MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

Hi everyone!

Thank you @mazylexsymi for getting this thread started! I had wanted to do one for a while and somehow couldn't figure out how to create a Forum :S

I'm going to be applying this year for Fall 2013 admission to a couple of places. I will be applying to University of Toronto's MPH Health Promotion with a Global Health focus. I also will apply to SFU for again, MPH Health Promotion with a Global Health focus, and also perhaps University of Alberta.

As well, some of you may be interested (if you are wanting to do a Global Health concentration): There is a fairly new program at McMaster. It's a 1-year MSc Global Health and looks really interesting! I think I will be applying there as well, as a backup if I don't get into U of T (my top choice).

@mazylexsymi: I don't actually know a whole lot about Memorial University or it's MPH program, sorry! I wasn't even aware that they had a program ! That's really interesting I am going to take a look..

Oh and my specs: I graduated with an overall 10.75/12 GPA in Global Studies (International Development). I have a lot of international experience but nothing public health or global-health related (I did a 1-month volunteer trip to Morocco, a 1-semester university exchange in Australia, I worked for 1 year as an English Teaching Assistant in France). I have 4 summers worth of experience working in a Chiropody clinic, so was exposed to a lot of public health issues but not really the kind of experience they are looking for I think...

I know that they really stress relevant experience for MPH programs, so I was looking for a long time and I finally just got a job I had applied for, working as a Diabetes Prevention Worker in a remote northern Aboriginal community. So I will be doing that for this next year and I am hoping it will amp up my application !

Where is everyone else applying? What kinds of experiences do people have / What are your specs?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and thanks for starting this thread! I am looking at applying to some Canadian MPH programs as well, but am coming into it a bit blind since I don't know much (if anything) about the Canadian education system. I currently work in a non-health field but want to make the switch into Health Promotion with a concentration in Global Health as well.

My specs: I am American but did my undergrad (in English and Spanish) in the UK - graduated with a high 2:1. I spent 7 months doing an exchange in Uruguay and did some volunteering at a human rights NGO whilst I was there. I have also lived abroad in Argentina and traveled a lot in central/south America and Spain. I am currently volunteering in an HIV/AIDS clinic and tutor Spanish part-time.

I am also planning to apply to University of Toronto for Health Promotion with Global Health. Does anyone know anything more about places like McGill, McMaster, UBC or others that offer good MPH programs? And how difficult these places are to get into. Like I said, really in the dark about these. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I'm also looking into applying for MPH programs for next year.I have a good GPA, with a BSc. Honours degree, and I have been waiting for a few years now for MSc. in Occupational Health or Hygiene to be offered via distance... but it seems to be a long wait (McGill is no longer offering theres by distance), so I'm going to broaden my field and look into MPH programs. McGill's Occupational Health program seems to have a large portion of the program made of MPH courses anyway.

Seeing as I have worked in the health field for many years already and have a mortgage, family,etc., I'd like to get my MPH via distance. I'm okay with spending a few weeks here and there on campus, but moving may not be an option at this point. I'm very interested in the U of A program with specialization in Environmental and Occupational Health, but its not offered by distance, only their health promotation program is, which isn't exactly ideal.

Right now, I'm looking at Lakehead and U of S. I know a little about the U of S program, and know that even though its distance, there are still classes you take on campus and online lectures you have to watch in real time. Does anyone know anything about the Lakehead program?? Does it have courses on campus too?

Also, the credits for courses at Lakehead are very strange. Instead of the courses being 3.0 credit hours, they call them 0.5 FCE. I'm not sure what this means. Does anyone know?

I'm from Saskatchewan and we do not calculate credit hours that way, so I find it strange.

Hello and thanks for starting this thread! I am looking at applying to some Canadian MPH programs as well, but am coming into it a bit blind since I don't know much (if anything) about the Canadian education system. I currently work in a non-health field but want to make the switch into Health Promotion with a concentration in Global Health as well.

My specs: I am American but did my undergrad (in English and Spanish) in the UK - graduated with a high 2:1. I spent 7 months doing an exchange in Uruguay and did some volunteering at a human rights NGO whilst I was there. I have also lived abroad in Argentina and traveled a lot in central/south America and Spain. I am currently volunteering in an HIV/AIDS clinic and tutor Spanish part-time.

I am also planning to apply to University of Toronto for Health Promotion with Global Health. Does anyone know anything more about places like McGill, McMaster, UBC or others that offer good MPH programs? And how difficult these places are to get into. Like I said, really in the dark about these. Thanks!

Hey there ! Thanks for joining the thread. Since I'm Canadian I will try to answer some of your questions! Basically University of Toronto and UBC are the most competitive (not speaking from experience but everyone has told me this so I've come to believe it! haha). I'm sure McGill is quite competitive as well, but I'm not too familiar with their program as I'm only interested in the MPH programs that offer a Global Health focus (is that the case for you as well?).

In terms of McMaster, they have a lot of health-related Master's programs but not specifically a MPH program. Like I said earlier, they do have an MSc in Global Health if you're interested in the Global Health stream though!

If you are interested in the Global Health stream, you might want to check out Simon Fraser University (also in BC - and though competitive, I've heard a lot of people going there instead of UBC because some applicants often get quite a bit of scholarship money from SFU, as opposed to zero from places like UBC and U of T). University of Alberta also has an MPH Program with a Global Health focus!

Edited by Carolyn_958

Hey everyone,

I'm also looking into applying for MPH programs for next year.I have a good GPA, with a BSc. Honours degree, and I have been waiting for a few years now for MSc. in Occupational Health or Hygiene to be offered via distance... but it seems to be a long wait (McGill is no longer offering theres by distance), so I'm going to broaden my field and look into MPH programs. McGill's Occupational Health program seems to have a large portion of the program made of MPH courses anyway.

Seeing as I have worked in the health field for many years already and have a mortgage, family,etc., I'd like to get my MPH via distance. I'm okay with spending a few weeks here and there on campus, but moving may not be an option at this point. I'm very interested in the U of A program with specialization in Environmental and Occupational Health, but its not offered by distance, only their health promotation program is, which isn't exactly ideal.

Right now, I'm looking at Lakehead and U of S. I know a little about the U of S program, and know that even though its distance, there are still classes you take on campus and online lectures you have to watch in real time. Does anyone know anything about the Lakehead program?? Does it have courses on campus too?

Also, the credits for courses at Lakehead are very strange. Instead of the courses being 3.0 credit hours, they call them 0.5 FCE. I'm not sure what this means. Does anyone know?

I'm from Saskatchewan and we do not calculate credit hours that way, so I find it strange.

Hey!

Just to try and answer your question about 'FCEs'. From my experience doing an exchange, I believe that it's just a different way of caculating credit for a course. I'm not exactly sure if it's just a more universally-recognized system, or if it's just one that some universities use and some don't.. However I know U of T uses FCEs, as did the university in Australia I went to on exchange.. But then it does get confusing too because even with credits, some universities count one semester-long course as 0.5 credit, whereas other schools count a semester-long course as 3 credits! lol So I think it's the same sort of deal with FCEs.. a bit different everywhere :S

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else having a tough time deciding between streams? My first choice is definitely U of T, but I'm kind of stuck between whether I want to apply to Epi or Health Promotion. I feel Epi probably has better job prospects and gives you more concrete skills, but I'm wary that I may find it *too* stats-heavy. Anyone know how much flexibility you really have with it? The course listings make it seem like even in Epi you have a LOT of non-math electives aside from the core stats courses, yet I've heard otherwise from some people.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Just want to introduce myself to the thread! I'm applying to the U of T Health Promotion focus. I did my undergrad in Psychology and graduated with a final year GPA of 3.75. I worked in a healthcare environment (not exactly public health but health-realted) for 4 years throughout my undergrad and started working as a research assistant full-time immediately after graduating, which is in an applied public health research environment. I also spent a year doing research under a prof in my fourth year. I have 2 strong references (one employer, one professor) and I have some volunteer experience working in a health promotion-type initiative (promoting sexual health at the university) which I did for 2 years. Previously I started a charity dedicated to generating funds for an illness that is very close to my heart so I have some health promotion experience there because part of my work with the charity was doing some presenting to various schools in the area to promote my cause and raise awareness of the illness.

I'm a little nervous about applying since the program is so competitive. It's really bad but I haven't even thought about applying to anywhere else because I want U of T so bad. I know it's so bad to put all my eggs in one basket but I don't really see myself moving anywhere else since I have family obligations and need to stay close to them ... I know there's the online option at Waterloo but online is just not appealing to me. I really value the lecture environment and being able to build connections with profs, etc. If you guys have any suggestions about other public health programs in Ontario that are similar to the U of T program (health promotion, offer practicums, etc.) then please let me know!

I would love to stay in touch with everyone throughout this journey. Please share your stories! :)

Hey @ Billy19 - thanks for joining the thread and sharing your own story! It sounds like you have a lot of really great experience and I'm sure you're application to U of T will be very competitive !

I can definitely relate to you only applying to U of T - Originally I was going to apply to SFU and Uni of Alberta as back-ups, but realistically the only school I want to go to is U of T (really want to stay in Ontario and can't see myself going out West) - and I feel sketchy about putting all of my eggs in one basket too, but at the same time I also wouldn't mind saving the extra $100 per extra application ! :S

Has anyone started writing their Letter of Intent? I promised myself I would start it in August! .. And still haven't. I am procrastinating so much because I know it's the most important part of the application and I want it to be amazing hahah

Hey all - I'm in the MPH Health Promotion program at UofT in the global health focus (there is no global health stream here...the focus just means a core GH course, a GH elective, and one practicum oriented towards GH). Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any of your questions about the program, the DLSPH, the school, etc... Good luck :) !

Edited by dr.p

Hi Carolyn_958! We are in the exact same position!!! I've been thinking about my statement and trying to write it for MONTHS but because it's the most important part I keep procrastinating too!!! It's a pretty daunting task and it's hard to know what to include and what not to include. and yeah I don't want to waste money on applications at other universities when I know I'm not going to go. Just hoping for the best ...!

Hi Dr. P!! Thanks so much for writing in the thread! I've been really trying to get in touch with people in the MPH program at U of T but so far haven't found anyone in the health promotion stream so I'm so happy to hear from you! If you're comfortable, would you be willng to post your stats so we can see what kind of applicants are successful? Also, do you have any words of advice for what a good CV and good references look like?

Hi everyone!

Happy to have found this forum :) ... first came across last years and was wondering if there would be one this year...Thank God for small mercies

I recently stumbled across MPH courses in Canadian universities...First Alberta and then Sasketchewan... I had been (mis)informed by some (un)reliable source that I'll have to venture in US if I wanted a degree in MPH as an international student... duh!!

I just hope I'm not too late... I know I haven't even taken GRE yet... I kno U of S does not ask for it... are there other universities that accept application based on other stats (apart from GRE).... I might attempt preparing for it in a month and giving it go in Jan ...but that would leave with me little time for my personal statement... and I do not want to spoil what little chance I have by writting a shitty letter along with getting shitty scores that will no way benefit my application...

What do you suggest people?

@Dr. P Read your posts from last year.....oxford was your dream you said... any particular reasons for attending U of T... even though you got into both oxford and LSHTM?... and please share your stats...and as @billy said..word of advise for aspirants?

@carolyn... hi!.. read your post too in last years forum had been intending to PM you...but found this thread...:)...Thank you @mazylexsymi

Hey @guruginni,

Thanks for joining the thread! Someone correct me if I'm wrong but from what I have seen there are no MPH programs in Canada that require you to take the GRE (at least I know for sure not for UBC, U of T, SFU, U of Alberta, U Sask, Queens, U of Waterloo, McGill).

For all of them they basically outline the same stuff you need: high GPA (official transcripts but sometimes just a scanned copy of one), relevant experience (volunteer or professional), 2 or sometimes 3 references, an undergraduate statistics course completed, CV, Letter of Intent...

I hope that helps !

Edited by Carolyn_958

Thank you Carolyn!!

It certainly helps.... Though I'm sure U of Alberta website says GRE score is "recommended" for international applicants and absence of same will weaken your application :(

Though now I'm hopeful for the rest... :)

Oh sorry! That is a really good point - I didn't realize you were an international applicant. If that's the case, then there may very well be a GRE requirement for the other universities too. I'm really not sure as all the info I have is for Canadian applicants.

Hi everyone :)

I'm applying for MPH in SFU, BC and Ualberta in health promotion concentration..

Done with GRE..I've been working in field of Public Health Dentistry for over an year, worked as research assistant, volunteer work for blood banks and NGOs. I'm interested in health promotion. how competitive dse univs are??

Hey @ docgill! Thanks for joining the thread :) From what I've heard - All of the MPH programs in Canada are highly competitive - but the most competitive are University of Toronto and University of British Columbia (and I believe SFU is quite competitive too!)

Hi, I'm a third year at U of T and I am looking to get some feedback on the strength of my application for MPH programs. I haven't taken the GRE yet, so I don't have that information for you.

CGPA - 3.29

References: Professor of Public Health, Director of Research at a hospital and the last one will likely be a professor.

Public Health Experience:

Research Assistant - Large Specialized Hospital, Regional Hospital, HIV Prevention Lab, Waterloo School of Public Health, Department of Psychology, and Munk School of Global Affairs (with a published paper).

Management - Organized and coordinated a public health project aimed at treating diabetes patients.

Relevant work and extracurricular experience:

- Fundraising Supervisor for a large charity;

- Worked at a medical clinic for five years;

- Editor-in-chief of student newspaper;

- Executive on two student organizations and a local charity.

I am applying to...

- UBC MPH (Healthcare Services and Systems)

- UBC MHA

- U of T MPH (Policy or Promotion)

- Waterloo MPH (not sure)

- U of Alberta (Health Policy and Management)

- Dalhousie MHA (not sure about their MPH)

So, how are my chances? What kind of experience should I gain to strengthen my resume? What is a safe range for my GPA?

My preference would be to attend UBC - MHA or Alberta, but if anyone knows of other schools I should consider...please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on my LOIs for MPH programs, and I'm just wondering - has everyone been doing theirs single or double-spaced? For example, U of T says the LOI for Epi should be "no more than 2 pages". Is that 2 pages single-spaced, or double-spaced?

I have no base to make this assumption, but I assumed that the LOIs were to be single-spaced. Honestly not sure though but that's what I was gonna do! Maybe @dr.p could give us some tips?? Did you do your LOI single or double spaced?

Edited by Carolyn_958

I'm working on my LOIs for MPH programs, and I'm just wondering - has everyone been doing theirs single or double-spaced? For example, U of T says the LOI for Epi should be "no more than 2 pages". Is that 2 pages single-spaced, or double-spaced?

I did mine single spaced.

I'm currently a 1st year epi student at U of T. :)

I did mine single spaced.

I'm currently a 1st year epi student at U of T. :)

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice. If you don't mind commenting, how do you like the program so far? Do you find the class is a good mix, or are most people from a similar academic background?