Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

The requirements for the OISE program is roughly the same as the MSW program. They're asking for B+ or better in the final year and one year of relevant experience. I personally feel I have a better chance of getting admitted in the MSW program than the Counselling program for some reason but we'll see. That's my first choice and MSW is my back up.

Good luck to you! It sounds like any offer of admission would be a good one for you.  If you dont mind sharing, what is your gpa?

I applied to U of T last year but didn't get in. I've applied again this year using the same transcript and reference letters. Only added more publications and updated my resume. The waiting game begins. I happy to have found this forum and to know that there are people feeling the same way as I am if not more.

Thanks Karlie! I just checked and the status has changed to under review.  Did you attend any of the info sessions?

No, I didn't. I live about 90 minutes outside of Toronto and none of the dates worked for me. I've actually never visited any of the schools I'm applying to besides Western, which is where I did my first undergrad. So if I do get accepted, I am making it a goal to visit each campus and more specifically their school of social work. 

So, this has been the WORST year for applications for me.

York lost my hard copy of my academic reference, now I am having trouble connecting with the professor to see if he can re-submit it. All the while, in true York fashion, York is giving me the run around saying everything from I need to be patient and wait (a month after it was submitted) to accusing my professor of lying about submitting the reference (a professor who submitted a reference last year and two more references this year). I also had York's admission office tell me that I really don't have to worry about the deadlines as they are just suggestions for when to have the applications in and she didn't like me telling her she really did not have the authority to state that the deadlines don't matter.

Then I find out today that my U of T application states "Document Pending", however the actually supporting documents section indicates that all have been submitted.

Now I am really nervous about Laurier, I feel as if what could go wrong will; and with Laurier's application process soooo much can go missing.

After my experience this year, if I don't get in I give up on the MSW path and will never re-apply to York!

Then I find out today that my U of T application states "Document Pending", however the actually supporting documents section indicates that all have been submitted.

The good news is that U of T states that you dont need to worry about the 'documents pending' if you have submitted everything.  The reason it is still there is because they have to manually change it to 'under review'.  I cant remember exactly where I read it (maybe on the FAQ's page??) but it says that it takes until the end of January to make all of the status updates. 

York is a nightmare. All you have to do is read back in some of these forum threads to see just how awful they are.

Hello everyone,

Just like the rest of you, I am very much anxious, nervous, and excited all at the same time. I applied to U of T on the last day of online applications and submitted all of my documents very late in the game-the last day of submission, i think. I am in the process of resubmitting my transcript to include my fall marks in the GPA calculation for U of T. I hope that helps a bit on the competitiveness of my application. I am in the upper B+ range with experiences in community organizing and social justice advocacy, as well as research assistantship at OISE. BTW my status is still in 'documents pending' situation. 

I applied to York as well and submitted all of my applications but my documents were received a bit late. I am really kind of worried that these affected my applications.

Do you guys think that having submitted my applications a bit late in the game affected my chances of getting in? 

I am really nervous. ugh.

Wish everyone the best of luck! Hoping that all of us get into the programs we really want! May the odds forever be in ou favour!  

The good news is that U of T states that you dont need to worry about the 'documents pending' if you have submitted everything.  The reason it is still there is because they have to manually change it to 'under review'.  I cant remember exactly where I read it (maybe on the FAQ's page??) but it says that it takes until the end of January to make all of the status updates. 

York is a nightmare. All you have to do is read back in some of these forum threads to see just how awful they are.

That is nice to know. Thanks :)

I was starting to worry after reading the posts on page 3. My U of T application also says "documents pending" even though I submitted everything a long time ago.

York is really bad with administrative stuff. It is really difficult to get them to answer simple questions. At least you guys only need to deal with it during the application process.

Thank you! I'm worried about getting accepted to only Laurier because I can't afford to move there. My school uses a 9 point scale and mine is 8.1 for my last 60 credits

That is excellent! It sounds like you should have no problem getting into most, if not all, of your chosen programs.  8 is equivalent to an A, is it not?  That would be pretty hard for most schools to turn down.  I think Laurier focuses heavily on experience as well.  As long as you have that, you are definitely in a good place!  If you only get accepted to Laurier, I am sure you will find a way to move there...there is *always* a way  :)

I'm feeling SO anxious about all of this that I'm pretty sure that I'm going to apply to some post-degree BSW programs now. Applications due February 1st so soon but still enough time! WAHHH people are already asking me if I've heard anything....it's going to be a long few months. 

I'm not sure about York but for U of T, as long as you got your documents in before the deadline (doesn't matter if it was at 11:59pm, they are not late so no need to worry) they will review your application.  I dont believe that they look at applications in the order they were received, they sort them according to predetermined criteria (ie/ by gpa etc) and review them that way.

My opinion only: For York, if they reject your application for late documents/incomplete application etc, you will likely get an rejection letter sooner than later.

Hello everyone,

Just like the rest of you, I am very much anxious, nervous, and excited all at the same time. I applied to U of T on the last day of online applications and submitted all of my documents very late in the game-the last day of submission, i think. I am in the process of resubmitting my transcript to include my fall marks in the GPA calculation for U of T. I hope that helps a bit on the competitiveness of my application. I am in the upper B+ range with experiences in community organizing and social justice advocacy, as well as research assistantship at OISE. BTW my status is still in 'documents pending' situation. 

I applied to York as well and submitted all of my applications but my documents were received a bit late. I am really kind of worried that these affected my applications.

Do you guys think that having submitted my applications a bit late in the game affected my chances of getting in? 

I am really nervous. ugh.

Wish everyone the best of luck! Hoping that all of us get into the programs we really want! May the odds forever be in ou favour!  

I'm feeling SO anxious about all of this that I'm pretty sure that I'm going to apply to some post-degree BSW programs now. Applications due February 1st so soon but still enough time! WAHHH people are already asking me if I've heard anything....it's going to be a long few months. 

Post BSW programs? which one are you looking at? I may be interested... thanks

Post BSW programs? which one are you looking at? I may be interested... thanks

Yes some Schools of Social Work offer a BSW degree (usually 2 years...correct me if I am wrong) geared towards those who are currently in a degree program or who have already completed a degree. 

I am planning on applying to York and Carleton right now. 

I dont believe that they look at applications in the order they were received, they sort them according to predetermined criteria (ie/ by gpa etc) and review them that way.

Hello, in regards to you this comment, how do you know that it is sorted by predetermined criteria, such as GPA?

As for the question about how many applicants U of T had this year, I called in and heard that it was approximately 950 applicants which is more competitive than last year.  Approximately 120 students are accepted.  Good luck to everyone!

Hello, in regards to you this comment, how do you know that it is sorted by predetermined criteria, such as GPA?

As for the question about how many applicants U of T had this year, I called in and heard that it was approximately 950 applicants which is more competitive than last year.  Approximately 120 students are accepted.  Good luck to everyone!

To be honest, I cant remember exactly where I heard that the applications are sorted by other criteria but I do recal that this info was given by a person in the know.  Also, at the info session they told us that last year they had approx 700 applications for the 2yr and 285 for the 1yr. Was the 950 number you heard for total applications or just the 2yr? If it is total applications then it is pretty  much the same as last year.   Also, they told us that they accepted approx 140 applicants for the 2yr last year.  Maybe they are accepting less students this year??

Windsor seems pretty quick so far. They've already received all of my documents and recorded it in their "mywindsor" system. I have already been referred to the department of social work and it's been less than a week. 

Go Windsor Go! 

Yes some Schools of Social Work offer a BSW degree (usually 2 years...correct me if I am wrong) geared towards those who are currently in a degree program or who have already completed a degree. 

I am planning on applying to York and Carleton right now. 

Good to know..... thats a really good back up.... McGill used to have a similar special BSW program for 2 years or so which had the flexibility for you to transfer onto their MSW program depending how well you do after the first year.... I may consider this.... I just hate chasing after references!

To be honest, I cant remember exactly where I heard that the applications are sorted by other criteria but I do recal that this info was given by a person in the know. Also, at the info session they told us that last year they had approx 700 applications for the 2yr and 285 for the 1yr. Was the 950 number you heard for total applications or just the 2yr? If it is total applications then it is pretty much the same as last year. Also, they told us that they accepted approx 140 applicants for the 2yr last year. Maybe they are accepting less students this year??

The administrator told me that 950 is just for the two year.

Windsor seems pretty quick so far. They've already received all of my documents and recorded it in their "mywindsor" system. I have already been referred to the department of social work and it's been less than a week. 

Go Windsor Go! 

thats good to know.... my status is still incomplete.... :(

The administrator told me that 950 is just for the two year.

Oh wow! The competition is definitely fierce.  I applied to the advanced standing, hopefully the number is a little less scary.

Oh wow! The competition is definitely fierce.  I applied to the advanced standing, hopefully the number is a little less scary.

Yeah would imagine that the  it will be more competitive as the years go by... but 950 applications? thats pretty crazy......

Go Windsor Go! 

Beth,

I have applied to Windsor and Laurier as well and WIndsor was also very fast in recording my documents on MyUwindsor! Hopefully the application process is just as fast haha. April is such a long wait.

Thank you! I'm worried about getting accepted to only Laurier because I can't afford to move there. My school uses a 9 point scale and mine is 8.1 for my last 60 credits

I'm in the same boat! I live in Windsor so it would be extremely convenient for me to be accepted at Windsor. Laurier is sort of my back up. Although I think I would enjoy Laurier's program more since it is more specific to what I'd like to do, I don't really think I could afford the living expenses! Ahhh, we'll see what happens!