Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

I dont think you are at all alone with being afraid to submit your written statement. It is a huge deal and you want to make sure you hand in your best work. I think I'll be submitting mine closer to the deadline just so I dont have 'early submission regret'. But other than that, I'm pretty much done. I just got my last reference submitted, yay!

I have to say, it is a bit hard to concentrate on the application when there are so many end of term assignments due. So much stress this time of year!

I'm amazed that I usually get a response from Angela within a day whenever I email her. I've completed my application for UFT but I haven't submitted my written statement. I keep going over it and editing (for some odd reason, i'm afraid to submit it) I'm still waiting on a reference from a volunteer supervisor but I should get it within the week.

I agree. That written statement is like a huge weight on the shoulders that I am procrastinating on submitting.

As for references..although not all of mine are submitted yet, after last years experience, I told all my references that all documents-except U of T as they can just upload it online, were due two weeks before the deadline- that way I'm not running right to the deadline. I am finding however that I don't like Laurier's application to process- to complicated and messy for my liking- but I do think it's good that they recogniize recommendations submitted the prior year if you are not accepted into the program.

The only thing I am really holding my breath on this year is York's decision. Last year it to forever fo a response. Even this year I have emailed them a couple times and last month and I still haven't received a response.....great no?!

After reading what people had to say last year about York's frustrating communication process, it totally turned me off. I personally dont think York has the *best* program for me anyway so I didn't apply there. I think they were in the middle of a move during the spring last year and that may have added to the poor communication. However, it looks like the same bad communication happened in previous years so I wouldn't be expecting much better this year for those who applied.

Two applications down, two to go. Feels so good to be half way through. Kudos to those of you who are currently in school while doing these applications. I can't imagine doing all this in the midst of final papers and exams. Hope everyone is getting through it okay :)

Friends!

I was taking a look at last years discussion board and am feeling the nerves already....

I know most schools consider four things during admissions: GPA, personal statement, references and experience. For the longest time I've felt that I don't have enough experience, I'm too young to be considered and my GPA isn't as good as I think it is. Who knows about references and personal statement....I'm feeling super cynical right and wondering if something could help! My GPA is around a 79% but my last year is about a 84-5%. Is this good?...

Stats - 78%

Research methods - 90%

Experiences - lots of intermittent volunteer experiences at some relevant locations (hard to nail down some part/full time experience throughout school and constantly moving), special needs counsellor at camp for three years and camp director for two years.

References - since there is no social work program at my current school it's hard to get any direct social work faculty. However, my fourth-year ethics professor was a social worker and is writing a reference. I also have two other references from my work/practicum positions.

Personal statement - can't say much here yet! Finished my draft and will polish it all up once exams are complete.

ahhhhhhhh what do you think....? honestly....

Hi Beth,

It sounds like you have a solid gpa (the research methods mark is fantastic!). Your experience also sounds great. References: you really have no control over those and can only hope that whoever has agreed to provide one will do their best to make you shine. The one thing that can really make a difference is your personal statement. Have lots of smart people who are not afraid to offer constructive criticism proof-read it--and follow their advice (unless it feels 'wrong').

Really, in my opinion, you've got a great chance. Just make sure the goals you identify in your personal statement are in line with what the school offers. I'm not certain but I think strong candidates can be rejected just because the committee doesn't think they are a good match for the program.

Good luck!

Friends!

I was taking a look at last years discussion board and am feeling the nerves already....

I know most schools consider four things during admissions: GPA, personal statement, references and experience. For the longest time I've felt that I don't have enough experience, I'm too young to be considered and my GPA isn't as good as I think it is. Who knows about references and personal statement....I'm feeling super cynical right and wondering if something could help! My GPA is around a 79% but my last year is about a 84-5%. Is this good?...

Stats - 78%

Research methods - 90%

Experiences - lots of intermittent volunteer experiences at some relevant locations (hard to nail down some part/full time experience throughout school and constantly moving), special needs counsellor at camp for three years and camp director for two years.

References - since there is no social work program at my current school it's hard to get any direct social work faculty. However, my fourth-year ethics professor was a social worker and is writing a reference. I also have two other references from my work/practicum positions.

Personal statement - can't say much here yet! Finished my draft and will polish it all up once exams are complete.

ahhhhhhhh what do you think....? honestly....

Submitted my UofT application a couple of days ago. I have an exam on the 16th and 17th and I knew if I didn't get it over with I would be spending too much time on it and not studying! Gathered all of the references I need for the Laurier one today. Haven't even started that application, kind of stressing out about how complicated it is. Does anyone know if we can mail out the application on January 15th and have it still be considered? As long as it's post-marked?

I've applied to four schools. My first choice is Carleton though. I applied to all advanced standing programs at Carleton, U of T, Ryerson, and York.

The process was really tedious with York U...

I've been working in the social services field for about 4-5 years (part time during school/full time during summer months); currently at CAS. Got a CYW diploma, B.A. in sociology, and BSW....hopefully I get in...I've worked way too hard and have too much debt!!

Grades were in the mid B range until Carleton which I pulled my GPA up to A-.

When do you usually find out????

Two applications down, two to go. Feels so good to be half way through. Kudos to those of you who are currently in school while doing these applications. I can't imagine doing all this in the midst of final papers and exams. Hope everyone is getting through it okay :)

I am one such person! I'm in the last year of my BSW program. My semester ended in early Dec but I didn't have the time to sit down and work on my UofT personal statement until two weeks ago. Luckily Laurier's was due early so there's still time for me to do UofT's. With both out of the way now I can sit back, relax and enjoy the time off. :)

Now that I've submitted my application, I'm all nervous! This is the part that I hate, the rollercoaster ride of emotions until you find out the results. March/April cant come fast enough.

Now that I've submitted my application, I'm all nervous! This is the part that I hate, the rollercoaster ride of emotions until you find out the results. March/April cant come fast enough.

We've done all that we can so it's all up to the powers that be to decide. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

To those who applied to U of T, has your file been updated or is it still 'documents pending'?  I'm waiting for mine to change to 'under review'.

How is everyone feeling about their chances??

Midnight Rose: Enjoy your vacation! I'm sure once you hit that beach you'll find a way to occupy your mind with other thoughts :)

Nea: Welcome!  Yes, the obsessive discussion will pick up quite a bit in the coming weeks!

Selecttext: Is UofT your first choice?

Scotto123 
I'm at Carleton now completing my MSW. I'm not sure about the advanced stream, as I'm in the 2 year, but Carleton was the first school I heard back from. They were significantly earlier than all of the other schools, I heard mid February. 

Hope that helps, 

Amy

Hey everyone,

To those who applied to U of T, has your file been updated or is it still 'documents pending'?  I'm waiting for mine to change to 'under review'.

Hi MSW13, mine is also listed as "under review." Maybe contact Factor-Inwentash? They were really quick and helpful when I sent them an email a couple of weeks back :) 

Thanks Karlie! I just checked and the status has changed to under review.  Did you attend any of the info sessions?

Hi MSW13, mine is also listed as "under review." Maybe contact Factor-Inwentash? They were really quick and helpful when I sent them an email a couple of weeks back :)

I hope so! Once I return, i'm heading straight to the mail box. My status for U of T recently changed to 'under review' and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get in. I feel that my grades and experiences will help but you never know.

From what I understand, most people admitted have at least a B+ or A-. But that is for the MSW program, I'm not sure of the stats for the Counselling Psychology program at Oise.  Is it highly competitive?