).

I just found out the big names are only affiliates of the Biochemistry department. They're just there to boost the name of the department, when in actuality, there's literally zero Biochemistry graduate students in those labs, which the faculty actually belong to engineering, school of med, etc.

That was pretty tricky.

I'm so glad I found this out before making the decision. Thanks guys for the eye-opening discussion here! No more UCLA for me :P

Who else is going to Stanford? :D

Unless you were already awarded one, external fellowships might look at your undergrad transcripts.

I'll be going the opposite way!! from Idaho to University of Tennessee!!

I am confused between University of Tennessee and University of South Carolina. I would like to hear your inputs.

butterscotch - they're very fast. Mine came within a few days (somehow), and I live 3000 miles away. :) If you haven't received one of them yet, could be a postal issue, so contact the uni directly? 

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm going to apply for University of Boston,University of Michigan...i took GRE chemistry...hope will get good score...can you suggest which will be best of those two???? 

Hi I'm going to apply for University of Boston,University of Michigan...i took GRE chemistry...hope will get good score...can you suggest which will be best of those two???? 

If it is out of those two, I would say U Mich is better than BU.

I hope when you apply, you address them correctly as "Boston University".

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I need some help from you guys....

I'm a Chemistry graduate of 5years and not done anything related since then. However I need to do a MSc in environmental and write the GRE. I do not even know where to start. What good books do you guys recommend and where can I get them for downloads. You can send me links or e-mail me sucrelive@gmail.com.

Thanks

Calling on the international applicants!!!! Has any of you guys received the I-20 from the international admissions at your school? I accepted the offer from U of Utah and have not yet received my I-20 until now, despite it is June now and just 2 months away from the beginning of semester. I have been sending emails to the person in charge and she would just tell me to be patient, everything is in the process, and nothing else helpful.

Calling on the international applicants!!!! Has any of you guys received the I-20 from the international admissions at your school? 

My cohort got them the second week of May. Have you tried calling them? 

I got mine a while ago. You should let them know you may not be able to get a visa if you don't get it soon... they appear to be unaware, else heck knows why they wouldn't have got it out to you. Call the international office rather than the department? 

Yeah, you should definitely remain in touch with the graduate office at the university and/or the international office, if you haven't received your I-20 yet! Sometimes, it does take a while for the I-20 to come along...it took more than 4 months for a friend of mine to receive his I-20 (he accepted his offer from Virginia Tech, in January and received his I-20 at the end of May!). The visa process in it's entirety, can take upward of a month to complete...so you should definitely try and get it done on time. Also, just get in touch with other international students who are joining the same program as yours, if you can and find out whether they are facing the same issue! 

I was pretty fortunate myself and got my I-20 within a couple of weeks of accepting my offer at UCLA! I've even got my visa and would be going there for the summer sessions, starting this July! 

Yeah, you should definitely remain in touch with the graduate office at the university and/or the international office, if you haven't received your I-20 yet! Sometimes, it does take a while for the I-20 to come along...it took more than 4 months for a friend of mine to receive his I-20 (he accepted his offer from Virginia Tech, in January and received his I-20 at the end of May!). The visa process in it's entirety, can take upward of a month to complete...so you should definitely try and get it done on time. Also, just get in touch with other international students who are joining the same program as yours, if you can and find out whether they are facing the same issue! 

I was pretty fortunate myself and got my I-20 within a couple of weeks of accepting my offer at UCLA! I've even got my visa and would be going there for the summer sessions, starting this July! 

I accepted my offer in March so I guess mine is taking almost 4 freaking months too. I have been through the VISA process for my undergraduate career, just had to make an appointment with the embassy and went for the interview, got it in the next morning. Hopefully everything goes right for me again this time.

I got mine a while ago. You should let them know you may not be able to get a visa if you don't get it soon... they appear to be unaware, else heck knows why they wouldn't have got it out to you. Call the international office rather than the department? 

I have been communicating with the person in charge from the international office, not my department. In fact, the people at my department are more helpful, unlike the international office.

My cohort got them the second week of May. Have you tried calling them? 

Thanks guys for the replies and suggestions. I have not yet called them but a reply from the person in charge came to me 2 days ago, saying that it has been completed and sent out to me. How long does that usually take to reach us? I know this somehow depends on the destination so there is almost no point asking.

Also, if anyone here is attending the UNIVERSITY OF UTAH, send me message if you would like to have a chat about anything, who is attending the same program :)

Edited by zs3889

• 7 months later...

Guys this week is still early in on the acceptance/rejection season. I was looking through the Fall 2013 forum for chem phd, ALOT of people were accepted throughout february into early march.  So don't anticipate decisions to come out this week.