Reapplying/ Transfer -PhD progs Pol Sci

Guest nooccamsrazor

Guest nooccamsrazor

VERY interested to get feedback... ANYTHING!!! :)

Applied to programs in political science at top schools.

Got into one solid program (top 10), but not where I'd truly like to be. Rejected at 8 schools.

GRE scores: V760, Q740, Essay 6.0. Ivy Leage undergrad. 7 yrs work experience in related field. Some pubs.

Now weighing the pros and cons of reapplying. For my specific subfield/career interests, university prestige counts for a GREAT deal--enough to suggest the importance of trying again.

What I think might be different for a second go:

It's possible to take the quantitative coursework (methods, stats, research design) that may have been the missing link in my application. KSG application info stated something like "the successful candidate will have coursework in microeconomics, statistics, calc..." (incidentally, I did not apply to KSG for this reason)

If I BEGIN my PhD program where I've been accepted, and REAPPLY in Dec 2006, it would be with **only one** semester of grades in these quant-type courses.

**How much can this possibly matter?

If I RE-APPLY in Dec 2007, I'll have finished a full 1.5 yrs of coursework, which would address these 'quant' deficiencies. WILL I LOOK CRAZY to reapply at that point? Would the transaction even occur through the regular PhD application process? Any thoughts or "wish I had done X" comments? Anyone ever hear of a transfer student at this stage?

ANY IDEAS AT ALL would be SO INCREDIBLY appreciated...

Thank you!!! :)

Guest Guest

I don't know anything about your field but have you contacted the schools that rejected you to ask what you could do to strengthen your application? I know it's awkward but I've done it and the responses have been great and extremely helpful.

I'm only a first time applicant with no experience with the US education system so far, but to me, starting your phd at this school and then reapplying and moving to another school looks like a REALLY BAD idea. I mean, first it'll be a waste of time, but more importantly you'll risk making some very unwanted enemies at the first school. and you definitely don't want that. plus, you might look not very serious in your reapplication. and it's a top ten school you've admitted to, what do you mean prestige counts? so if you want to go to a different school, do as the Guest recommended, ask the school that rejected you how to strengthen your application, do whatever they tell you to and repply next year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest transferee

I am transferring next year. It's not unheard of, but it is a risk. I wasn't trying to get into a top 10 school, and I am attending a school that is not a top program. Some schools were not keen on the fact that I had work experience (somewhat related experience), even some who accepted me. They took mostly people straight out of undergrad or MA program. Plus, most top schools do not take many transfer hours, if at all, so you might be starting over with your coursework (4 years of classes?!). I think if you got into a top 10 school that you liked enough to apply to in the first place, maybe you should consider going? What schools are are they? Is there a major difference---like quant versus qualitative? Or is it more that the faculty aren't a match?

Guest Diane

hi, I have similar questions, but not as complicated tho. I was accepted into a two year M.A. program, however, not extremely happy since my main object is the PhD, and I've been dinged at all the PhD programs I applied to.

I've decided on going since the M.A. program will probably help me in credentials, I'll have upper level training in quant, etc. But the problem is that this M.A. program is on the expensive side, and there's NO CHANCE AT ALL funding-wise. I'll have to take out some loan to put myself through the first year. Consequently, I really don't want to stay there for two whole years.

So my questions: is reapplying again around Dec. for the fall 2007 class a bad idea? Someone mentioned making enemies at the school you're transfering out of makes me apprehensive. Is this mostly a PhD thing, can they understand the fact that M.A. in polisci has no real use, it's just a stepping stone along the way?

This is vastly frustrating, so any advice is extremely welcome.

Hey Diane,

I think the schools will definitely understand about an MA. Have you considered just taking upper-level undergrad and graduate courses somewhere without being a full-time student? That way you could work to help offset some of the debt while still improving your credentials and then you could apply again. The problem with applying again in December is that all your transcript will list is the courses that you're currently enrolled in and the schools won't know how well you are doing in them. That's a risk. Plus, they might expect letters from graduate professors who you won't have much time to build a relationship with.