BME MS/PhD Fall '13

rjd150

I will add information now and update later.

Undergrad: BioC with honors thesis in biophysics 3.8, classics, management
GRE: 1470 5.5A

Applying to Ph.D. programs in BME with a Neuroengineering focus at:
JHU, Mayo, UMich, MIT, GIT/Emory, Duke, Brown, NU, Utah, UMN

Accepted:  GIT/Emory, Utah

Rejected: MIT

Interview: Mayo, UMi, Duke

Waiting: JHU, UMN, Brown, NU (although acceptances are out for them it seems)

Applied for an NSF 2 year, nothing about NIH yet

For those stressing like me, I called UW (Seattle) and got some updates. The AC is still reviewing applications and said they plan on releasing more decisions in March, with recruitment activities planned for March 22-23. There is still hope!

Haha I wish I was in a position to be able to answer your question. What are your stats btw? I am assuming you got a Columbia interview and want to know what kind of stats they are looking for.

Yeah I just got the interview invite yesterday morning, but this is my first one anyway so I have no idea how it is gonna be like.. It seems like 

Stats:

B.S. in BME (expected - 2013)

Large private research university

GPA: 3.9

GRE: 168 (Q), 168 (V), and 4 (A)

~3 years of various research experiences

1 publication

1 abstract + presentation for a national conference

Just got an invite to interview at UW!! Been waiting so long on this one :D

This has been a very successful admissions cycle for me, I'm completely shocked by how much good news I've received. Best of luck to those still waiting. 

Hi budgie,

I still haven't heard back from UCSD. Do you know when the interview date(s) are for UCSD?

There's two weekends, one next week (Feb 15th) and another the week after that (Feb 22nd). Hopefully you'll hear back soon!

Hey guys, anyone heard anything from Cornell BME? I called them earlier today and they said that they will announce the decision somewhat later this year, maybe in a few weeks through email. But I wonder if Cornell is just sending out invites in waves or something?

Hey guys, anyone heard anything from Cornell BME? I called them earlier today and they said that they will announce the decision somewhat later this year, maybe in a few weeks through email. But I wonder if Cornell is just sending out invites in waves or something?

I received notification of acceptance on January 27th, but I seem to be the only one in the forum who has heard anything from Cornell. My guess is that they're doing rolling admissions. Their recruitment weekend is March 7th, so there's still plenty of time to hear back before then. Best luck to you.

@budgie thanks for the info - just curious, but do you happen to receive the email from Belinda or your POIs? Also - would you mind telling me what your stat is?

@budgie thanks for the info - just curious, but do you happen to receive the email from Belinda or your POIs? Also - would you mind telling me what your stat is?

The email was from Belinda and I also received a packet of information in the post. My stats aren't anything too special; I did particularly mediocre on the GRE, I think it was my LORs and SOP that helped me stand out in this process. Stats: transfer student, GPA-3.90, GRE-V158/Q159/A4.5, ~6mo significant research experience, no papers (yet).

Does anyone know if all the acceptances are sent out from UT Austin BME? I emailed a Prof. on 24th last month who replied it was early in the game, but promised me to ask his contacts in the department. We haven't communicated since then, however. I believe Austin's BME manages sending acceptances within 1st week of Feb with little exception. I am really worried!