Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to receive confirmation from Laurier that our application was received? 

I'm so paranoid, I regret not paying the extra 8 dollars for a tracking number  :unsure:

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to receive confirmation from Laurier that our application was received? 

I'm so paranoid, I regret not paying the extra 8 dollars for a tracking number  :unsure:

I emailed them on Thursday and they said that they email receipts two weeks after the application date!

Their exact email response,

"Due to the volume of applications we are not able to respond to individual requests for confirmation.  However, we will acknowledge receipt of your application package using the email address provided, within two weeks after the deadline date.  

As well, if applicable, we will contact applicants if there are any outstanding transcripts or references.  "

Edited by AccioMSW

My mom is supportive of me going to Laurier if I have no choice but my partner's parents are not too fond of the idea of me doing my masters outside of Toronto and they discourage it -.-

Definitely how I feel! I don't think I have the energy to commute there either. Fingers crossed that we get into a school that won't cause more financial stress than necessary.

Wow, that is stressful.  It is so hard to make decisions when others are weighing in on what you 'should' do.  Ulitmately you will have to block out all of the chatter and do what is best for your future...not an easy task by any means.  Just like other decisions you make in life, if you make them for the wrong reasons, you may just end up resenting the person(s) who encouraged you that way.  Hopefully you will gain admission to U of T and the choice will be easy.  :)

I emailed them on Thursday and they said that they email receipts two weeks after the application date!

Their exact email response,

"Due to the volume of applications we are not able to respond to individual requests for confirmation.  However, we will acknowledge receipt of your application package using the email address provided, within two weeks after the deadline date.  

As well, if applicable, we will contact applicants if there are any outstanding transcripts or references.  "

Thank you! Just have hope for the best

Edited by jaylynn

Hi, I am new here, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from those who have experience applying for MSW in Canada..

my profile:

I originally studied economics, and I have been working for about four years now after finishing up my MA in 2008. I was never really happy at my job because it's only financially rewarding, and I really want to do something that helps people (you must have heard this latter thing a million times.. but it's true..). Anyway, I would like to apply for MSW for Fall 2014 admission - by which time I will be 30. Unfortunately I don't have much volunteer experience as of now (aside from putting in an hour or so every week at my church with prep work), but I plan to get more involved in volunteering this year. Is it true that some schools consider volunteer experience just as important as grades, while some others don't? For instance, I looked at the McGill MSW website, and it says I need 1 full year of volunteering.. 

also, do admissions care which major your undergrad was in for the two year MSW programme?  my undergrad grades were decent (A- average), but my graduate GPA was not that good (somewhere between B/B+ at UofT).

lastly.. would you say that social work is not a recommended profession for very shy and introverted people (me)? 

Thanks for any comments

Hi,

I've only heard from Carleton who said that they are beginning to review applications and are aiming to have the decisions out by Mid-February. It will be nice to have at least one response in the near future.

I have applied to UNBC for their MEd program in Counselling as well as Laurier and University of Regina for their MSW Advanced Standing Programs. I have recently heard back from all three schools, as they have confirmed applications and are in the midst of reviewing applications.

• Laurier emailed me with this response: " Offers to the MSW Advanced Standing (full-time) program will begin to be sent out late February. "
  • UNBC: . .."It is usually around the latter half of April before people find out if they have been accepted."
  • U of Regina: "..Please note that the reviewing procedure is a timely process and can take up to 6 weeks for the Academic Unit to make their recommendation. It is usually around mid March that applicants hear if they have been accepted or not"

I recognize that both UNBC and U of Regina are schools that many of you have not applied to. I am currently a clinical social worker on a military base looking at obtainning my MSW in order to further my clinical work. Last year I graduated with my BSW and was very lucky to be offered a full time clinical counselling position a few months after.  During my fourth year of UNI, I applied for my MSW at U of T (where I was waitlisted) and York where I was Rejected. This year, I decided to apply to schools that were less competitive, hoping to increase my chances. I did get accepted to University of Queensland (in Australia) but financially it was impossible..60,000, YIKES).

Best of luck to everyone

Becki

Hi there. I'm from New Brunswick and I'm applied to the MSW program at Dalhousie in Halifax as well as the MED in Counselling at the University of of New Brunswick. Dalhousie said they send out their letters mid Feb.

Does anyone know anything about people either themselves or someone they know who has applied  under the affirmative action policy? For my Dal application I qualified under their policy twice. Does it really do anything to increase your chances of acceptance?

Just received confirmation e-mail from Laurier for 2-year program. 

They said they will be sending out any further notices if you are missing anything from your package in the next few weeks. 

Decisions should be sent out in early April

Just received confirmation e-mail from Laurier for 2-year program. 

They said they will be sending out any further notices if you are missing anything from your package in the next few weeks. 

Decisions should be sent out in early April

I got mine today too! Yippee!

Hi, I am new here, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from those who have experience applying for MSW in Canada..

my profile:

I originally studied economics, and I have been working for about four years now after finishing up my MA in 2008. I was never really happy at my job because it's only financially rewarding, and I really want to do something that helps people (you must have heard this latter thing a million times.. but it's true..). Anyway, I would like to apply for MSW for Fall 2014 admission - by which time I will be 30. Unfortunately I don't have much volunteer experience as of now (aside from putting in an hour or so every week at my church with prep work), but I plan to get more involved in volunteering this year. Is it true that some schools consider volunteer experience just as important as grades, while some others don't? For instance, I looked at the McGill MSW website, and it says I need 1 full year of volunteering.. 

also, do admissions care which major your undergrad was in for the two year MSW programme?  my undergrad grades were decent (A- average), but my graduate GPA was not that good (somewhere between B/B+ at UofT).

lastly.. would you say that social work is not a recommended profession for very shy and introverted people (me)? 

Thanks for any comments

Hello,

Firstly, I think it is great that you are thinking about entering the field of Social Work.  Secondly, whatever I'm saying here is my opinion only so take it with a good heap of salt  B)     

From what I have read it should not be a problem to make the transition over to social work as long as you explain your reasons for doing so in your statement while also showing how you have prepared yourself for this field.  For instance, have you taken relevant courses? Have you volunteered in the sector? Do you know what population you want to work with?  It will be much harder to convince a committee if you cannot demonstrate your interest.  For instance, right now you have minimal volunteer experience.  Even for someone who has the educational background, inadequate experience is going to hold them back. Also, it is not enough to say that you want to 'help people'.  A masters program (no matter which one) will expect that you will have a good grasp of the professional direction you want to take.

Every MSW program values relevant volunteer or work experience and all highly rank Gpa as an important indicator of future success in the program.  It sounds like you have a solid gpa so that is good.  What I would suggest is that you start thinking long and hard about your goals.  Also, get as much volunteer experience as you possibly can.  Not only will it boost your chances, it will also help you figure out if this is really the field for you.  Many people think they want to be a social worker until they get their feet wet and realize that it isn't for them afterall.  It would be terrible to learn that you are in the wrong profession while in grad school. 

Regarding being shy and introverted---I dont think this will be a problem at all.  However, social work classes often require you to do role play.  If you are uncomfortable speaking in public, this may be a bit uncomfortable for you.  BUT, social work is also full of a lot of caring, understanding people who will encourage you to break out of your shell.  Dont let this hold you back!

I wish you the best of luck!

p.s. If you are concerned about your age, 30 isn't old at all and certainly not too late to make a career change! :)

I'm surprised by how many people are applying to Windsor this year. From the general looks at last year's forum there definitely doesn't seem to be as many. Poop :( Since I was banking on Windsor and it's my first choice...of course it would seem to be more competitive this year! 

I'm surprised by how many people are applying to Windsor this year. From the general looks at last year's forum there definitely doesn't seem to be as many. Poop :( Since I was banking on Windsor and it's my first choice...of course it would seem to be more competitive this year! 

Hey Beth,

Dont be discouraged! The people posting on this site do not accurately reflect the overall applicant pool applying to different schools.  For instance, I would say that there were less than 100 different people posting last year about Ontario schools, that is a fraction of the total number of students admitted.  Of those, most were applying to those in the GTA.  All it means is that this year more people have 'found' this site who applied to Windsor....it doesn't mean that there are more applicants in total. 

But if you are really concerned, you can always call the school and ask.

Hi there. I'm from New Brunswick and I'm applied to the MSW program at Dalhousie in Halifax as well as the MED in Counselling at the University of of New Brunswick. Dalhousie said they send out their letters mid Feb.

Does anyone know anything about people either themselves or someone they know who has applied  under the affirmative action policy? For my Dal application I qualified under their policy twice. Does it really do anything to increase your chances of acceptance?

Anyone....anyone...Bueller? lol :P

I applied to the MSW program at U of Victoria and realized later on that I made a couple of spelling errors. I suppose that my application will be put in the rejection pile. Has anyone heard about what is typically done in these situations?

Do you think it really matters what "kind" of academic reference I use for Carleton's BSW program? For my MSW application, I worked hard to get one of my sessional instructors for a professional ethics class to write a reference letter who has a MSW and is a registered social worker. However, she is not teaching at my university this semester and it would be a lot of work to get another reference from her. Do you think it's a big deal if I ask one of my thesis advisors to write one...who isn't at all connected to the social work field and doesn't know me THAT well? I took one course last semester that I guest lectured in regarding family and development. That prof is a psychology prof and may write me a letter...maybe I just answered my own question... :)

Hello everyone.

I've been following along with the discussion here, but never really felt the need to contribute.

I am currently completing my BSW at Laurentian University. I applied to McMaster and York (Advanced Standing) for Fall 2013. 

Today I received acceptance to McMaster's program. I was shocked because I didn't expect to hear for while. I haven't seen a lot of other people talking about Mac, but I am definitely relieved to have heard back already. It will likely be awhile waiting for York now. Best of luck to everyone waiting it out!

Hello everyone.

I've been following along with the discussion here, but never really felt the need to contribute.

I am currently completing my BSW at Laurentian University. I applied to McMaster and York (Advanced Standing) for Fall 2013. 

Today I received acceptance to McMaster's program. I was shocked because I didn't expect to hear for while. I haven't seen a lot of other people talking about Mac, but I am definitely relieved to have heard back already. It will likely be awhile waiting for York now. Best of luck to everyone waiting it out!

Congratulations, that's awesome! Thanks for posting. I dont think I've heard of people being notified this early here in Ontario.  Yes, regarding York if past years are any indication, you wont be finding out until sometime in June...

Congrats jpcnac! 

I was curious, does anyone know about Social Service Work Programs? I realize college programs are nothing like graduate school but it would provide me with experience in an organization, which I really want. It was my back up if I don't get accepted to a Masters program right away and I just found out I got accepted to an accelerated program today but not sure what to do about it because it starts in May and we don't exactly here about M.S.W. decisions until April-ish. 

I think my grades are competitive (I've consistently been in the A range for the last two years) but I don't think I have enough experience in human service organizations...next to nothing. I volunteered for about a year at two organizations and one wasn't really social work relevant. But... I'm not very confident about getting in for some reason.. however, that might just be my nature. 

Ahhhh :blink: