Where are you applying?

AaronM

What schools are you applying to?

Since applications are starting up soon it might be beneficial to know others who are applying to the same programs in case any questions arise.

I am applying to:

Stanford, Cornell, Wisconsin, Penn, Penn State, Texas, Ohio State, Indiana, Minnesota, UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Davis, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame.

Taking the GRE in about two weeks so it might change or I might pare it down but I feel pretty solid

Stanford, Wisconsin, NYU, Penn, Berkeley, UC Irvine, UCLA, UCSD, Rice, Yale, Texas, Minnesota, Notre Dame... and the Sociology/Social Policy dual programs at Harvard and Princeton.

I think mine is pretty set in stone at this point, but one or two may drop off if the faculty members I'm interested in aren't taking students. I must say I'm not surprised to see a lot of the same schools on our lists... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Still in the process of deciding! Thinking SUNY, Vanderbilt, BC, and MSU. I need to investigate a bit further for fit (as well as a program that is will to accept a stellar verbal score with a mediocre quant score).

Things have changed quite a bit for me

Wisconsin-Madison,Cornell, Stanford, NYU, UC-Irvine, Oregon, UC-San Diego, UC Santa Cruz, Michigan, Fordham, University of Oklahoma, UVic, Simon Fraser, Toronto, York, Teach for America

Edited by xdarthveganx

• 2 months later...

I'll do ranges since that's more comfortable for me.

GPA: 3.5-3.75

Verbal: 160-164

Quant: 149-153

AW: 5.0-6.0

Finalized list:

UT Austin

IU Bloomington

Brown

Brandeis

Vanderbilt

WSU

MSU

NCSU

BU

Oregon

Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, Chicago, Wisconsin, Madison, Northwestern, UCLA, UPenn, Stanford, Columbia, UNC, NYU, Yale, Duke, Brown, Cornell, Indiana, UT-Austin

BA GPA: ~3.9

MA GPA: ~3.8

770Q / 750V / 4.5AW :(

Why the frowning? Your numbers are pretty great all around. Also, what are your interests? You appear to just be applying to the top 20 on USNWR.

I was bored and should have been doing serious work (for some of these places - I have just guessed what people were talking about..)

Mich. State 2 UCLA 4 Oregon 4 Northwestern 4 UCSD 3 Madison 6 Princeton 4 Minnesota 4 Washington 2 Vanderbilt 3 Berkeley 4 Harvard 2 UC Irvine 5 Umass 2 Notre Dame 3 Upenn 3 Michigan 2 Stanford 5 UNC 3 NYU 4 Yale 3 Duke 3 Brown 4 Cornell 5 Indiana 5 Austin 6

Also did anyone apply to the policy analysis and management program at Cornell or just to the Sociology?

Funny how few of us applied to Michigan - wonder if it has anything to do with the snailmail preference..

Edited by cherub

Why the frowning? Your numbers are pretty great all around. Also, what are your interests? You appear to just be applying to the top 20 on USNWR.

4.5/6 is not very good. And what's even more frustrating is that I took the GRE back in 2006 and received a 5.5.

My chief interests concern the organizational and network behavior of NGOs and empirical evaluation of service-learning programs, but I'm also exploring interests in aging and the lifecycle, modernization and post-materialism, biotechnology and the history of eugenics, and survey methodology.

All of the schools to which I'm applying provide opportunities to pursue some or all of these interests (some more than others, obviously).

Uhm. The Policy Analysis and Management Program at Cornell requires the first year of graduate microeconomics, econometrics, and math for economics. Sociology students go to PAM?

This is what sociological demography/family sociology is all about. I, for one, applied to PAM since it gives one all the perks of Sociology, i.e. access to professors and courses, but with a much more applied and transdisciplinary focus. You give me a chance to be trained in econometrics, statistics and family sociology and I am more than happy.

4.5/6 is not very good. And what's even more frustrating is that I took the GRE back in 2006 and received a 5.5.

My chief interests concern the organizational and network behavior of NGOs and empirical evaluation of service-learning programs, but I'm also exploring interests in aging and the lifecycle, modernization and post-materialism, biotechnology and the history of eugenics, and survey methodology.

All of the schools to which I'm applying provide opportunities to pursue some or all of these interests (some more than others, obviously).

From what I've read, a lot of adcomms don't really even consider AW, and even if they did, 4.5 isn't going to be low enough that you get sorted into the wrong pile. I'd be willing to bet that if you don't get into a program it won't be because of your AW score.

And to clarify, I hope it didn't sound like I was challenging you about your choice of schools or anything. I honestly don't know too much about many of those programs other than it's almost an exact list of the top 20.

Stanford, Wisconsin, NYU, Penn, Berkeley, UC Irvine, UCLA, UCSD, Rice, Yale, Texas, Minnesota, Notre Dame... and the Sociology/Social Policy dual programs at Harvard and Princeton.

I think mine is pretty set in stone at this point, but one or two may drop off if the faculty members I'm interested in aren't taking students. I must say I'm not surprised to see a lot of the same schools on our lists... :)

Minnesota has now been dropped and Hopkins added. Prof I was interested in at Minnesota moved schools. Good thing I checked! Also, I guess since others are throwing stats up, I'll join in: 165V / 165Q / 5.0AW. ~3.5 UGPA + J.D.

This is what sociological demography/family sociology is all about. I, for one, applied to PAM since it gives one all the perks of Sociology, i.e. access to professors and courses, but with a much more applied and transdisciplinary focus. You give me a chance to be trained in econometrics, statistics and family sociology and I am more than happy.

You should post some titles of demographers and family sociologists you like. There is an opinion in economics that this sort of thing (in poly sci too) is "econowannabe." But I haven't read enough to know. Nancy Folbre's work is very good. And of course some of the basic out line of it makes quite a bit of sense -- technology makes income go up, makes time more valuable, raising the opportunity cost to having children, and increasing their marginal productivity in a "family production function" -- hence population growth nearing zero. But outside that I don't see how economics has a lot to say about the family, which a social psychology that respects a wider diversity of behavioral heuristics than utility maximization probably does.

If you get into PAM -- spend the summer working with Chiang and other mathematical economics and econometrics texts. Their PhD economics program is T20 - and not a joke. Those are your 1st year courses. My friend, with an economics undergrad and mathematics minor went to PAM this year and has been at the bottom of her class the entire time. The math is extraordinarily difficult.

You should post some titles of demographers and family sociologists you like. There is an opinion in economics that this sort of thing (in poly sci too) is "econowannabe." But I haven't read enough to know. Nancy Folbre's work is very good. And of course some of the basic out line of it makes quite a bit of sense -- technology makes income go up, makes time more valuable, raising the opportunity cost to having children, and increasing their marginal productivity in a "family production function" -- hence population growth nearing zero. But outside that I don't see how economics has a lot to say about the family, which a social psychology that respects a wider diversity of behavioral heuristics than utility maximization probably does.

There's always small battles between demographers and econs so you should ignore those rumours about econwannabe. I think you should probably add some understanding of the work-life(family) balance to the mix and that family sociology is very interested in most things related to family, not just fertility. In the econ world then I think that that Alicia Adsera, at WWS/POP, is doing the best work currently - I like contextuality and she masters it. You could also just go to demographic-research.org (hosted by mpidr) and see what it is new - the best of the best publish there.

I'll refrain from highjacking this tread ..

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm a little late to this party, but what the heck.

UC Santa Barbara

Chicago

UNC - Chapel Hill

Princeton

Rutgers

Yale

UAlbany SUNY

Interests: Culture and politics, urban sociology

General GRE picture:

Verbal: very happy

Quant: Not so happy

Writing: Disappointed but not too bad

No one pays attention to the writing score...you don't say "I got a 1324.5". You'll be fine.