Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

• 3 weeks later...

I've already started the application process and having been through this last year, I'm a little more calm about it this time around. Based on experience, these message boards really start to pick up around Nov/Dec. Good luck to everyone and looking forward to having great moral support from all of you during the stressful days ahead! :P

I'd love to fast forward to Spring already!! haha

Cheers!

Does anyone have any advice on re-asking for academic references. Last year I stressed myself out thinking the only prof I could think of this year would say no, and since on back for round two of applications I once again concerned. Any advice?

Hi,

I have re-asked two of my 3 references from last year. I was basically upfront in my email (which I always find easier than in person). What I said was that I was unsuccessful for (insert reason here) last year but I have spent the past year working on areas for improvement. I then said that I would appreciate if they would be kind enough to provide a reference again this year. Each person said 'yes'. I think it was 'easy' for them since they had saved their reference from last year anyway so it isn't like they have to re-write the letter.

I would suggest that you dont stress about asking them. If they did it last year, they are probably okay to do it again---but only re-ask if you think they gave you a good letter. If you felt that they were a bit indifferent about it, then find another prof. Believe me, I know it is hard, just try your best to take the emotion out of it and focus on the task. If they cant do it then move on and go down your list of profs who might. But having said that, I dont think it will be a problem for your prof! Good luck!!

Does anyone have any advice on re-asking for academic references. Last year I stressed myself out thinking the only prof I could think of this year would say no, and since on back for round two of applications I once again concerned. Any advice?

If anyone has any questions about Laurier's 2 year MSW program, application process etc feel free to post them here and I will do my best to answer them

if you dont mind me asking, how many years of experience did you have prior to applying? thanks

if you dont mind me asking, how many years of experience did you have prior to applying? thanks

I had no direct social work experience but I had 2 years of volunteer work in a mental health setting and 2 years of research experience

I had no direct social work experience but I had 2 years of volunteer work in a mental health setting and 2 years of research experience

thanks! thats quite encouraging to hear.... I have a similar background... had applied earlier somewhere in 08 whiles still in school but i didnt have much volunteering experience and such.... so are you are you enjoying the program so far? how about the City of Kitchener?

Hi all,

I'm planning on applying to UofT and Windsor's 2 year MSW programs this year. Looking forward to going through this all together!

Hey. I'm planning on applying to U of T, York and Laurier 2-year MSW programs. I was part of last years MSW application to York where it got totally screwed up, so I am so not looking forward to going through the York deal again.

Hey. I'm planning on applying to U of T, York and Laurier 2-year MSW programs. I was part of last years MSW application to York where it got totally screwed up, so I am so not looking forward to going through the York deal again.

I am also planning on applying to UoT and Laurier... maybe windsor if i still have money left...UoT's applciation fee is $ 170 :(.... the last time i did apply for school it was $60....

Hi everyone,

So far I have applied to the one year programs at both Carleton and U of T. I also plan to apply to Western. Considering Ryerson as well now. Feeling a little less confident the more I read, so hoping to boost my chances by applying to 4, haha.

thanks! thats quite encouraging to hear.... I have a similar background... had applied earlier somewhere in 08 whiles still in school but i didnt have much volunteering experience and such.... so are you are you enjoying the program so far? how about the City of Kitchener?

The program is great! I don't live in Kitchener so I don't spend too much time there but it's nice.

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on so many factors. In the Toronto area, Laurier has a great reputation as does York and U of T. But each stresses a different aspect of Social Work. For instance, U of T is heavy on research. Ryerson is all about anti-oppressive practice. Basically, pick your school based on your academic interests and the type of work you want to do upon graduation and of course, what city/province you want to do your schooling.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I just graduated with a BA and want to apply for MSW. Does anyone know which schools have a good MSW program?

Hi there,

Yes, this is the emotional rollercoaster that is graduate admissions! Applying to 4 schools is a great idea. As long as you have a good average (B is usually the minimum but I think B+ or A- is more common for admissions) and paid experience, you stand a good chance. Just make sure you have plenty of people read your written work to make sure it is top notch.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

So far I have applied to the one year programs at both Carleton and U of T. I also plan to apply to Western. Considering Ryerson as well now. Feeling a little less confident the more I read, so hoping to boost my chances by applying to 4, haha.

I've applied to UofT and Laurier. I considered York but I read on their site that they only accepted roughly 20 people last year for the two year program. I wasn't confident enough to lose another 100 bucks on an application... Maybe next year if this year doesn't work out.

I know how you feel, this process can really make you second-guess your qualifications. I applied to 3 schools last year and struck out (which wasn't a surprise considering that I was lacking in my gpa). But if you have a decent gpa and good experience, you stand a good chance of getting admitted somewhere. I think pretty much every school only admits around 25-35% of applicants. Most local schools that have both the 1yr and 2yr streams get a total of around 700 applicants, give or take. Chances are you will be competing against pretty much the same group of people regardless of the school. Stay confident--just do your best with your statement and hopefully you will gain admission.

I've applied to UofT and Laurier. I considered York but I read on their site that they only accepted roughly 20 people last year for the two year program. I wasn't confident enough to lose another 100 bucks on an application... Maybe next year if this year doesn't work out.

Hey all!

I originally posted that I was considering applying to Toronto and Windsor, but I'm really liking Laurier now.

I'm wondering how many people applied or will apply for graduate scholarships. In the Laurier application there is a place to indicate if you are applying for a scholarship...if I don't apply will I be at a disadvantage?

Hi Beth,

I did not apply for a scholarship so I'm not quite sure about the process.

(disclaimer: this is my opinion only, please take it with a grain of salt)

Regarding your question about not applying and whether that would put you at a disadvantage--yes and no. Sure it would put you at a disadvantage if you want a scholarship but not at all for the actual MSW admission.

If you dont apply but think you would qualify for the scholarship should you be admitted, I think it is important for you to look at deadlines. I dont think they offer scholarships first come/first serve but you need to look at that University's criteria. You may actually have to have separate scholarship application papers in well ahead of the MSW application deadline. To the best of my knowledge, ticking a box on the application is only alerting them that you're applying, it is not the actual 'application'.

But as far as the MSW program, applying for a scholarship has no impact on whether you gain admission or not. They only consider gpa, statement of purpose, resume, reference letters. Scholarship has nothing to do with it.

I hope that makes sense! :)

Hey all!

I originally posted that I was considering applying to Toronto and Windsor, but I'm really liking Laurier now.

I'm wondering how many people applied or will apply for graduate scholarships. In the Laurier application there is a place to indicate if you are applying for a scholarship...if I don't apply will I be at a disadvantage?

Hi Beth,

You may want to research each school's website. All will have a pretty good description about their program focus within their vision statement. Look for the key words like, Anti-oppression, Research, Social Justice, etc. This will tell you what they *want* to be known for and will help you decide whether that school's focus matches your career focus.

Hope that helps!

Was also wondering if someone could let me know what each school is "known" for.

All I can really gather is that UofT is very research/theoretical oriented??

Seems like I'm in the same boat as everyone in regards to concerns for qualifying in applications. I know my grades from university are not great- but do meet the requirements. Other than that, I have an HBa, a diploma, and certificates in advanced counselling, case management and criminal justice; including 4 years of work and volunteering in community services so I am hoping that it pays off somehow.

I applied to York, U of T and Laurier. So far the smoothest application is U of T an the worst is York. I admit I'm not too sure about which university stands for what- I will just be happy to get into any program and get going.

FH 2012, it sounds like you're doing everything right! Good luck!! I agree that U of T has the smoothest application process. They are excellent at communicating with applicants and that is why I only applied there this year.

Just curious, has anyone out there has completed all of their applications? Anyone still waiting on references?