NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

Oh no, not this again ;)

I am trying to get a couple papers out so they can possibly be accepted and added to my NSERC application right now. Aside for that, I'll have a similiar application but with a couple extra conferencer talks.

I was pretty bummed out about making the first cut and ultimately being rejected. I was surprised at my low standing to be honest, I may put more effort into the OGS than NSERC this year.

• 2 weeks later...

guys I have a question. I started my PhD in Fall 2010, just became a Canadian permanent Residence (eligible, albeit a little late lol). On the NSERC website I see the following. Does this mean that I can still apply? It will be 28 months of my Doctoral studies by December 31. Also, is it worth it? Do they actually awart 2 year scholarships?

You will be eligible for only a two-year CGS/PGS D, if:

• you previously held a two-year PGS A or IPS 1*;
  • you previously held a one-year CGS M or PGS M plus a PGS M Extension; or
  • you have completed more than the full-time equivalent of 12 months of your doctoral program (24 months if you were admitted to the doctoral program directly from your bachelor’s program) as of December 31 of the year that you apply for the CGS/PGS D.

If I was you, I would apply. From what you posted it looks like you are eligible for 2 years of funding. If you are still deciding, then decide FAST! Deadlines are coming up. Here at McGill the Math Dept. internal deadline is on Monday :P.

Good luck to all.

guys I have a question. I started my PhD in Fall 2010, just became a Canadian permanent Residence (eligible, albeit a little late lol). On the NSERC website I see the following. Does this mean that I can still apply? It will be 28 months of my Doctoral studies by December 31. Also, is it worth it? Do they actually awart 2 year scholarships?

• you have completed more than the full-time equivalent of 12 months of your doctoral program (24 months if you were admitted to the doctoral program directly from your bachelor’s program) as of December 31 of the year that you apply for the CGS/PGS D.

You are elligible only if you have done a direct transition from bachelor to PhD. If you have done a Master, you are not elligible.

FROM NSERC :

To be eligible to apply:

• you must have completed, as of December 31 of the year of application, between
zero and 24 months of studies (full-time equivalent) in the doctoral program for which you are requesting funding; or
if you were admitted into a doctoral program directly from your bachelor’s program (you were never registered in a master’s program), you must have completed, as of December 31 of the year of application, between four and 36 months of studies (full-time equivalent) in the doctoral program for which you are requesting funding;

Any advice on formating form 200 (Contributions/Statements)?

I have jammed in 5 publications and a dozen presentations along with my statements in the 2 pages, but it is basically a big block of text without any spaces between lines. If I add a couple words it goes past the 2 page limit!

I don't want to leave anything out, but am wondering if there could be issues with the "wall of text"?

Any advice on formating form 200 (Contributions/Statements)?

I have jammed in 5 publications and a dozen presentations along with my statements in the 2 pages, but it is basically a big block of text without any spaces between lines. If I add a couple words it goes past the 2 page limit!

I don't want to leave anything out, but am wondering if there could be issues with the "wall of text"?

Hi Snowshoes,

I I was you, i dont put 12 presentation. too much. For example, if between your 5 publications, you have conference papers and you have presented in this conference, put the paper and the presentation in the same "block": See the example below:

[1] Snowshoes, X et al., "Title", ..... XX pages article published in the proceedings of an international conference accompanied by an oral presentation.

I suggest also to choose the most important presentation between the 12, Do not put them all !

Edited by eliasg

Okay one LAST question!

For the S&F page I found advice saying the number of months in grad school is often calculate incorrectly:

Confused? Use the number of terms you have been in graduate school,

including the current term if you are registered and multiple by 4. The

number entered here should always be dividable by 4!!!

So if I started my PhD in September 2012, do I say 0 months or 4 months? I don't get it!

Thanks eliasg.

Another question - how to properly cite in press articles? I can't find a good answer regarding NSERC's preferred format.

XXXXX, X and YYYYY, Y. Title. Journal Title (in italic). Paper accepted on (give date). XX pages. In press. DOI: (give doi)

Okay one LAST question!

For the S&F page I found advice saying the number of months in grad school is often calculate incorrectly:

Confused? Use the number of terms you have been in graduate school,

including the current term if you are registered and multiple by 4. The

number entered here should always be dividable by 4!!!

So if I started my PhD in September 2012, do I say 0 months or 4 months? I don't get it!

You have to put 4 for your doctoral studies.

For your graduate studies, you have to put : 4 + number of months in Masters.

You have to put 4 for your doctoral studies.

For your graduate studies, you have to put : 4 + number of months in Masters.

Damn, I did that one wrong. I put 4 months for both, that sucks.

Hope that doesn't sway them to reject my application!

Thanks for the information, wish I read that before I submitted it.

Edited by snowshoes

Damn, I did that one wrong. I put 4 months for both, that sucks.

Hope that doesn't sway them to reject my application!

Thanks for the information, wish I read that before I submitted it.

Send an e-mail to your university. It's not a big problem. This will not reject your application. But you have to change it before your university submit your application to NSERC (if it is chosen).

Edited by eliasg

I am currently applhying for NSERC. My domain is in psychology. Psychology falls under SSHRC and NSERC. I kind of understand the differences in both agencies...but i am unsure how to proceed to write the section on "justification for eligibility of proposed research" ...

Any help is appreciated

Edited by chronicx

I am as unsure as you about what to write for "Justification...", but I added important points about why my proposed research would be fit for natural sciences & engineering - something along that line...

I am currently applhying for NSERC. My domain is in psychology. Psychology falls under SSHRC and NSERC. I kind of understand the differences in both agencies...but i am unsure how to proceed to write the section on "justification for eligibility of proposed research" ...

Any help is appreciated

I experienced the same. Even when the deadline was extended to 16th - I had everything ready EXCEPT for the transcript which wouldn't upload. Then I emailed the web admins. And they asked me to try again. I was done submitting 4 minutes before the deadline. Very stressful!

Ah great. NSERC server overload on deadline day. I don't know if I will be able to submit my application.

I've heard that there is a process for a current CGS - M or PGS - M holder to apply for an extension of their support for an additional year. I've searched around on the site but couldn't seem to find any useful information. Does anybody know anything about this?