MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

For those of you who applied to McGill, I just got my rejection email today. Although it was not my first choice, I am a bit disappointed :(

Which program did you apply to? :( I was also refused, for MPH, but did not receive an email. I found out through the website.

Which program did you apply to? :( I was also refused, for MPH, but did not receive an email. I found out through the website.

Since both applications are processed independently, I applied to the MSc in Epidemiology and the MSc in Public Health. I got a rejection email for each program.

I just received this email from U of T (Health Promotion) .. Has anyone else received a similar email?  I remember seeing people on last year's Forum stating that they had received a similar email.. If any of you are following this, please let us know how it ended up for you!  Thank you!

Good Afternoon;

I want to apologize for the delay in getting the results of our assessments communicated to you before this.

After reviewing more than 300 applications, the Admissions Committee in the Division of Social and Behavioural Sciences has placed you on a “long wait-list” of applicants for the Master of Public Health Program (Specialization in Health Promotion) at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto.   There are at least 15 people who are ranked ahead of you on this wait-list of applicants to the MPH health promotion program.

By May 31, we will have heard from those to whom we have made firm offers of a place in our Program. At the present time, we do not know whether we will need to extend offers to those on our wait-list. This year, there appears to be an unusually strong demand for our MPH Program; it is possible that few applicants will decline our offer of a place. We will let you know as soon as we are in a position to be more definitive.

I need to emphasize that future offers will only be made to those who have satisfied all pre-requisites, including:  Successful completion of an undergraduate program, AND; Successful completion of a statistics course with a mid-B grade.

Please let me know if you DO NOT anticipate taking advantage of a future offer of a place at  s.lang@utoronto.ca

Best Regards

On Behalf of

Division of Social and Behavioural Health Sciences –

MPH Health Promotion Admissions Committee

Sandra Lang

Thanks Becks1!  Which is your first choice school?

I am a canadian citizen so I will have no problem working... I just want to know what is feasible in terms of work load before I go ahead an apply for a ton of jobs.  Has anyone heard much about the UVic program?

Hi there, thanks for letting me know!  Yes, one of my friends last year got into both U of T and SFU, and ended up going to SFU because they gave her money (always a deciding factor!) and U of T actually told her she might be happier at another school that had more global health connections?  She was pretty confused about it .. I still don't know why they told her that lol.  They said she had a lot of 'undergrad prep' (she had done 2 research assignments, 1 in India and 1 in Africa re: maternal health), and they said that their Global Health department is still growing..

Thanks for this response - super helpful!  I am in very much the same situation as your friend - how did she like the program?

I sent an email to UVic admission office to find out about my admission decision, i was told that my application is still in the department who are still reviewing it. For those of you that got acceptance to UVic, did you receive your offer letter from the admission office or the department? curious!

Thanks for this response - super helpful!  I am in very much the same situation as your friend - how did she like the program?

She's in the program at SFU right now and really likes it .  Says it's a lot of work but I guess that is to be expected!  She's heading out soon to New Delhi to do her practicum :)  Were you accepted to both U of T and SFU, and trying to decide?

I sent an email to UVic admission office to find out about my admission decision, i was told that my application is still in the department who are still reviewing it. For those of you that got acceptance to UVic, did you receive your offer letter from the admission office or the department? curious!

I got an email from Doug Thompson:

dthompso@uvic.ca

Doug Thompson, MA

Graduate Secretary and Administrative Assistant

School of Public Health and Social Policy

Room B202

Human and Social Development Building

University of Victoria

3800 Finnerty Road

Victoria, BC V8P 5C2

Tel.: 250-721-8204

Fax: 250-472-4109

Also, Joan Gillie is the program manager - jgillie@uvic.ca - and is who we are to contact with our acceptance.

Hope that helps!

I got an email from Doug Thompson:

dthompso@uvic.ca

Doug Thompson, MA

Graduate Secretary and Administrative Assistant

School of Public Health and Social Policy

Room B202

Human and Social Development Building

University of Victoria

3800 Finnerty Road

Victoria, BC V8P 5C2

Tel.: 250-721-8204

Fax: 250-472-4109

Also, Joan Gillie is the program manager - jgillie@uvic.ca - and is who we are to contact with our acceptance.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much. Sure, that helps.

Thanks Becks1! Which is your first choice school?

I am a canadian citizen so I will have no problem working... I just want to know what is feasible in terms of work load before I go ahead an apply for a ton of jobs. Has anyone heard much about the UVic program?

I like the U of A program concentration and choice of electives and I like Lakehead for not needing to go to campus. Lol. With kids it's an extra challenge to be gone, plus there is the airfare! So *if* I get into both, will be torn as Uvic sounds good too.

Has anyone not heard anything back from U of A?

nope, nothing. Bear tracks says 'decision pending' or something like that.

Doug from the department, same as Bee87.

Has anyone not heard anything back from U of A? 

Yep just got an email today saying I was approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and my status has changed on Bear Tracks to "conditional offer".

SFU MPH's Program - Advice from a Graduating Student

For anyone trying to decide between SFU and another university, I am a current student at SFU (population health stream), and this is my last term.  If you have your heart set on going to SFU, or that's your only offer, I do not recommend reading my post.

If you have other offers, I would suggest considering those universities.  I've REALLY disliked my graduate education at SFU; in fact, it feels like undergrad.  Most of the students would concur that they treat us like children (some would say infants).  Even students who did their undergrad at SFU complain about the grad program. The class sizes are huge.  801,802,803,845 (all required courses for all streams) have class sizes over 50 (up to 70). They admit a lot of students because they want the money (i.e., it's become a degree mill). And I've had more classes taught by sessional instructors (most of whom were terrible) than by tenure-track faculty.  So getting reference letters for jobs, etc. is very difficult.  Most students also complain about the supervision they get (most profs aren't on campus), and everyone has to have a supervisor.  Also, courses 900 and 901 are a complete waste of time (and they occupy every Wednesday from noon to 5 p.m., but it's another way they can make some money).  Also, most of the core courses have a lecture and a tutorial on separate days, so in your first year, if you only do two core courses, and 900/901, you should expect to be on campus 5 days a week (and SFU is not an easy campus to get to, and yes, it's really, really ugly and dreary in the winter).  Also, SFU doesn't have a lot of course offerings.  Students often do courses at UBC or UVic (distance) etc. through the Western Deans' Agreement. Some of the sessional instructors this term have been so bad that students have created petitions, etc.  The Faculty always has these sit-down meetings with students, but nothing ever comes of it.  So previous students have tried to improve things, but the Faculty completely disregards everything we say with excuse after excuse.  If you don't believe me, look at some of these reports produced by the SFU's Faculty of Graduate Studies (the FHS - HSCI - was generally rated the lowest of all the faculties by its students).  Also, keep in mind that this report was produced before they opened the flood gates to huge classes.  My cohort - 2011 - was the first big (50+) cohort.  So things have gotten worse.  And that whole accreditation thing: that only means that SFU agrees to teach certain courses and to cover certain content in those courses; it has NOTHING to do with quality.

I truly do not enjoy telling you this because it also degrades the value of my degree, but I wish I had someone tell me this before I went there.  BTW, UBC does have a great international reputation, and it classes are limited to 25 (many classes actually have class sizes much less), and most classes are taught by tenured faculty.  And UBC is cheaper and so are some other universities so don't let a few thousand dollar scholarship sway you into going to SFU.  There are TAs opportunities available at SFU, but they are a lot of work for the pay.

If you have other options, please consider them.

https://www.vancouver.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/dean-gradstudies/admin/staff/memos/Grad%20Student%20Exit%20Survey-%20Faculty%20Version.pdf

https://www.vancouver.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/blog/programprofiles/student-survey-reports.html

Yep just got an email today saying I was approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and my status has changed on Bear Tracks to "conditional offer".

Thank you for the response. I will check my bear tracks, although I am worried it is bad news since I haven't heard back from them yet, and I think that the seats for health promotion have been filled :( 

For those of you who applied to McGill, I just got my rejection email today. Although it was not my first choice, I am a bit disappointed :(

Hey, did you happen to recieve another email from McGill regarding the MPH? I posted earlier about being rejected, based on it saying refused under my status on the website (I hadnt gotten any emails). Then I received an email apologizing because they might have sent out a letter of refusal and it was a mistake and they have placed me on the waiting list. I wonder if this has happened to other people too...very confusing and I don't know what to expect from them anymore.

For anyone trying to decide between SFU and another university, I am a current student at SFU (population health stream), and this is my last term.  If you have your heart set on going to SFU, or that's your only offer, I do not recommend reading my post.

If you have other offers, I would suggest considering those universities.  I've REALLY disliked my graduate education at SFU; in fact, it feels like undergrad.  Most of the students would concur that they treat us like children (some would say infants).  Even students who did their undergrad at SFU complain about the grad program. The class sizes are huge.  801,802,803,845 (all required courses for all streams) have class sizes over 50 (up to 70). They admit a lot of students because they want the money (i.e., it's become a degree mill). And I've had more classes taught by sessional instructors (most of whom were terrible) than by tenure-track faculty.  So getting reference letters for jobs, etc. is very difficult.  Most students also complain about the supervision they get (most profs aren't on campus), and everyone has to have a supervisor.  Also, courses 900 and 901 are a complete waste of time (and they occupy every Wednesday from noon to 5 p.m., but it's another way they can make some money).  Also, most of the core courses have a lecture and a tutorial on separate days, so in your first year, if you only do two core courses, and 900/901, you should expect to be on campus 5 days a week (and SFU is not an easy campus to get to, and yes, it's really, really ugly and dreary in the winter).  Also, SFU doesn't have a lot of course offerings.  Students often do courses at UBC or UVic (distance) etc. through the Western Deans' Agreement. Some of the sessional instructors this term have been so bad that students have created petitions, etc.  The Faculty always has these sit-down meetings with students, but nothing ever comes of it.  So previous students have tried to improve things, but the Faculty completely disregards everything we say with excuse after excuse.  If you don't believe me, look at some of these reports produced by the SFU's Faculty of Graduate Studies (the FHS - HSCI - was generally rated the lowest of all the faculties by its students).  Also, keep in mind that this report was produced before they opened the flood gates to huge classes.  My cohort - 2011 - was the first big (50+) cohort.  So things have gotten worse.  And that whole accreditation thing: that only means that SFU agrees to teach certain courses and to cover certain content in those courses; it has NOTHING to do with quality.

I truly do not enjoy telling you this because it also degrades the value of my degree, but I wish I had someone tell me this before I went there.  BTW, UBC does have a great international reputation, and it classes are limited to 25 (many classes actually have class sizes much less), and most classes are taught by tenured faculty.  And UBC is cheaper and so are some other universities so don't let a few thousand dollar scholarship sway you into going to SFU.  There are TAs opportunities available at SFU, but they are a lot of work for the pay.

https://www.vancouver.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/dean-gradstudies/admin/staff/memos/Grad%20Student%20Exit%20Survey-%20Faculty%20Version.pdf

https://www.vancouver.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/blog/programprofiles/student-survey-reports.html

Wow! I "fell in love" with the SFU MPH program, and I thought their content ( as described on their website) closely matched my needs; It's the only one I applied to, and have been living anxiously for a couple of weeks now, waiting to hear from them! But I also like to consider "insider" experiences...and though this is hard for me to swallow, Its good food for thought! Mmmmmm what can I say...thanks for this info.  "A stitch in time saves 9."

Edited by UTH90

I'm in the same boat. Makes me anxious. 

Hey guys,

Hang in there. I have a feeling a number of people who got into U of A will be declining (I might). We had to confirm that we wanted our recommendation forwarded to Graduate Studies by April 5th. After this, they still have to forward the formal offer and wait for people to formally accept or decline. I'm pretty sure more seats will open up in the weeks to come...

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! Do you think the fact that UBC doesn't have streams puts students at a disadvantage? or does it matter when looking for employment? 

Hey guys,

Hang in there. I have a feeling a number of people who got into U of A will be declining (I might). We had to confirm that we wanted our recommendation forwarded to Graduate Studies by April 5th. After this, they still have to forward the formal offer and wait for people to formally accept or decline. I'm pretty sure more seats will open up in the weeks to come...

Hey guys! I have already rejected my health promotion offer from Alberta and will be most likely rejecting epi so hopefully more seats will open up soon! goodluck to everyone waiting 

Hi guys,

I realize I am late on joining this thread but I applied to MPH at UofT (OEH), Waterloo (Epi), McGill, Queens, and UofA.

I had an interview for MPH UofT(OEH) in Febuary and got accepted in early March.

I got rejected from Queens and McGill and I haven't heard anything about UofA or Waterloo.

Ana