EPA Star Fellowship 2013

Alaudid

How long will it take for you to get paid?

It sounded like it might be a few weeks after they get all the paperwork. I was not given an exact time for this, but they know it is due. If it looks like they are going to go past Sep 15th (which is the cutoff to pay fees at my school), I will pay a fifth of my fees to maintain registered student status and get reimbursed later.

It sounded like it might be a few weeks after they get all the paperwork. I was not given an exact time for this, but they know it is due. If it looks like they are going to go past Sep 15th (which is the cutoff to pay fees at my school), I will pay a fifth of my fees to maintain registered student status and get reimbursed later.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else still waiting on this?

I got my package emailed on 8/29.   

Has anyone from one of the earlier batches gotten a stipend check yet?  I'm wondering if I'll get paid this month-- as in, receive a delayed check from September 1, or if we actually don't start getting paid until October?  I had originally asked my fellowship start on August 1, which the May paperwork indicated was the earliest start date we could request, but the package said my award would start on 9/1.

I got my package emailed on 8/29.   

Has anyone from one of the earlier batches gotten a stipend check yet?  I'm wondering if I'll get paid this month-- as in, receive a delayed check from September 1, or if we actually don't start getting paid until October?  I had originally asked my fellowship start on August 1, which the May paperwork indicated was the earliest start date we could request, but the package said my award would start on 9/1.

Yes. Payment via direct deposit was the first part of this process that (for me) actually arrived slightly early. I got paid on 8/27 for a 9/1 start date but I received my application package stuff in mid-July. You're in the home stretch!

Money received for August and September as well as tuition and the $5000 expense account.  Luckily, my professor has a secretary who takes care of all this for us.  She's also done one in the past, so she knew what she was doing.  

Does anyone know if there's going to be a conference this year or in 2015?

• 3 months later...

The first time (and the last time) I applied for EPA STAR was in November 2012 for the 2013 award consideration. I wasn't successful (I received the panel's feedback and rejection letter as a postal mail in early 2013), but it's crazy how some of those applicants were receiving notice that they were awarded as late as early 2014!! 

Since then, I've been checking the website frequently to see if EPA has any new award announcements since Fall 2012, but nope, that's their most recent award according to their official website... does anyone know what is exactly going on with them? Have they canceled this award for the time being? It seems like EPA has been hit quite hard with that government shutdown in late 2013... 

• 2 months later...

I am ineligible due to: "Applicants who currently have another federal fellowship are not eligible."

Does anyone have experience applying to a federal fellowship (EPA STAR, NSF GRFP, etc.) when they know they are ineligible? In other words, is it worth applying and upon the slim chance of being awarded... declining due to ineligibility. Or am I talking crazy talk? 

Thanks