MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

Congratulations also! That is very exciting news. Mine is still pending, saying no decision has been made...ugh. Was your status updated this afternoon?

Mine was updated on the 26th and so was my friend's that didn't get in. *fingers crossed* that you're on the wait list! Hope everything works out for you!

Yes please share your GPA with us for those who got the acceptance ???

Any sounds from U of Guelph??????

I have a 3.6 cGPA and 3.7 in last two years. work experience related to Alzheimer's disease (and related dementias) as well as years of delirium prevention hospital volunteer work.

accepted to MPH at Waterloo.

Again, all the best to those that haven't heard back yet! Good luck everyone!

Hey guys!

I have applied to U of S and U of Alberta. Recently, my admission decision status changed to "Dept Recommend" for U of S...do you know how long do I have to wait till I hear from College of Graduate Studies and Research?

Thanks!!

Hey guys!   I have applied to U of S and U of Alberta. Recently, my admission decision status changed to "Dept Recommend" for U of S...do you know how long do I have to wait till I hear from College of Graduate Studies and Research?   Thanks!!
It's different for everyone, so it all depends. I got my offer from them a week and a half after I was Dept Recommended. UofAlberta on the other hand, I'm still waiting on them. I only applied to both schools as well

Hey guys!

I have applied to U of S and U of Alberta. Recently, my admission decision status changed to "Dept Recommend" for U of S...do you know how long do I have to wait till I hear from College of Graduate Studies and Research?

Thanks!!

Congratulations half way there! I'm in the same situation waiting for the CGSR review. 

Edited by afzal_11

by chance has anyone heard from UWO regarding the MSc in Epi? 

Last year I heard back ~beginning of May. Not certain which round that was but tuition + stipend was offered (perhaps everyone receives full funding???).

Edited by Burkis

Those who accepted an offer to UT's Epid, can you tell us your GPA, EC, research? Thanks :)

Found out I got in recently (and with a scholarship! So excited!)

Here is a word of advice to Canadians applying from abroad: please check with them. They mailed the letters last week, but I didn't get mine. I live in Boston, so that could be it.

As for GPA, research, here is my humble list: 3.9 (did undergrad at Harvard), 5 papers (4 primary-author), co-authored a book on research, worked for a couple of NGO's, and spent two summers in Senegal and the MidEast.

Here is a word of advice to Canadians applying from abroad: please check with them. They mailed the letters last week, but I didn't get mine. I live in Boston, so that could be it.

As for GPA, research, here is my humble list: 3.9 (did undergrad at Harvard), 5 papers (4 primary-author), co-authored a book on research, worked for a couple of NGO's, and spent two summers in Senegal and the MidEast.

Wow that is impressive! Guess I will be meeting you in the fall then?

Those who accepted an offer to UT's Epid, can you tell us your GPA, EC, research? Thanks :)

Sure, I have a previous MA degree, about 3.85 ish. I did an extra year of undergrad with a current GPA of 3.94 but my undergrad cGPA is lower. I've worked for several environmental NGOs, am an editor for a few student journals, and have some co-authored reports. 

Congrats to all of those who have been accepted and best of luck to those still waiting!

I applied to UBC but received my rejection letter a few weeks ago. It was the only school I applied to, as I really liked the fact that it was a practicum based program. I found it difficult to find other schools that offered this. Has anyone found any other schools that offer a practicum based program?

Thanks! 

Edited by Nomadik

Congrats to all of those who have been accepted and best of luck to those still waiting!

I applied to UBC but received my rejection letter a few weeks ago. It was the only school I applied to, as I really liked the fact that it was a practicum based program. I found it difficult to find other schools that offered this. Has anyone found any other schools that offer a practicum based program?

Thanks!

UBC isn't the only school with a practicum based MPH. You should check properly. There are a handful, U of Alberta, U of Saskatchewan, U of Toronto, U of Western Ontario, etcetera. Besides, Simon fraser has both practicum and thesis options in the MPH (population health)

Edited by clevajay

Thanks! 

Almost all MPH programs are "practicum based!" MSc (Public Health) programs are the ones that tend to be  predominantly research based. However, a few programs, e.g. SFU have a thesis option in lieu of a project. Check out this site for a list of Canadian programs with/without a practicum; hope its up to date.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/php-psp/master_of_php-eng.php

Is there any international student whose status for UoSask has changed from "contact admission office" to "dept recommend" or something else??

Mine still says 'Complete ready for review'.

Almost all MPH programs are "practicum based!" MSc (Public Health) programs are the ones that tend to be predominantly research based. However, a few programs, e.g. SFU have a thesis option in lieu of a project. Check out this site for a list of Canadian programs with/without a practicum; hope its up to date.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/php-psp/master_of_php-eng.php

SFU's MpH program inculcates combination of a thesis/project and a practicum. This is what I find interesting. I'm not aware of any school of public health that does this. Other programs have practicum arrangements as well. Ubc MPH is general, without a concentration.

Yes please share your GPA with us for those who got the acceptance ???

Any sounds from U of Guelph??????

Hi! I don't think Guelph has made any decisions yet, as the confirmation of application email said "Those applicants receiving offers of admission should expect to be notified by mid to late April 2013". I only applied to Guelph so its nerve wracking waiting for them to decide. Good luck!

Sure, I have a previous MA degree, about 3.85 ish. I did an extra year of undergrad with a current GPA of 3.94 but my undergrad cGPA is lower. I've worked for several environmental NGOs, am an editor for a few student journals, and have some co-authored reports. 

You both sound like you have very interesting backgrounds! What did you two major in as undergrads?

SFU's MpH program inculcates combination of a thesis/project and a practicum. This is what I find interesting. I'm not aware of any school of public health that does this. Other programs have practicum arrangements as well. Ubc MPH is general, without a concentration.

True! SFU is my favourite program for this reason! I love the combination of a PRACTICE based MPH (rather than MSc) and the possibility to opt for a thesis at the same time. Only program I applied to, if they do not get me this time, I will have to try again next year!  :wub: I have not seen another program like it, either. I also love their concentrations- I am not the Health promo or Epi type. Plus its CEPH accredited, though I wouldn't be bothered if it wasn't! But boy, are they keeping us on edge, waiting anxiously to hear from them next week!!!

For those of u waiting to hear from uvic.. I emailed them and they said they will make decisions in the next two weeks

What? Next two weeks? I thought someone just heard from them. ok. Thanks for the information.