MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

Hi Iv27,

Just curious if you heard anything about Western's Epi program?

Haven't heard anything, but a few people on here mentioned that they didn't here back from them until May last year. So I'm expecting the same this year.

Was it necessary to have 3 years of experience for Waterloo? It wasn't mentioned anywhere on the website. I'm asking because I had only one year of work experience (clinical practice) and was rejected by Waterloo.

When I called them to ask on the status of my application they said I was on their application list until they saw that I did not have 3 years of experience after graduating from an undergrad (I have 2). So although it is not listed it is one of their criteria.

I would have to disagree with you as it is very generalized statement.  One program is not necessarily better than the other and it depends where your interests lie.  I have been working in public health for over 10 years and I know many people who with an MPH with no epi background (including my husband) who start out making more than the max of the Epi in the job posting you referenced.  If you want to be an epidemiologist, then that's the reason to choose that specialization. 

I just said it was my opinion. Where does your husband work?

In my opinion U of T epi program is a much better option than the Queens general MPH, you will have a hard time finding jobs with just an MPH where as a EPI specialization will give you a job like this below, starting at 68 000. You will never get that with an MPH.

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=5529168&trk=jobs_jig_jobs&goback=.gmp_4034930]http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=5529168&trk=jobs_jig_jobs&goback=.gmp_4034930

Depends on where you want to work and what you want to do. Your employment options will always be limited if you have no/limited work experience. MPH programs provide an opportunity to gain real life experience through a practicum and this is especially helpful for those with limited experience. I've worked alongside folks with MSc, MPH, etc at international organizations and none of them have suffered financially because of their degrees. I haven't received my public health degree yet but I recently interviewed for a public health position with a starting salary range of $85,000-$105,000 so definitely think about what you might like to do after you graduate and decide which degree will best prepare you for that role.

Edited by Burkis

I just said it was my opinion. Where does your husband work?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so aggressive :)  The point I was trying to make was there are so many different job options out there for someone with an MPH.  Being an epidemiologist is a more specific career choice and if this type of study interests someone then they should go for it!  No doubt an MPH with an Epi stream will enable you to apply to both Epi jobs as well as jobs that have an MPH as a qualification requirement. I work with epidemiologists who are constantly saying there are few jobs out there but this is in my area and who knows what the future holds.  I agree with Burkis above w.r.t. experience.  My husband had 10 years public health experience when he graduated from his MPH program and his degree supplemented his career perfectly.  I am now in a similar situation and truly excited about the journey of obtaining an MPH to enhance my already existing career!

Was it necessary to have 3 years of experience for Waterloo? It wasn't mentioned anywhere on the website. I'm asking because I had only one year of work experience (clinical practice) and was rejected by Waterloo.

No, you don't need three years of relevant work experience for Waterloo, though it certainly helps. On the website, https://uwaterloo.ca/public-health-and-health-systems/future-graduate-students/professional-programs/master-public-health/master-public-health-applying, it only indicated one. However, I was accepted on probationary status this year (last year, I was wait listed, then rejected) because my grades weren't so good.

Basically, for probationary status, I have to end up with a 75% average on two courses - one in the fall and one in the winter. I had a 72% average but over three years of relevant work experience. It certainly helps if you do have the grades AND the work experience. What was also different this time around was that I submitted two work references instead of one work and one academic. My grades weren't great and I graduated in 2009. I took the risk and submitted two work references, since I know my academic reference will be too general. Waterloo was also the only school that I applied to.

Relevant is also highly subjective. From reading the posts on here, the majority of applicants have clinical practice or research experience. I don't have any of that. I worked in a community health centre for a year as an office manager, developing policies and working on budgets for new programs. It was more administrative in nature but had a high impact that affected the catchment area it served. I would say the selling point is my current work experience at a regulatory college. I coordinate assessments for a specific type of regulated health professionals, worked with Public Health Ontario to develop infection control policies, worked with Cancer Care Ontario to develop standards for clinics, etc. I've been in this position for a year and a half. I emphasized how much an MPH would help in my current position and how it will help get me where I want to go. I described that the MPH will give me a unique perspective, as most of my colleagues would be coming from different backgrounds.

So, even with not so great marks, still apply! Just find ways to make it work. You know what your strengths are, so do play it up.

No, you don't need three years of relevant work experience for Waterloo, though it certainly helps. On the website, https://uwaterloo.ca/public-health-and-health-systems/future-graduate-students/professional-programs/master-public-health/master-public-health-applying, it only indicated one. However, I was accepted on probationary status this year (last year, I was wait listed, then rejected) because my grades weren't so good.

Basically, for probationary status, I have to end up with a 75% average on two courses - one in the fall and one in the winter. I had a 72% average but over three years of relevant work experience. It certainly helps if you do have the grades AND the work experience. What was also different this time around was that I submitted two work references instead of one work and one academic. My grades weren't great and I graduated in 2009. I took the risk and submitted two work references, since I know my academic reference will be too general. Waterloo was also the only school that I applied to.

Relevant is also highly subjective. From reading the posts on here, the majority of applicants have clinical practice or research experience. I don't have any of that. I worked in a community health centre for a year as an office manager, developing policies and working on budgets for new programs. It was more administrative in nature but had a high impact that affected the catchment area it served. I would say the selling point is my current work experience at a regulatory college. I coordinate assessments for a specific type of regulated health professionals, worked with Public Health Ontario to develop infection control policies, worked with Cancer Care Ontario to develop standards for clinics, etc. I've been in this position for a year and a half. I emphasized how much an MPH would help in my current position and how it will help get me where I want to go. I described that the MPH will give me a unique perspective, as most of my colleagues would be coming from different backgrounds.

So, even with not so great marks, still apply! Just find ways to make it work. You know what your strengths are, so do play it up.

Thank you for all of your insight. I have been placed on the wait list this year for the MPH program at Waterloo and am wondering when you heard a final response in regards to your application last year? Thank you in advance!

hi..i have got a letter from department of family and community medicine MPH that the department has recommended my name to the university... does this mean i will get in? and is MPH in family and community medicine a good option..please help me..

I applied to U of A residence, specifically the Graduate Residence on Monday. If you go to http://www.residence.ualberta.ca/en/ApplyforResidence.aspx, hit apply at the bottom of the page, login using your U of A ID. On the page I found the Graduate residence application under the Apartment Housing Applications for August 2013 to July 2014 section. I hope it helps.

Thanks alot. I'm still waiting to hear from Lakehead and U of T.

I applied to U of A residence, specifically the Graduate Residence on Monday. If you go to http://www.residence.ualberta.ca/en/ApplyforResidence.aspx, hit apply at the bottom of the page, login using your U of A ID. On the page I found the Graduate residence application under the Apartment Housing Applications for August 2013 to July 2014 section. I hope it helps.

Thank you!! 

Hi everyone,

For those on waiting lists, I recently declined my offers from U of A and Queen's.

Also, I was reading some earlier posts and just thought I'd weigh in on the issue about class size. I have completed a Master's in Journalism, as well as a Master's in Science. Both programs had roughly 50 people, and there was plenty of interaction! I don't feel I missed out on a graduate experience. Many assignments required working in much smaller groups, and elective courses would have 10-20 people in them. I actually got to know everyone in both my classes pretty well!

In the end, it's up to you and what you take from your experiences :)

Please does anyone knows if UVic MPH program ever sends rejection email to candidates if rejected, or they just keep silent. Am tired of waiting, i keep mailing them to know when exactly all decisions would be made, and i keep getting exactly the same response that the committee are still reviewing applications and decisions would be forthcoming.

They never give me a specific date. I don't like that attitude at all. If am rejected they should go ahead and tell me that, instead of 'posting' me. Its not just fair! :(

hi..i have got a letter from department of family and community medicine MPH that the department has recommended my name to the university... does this mean i will get in? and is MPH in family and community medicine a good option..please help me..

hi..i have got a letter from department of family and community medicine MPH that the department has recommended my name to the university... does this mean i will get in? and is MPH in family and community medicine a good option..please help me..

hahah thanks! finally figured it out :)

Hey Guys anyone for U Of S MPH program this fall ?

I am new to this blog, should have joined long ago. I have been accepted at U of Saskatachewan MPH. If someone out there in the same boat , please do reply.

Regards :)

Anyone hear anything from Usask or McGill?

Hello!

Have you made it to USASK , just asking politely, if yes and if you are coming, please do let me know.

Hello!

Have you made it to USASK , just asking politely, if yes and if you are coming, please do let me know.

Nope...unfortunately I got rejected by Usask :-(

I received a letter in the mail from UofT informing me that I was refused for admission to the epi program. Definitely some sad news :(

At this point, I think I have decided to attend the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Although the school has a great reputation, the tuition costs are something to consider.

Did anyone else apply to LSHTM?

On my linkedIn account today a cool website was recommended. Its 150 free (or almost free) public health courses.

http://mphprogramslist.com/awesome-free-online-public-health-courses/?goback=%2Egde_4005183_member_235407186

Just in case anyone wants to browse through before the fall!

Great resource - thanks for posting!