Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

OMG, you have such amazing experience. Now I can see why I didn't get into U of T and you were put on the waitlist. My background seems to pale in comparison. If the journal paper is new since your last application and some of the other things you mentioned, your application should really stand out compared to last year.

I agree with MSW13. It comes down to numbers and this program is in high demand. Sometimes when you are so close it may come down to pure and simple luck. Perhaps one or two of the committe members will be different this year and they will appreciate your experience more than last year's committee. It sounds like you've done all you can do that's in your control. At a certain point there isn't much more to do than to accept this, continue the great work you've been doing in the field, turn in another great application for next year and wait for your turn to come. With an extra year of experience, your application ranking is bound to be pushed up higher on the list the next time around. Best of luck next year!

That's the thing I'm really not sure what else to do. I currently work in eating disorders and (this is new since I submitted my application this year) I am coauthoring a paper with two social workers on stigma and anorexia. I am also speaking at an international conference on eating disorders later this year. I have also worked with the families of patients suffering from dementia and have worked with dementia patients themselves conducting art therapy groups. I have created a campaign to raise awareness about stigma and mental illness on college campuses. In my undergrad I was very involved in groups from a specific religious background. I have done outreach for postpartum depression. And I have spoken at a conference on stigma and mental illness in university.

So I am honestly not sure what else to do. I am unfortunately no longer able to volunteer overseas at this point in my life which I know would really help me stand out. If you have any other ideas please let me know! I would love any feedback.

Thank you for being so kind and consistent on here. I can tell how kind you are and how amazing you will be as a social worker.

Edited by jenste

OMG, you have such amazing experience. Now I can see why I didn't get into U of T and you were put on the waitlist. My background seems to pale in comparison. If the journal paper is new since your last application and some of the other things you mentioned, your application should really stand out compared to last year.

I agree with MSW13. It comes down to numbers and this program is in high demand. Sometimes when you are so close it may come down to pure and simple luck. Perhaps one or two of the committe members will be different this year and they will appreciate your experience more than last year's committee. It sounds like you've done all you can do that's in your control. At a certain point there isn't much more to do than to accept this, continue the great work you've been doing in the field, turn in another great application for next year and wait for your turn to come. With an extra year of experience, your application ranking is bound to be pushed up higher on the list the next time around. Best of luck next year!

Aww thank you so much. That is very kind of you. Yes the reality is there are so many incredible people applying. In still crossing my fingers for this week but if it doesn't work out I'm sure it will in the future. Congrats on Laurier!!!

That does sound like you did your best.  The only other thing you may want to look at is your references.  Did you feel that they were strong? Were the people who wrote them knowledgeable? If the answer is 'yes' and 'yes', then I cant imagine what else you could possibly do.  You haven't been sitting back this past year so you have some good things to add which will only strengthen your application.

That's actually the one thing I think can be improved upon. I was only working with my boss for 6 months when she wrote me my reference and this year she knows me a lot more and I'm sure will write me a better letter. In addition I had another letter from a social worker I am working with but I didn't know her too well either- and now I know her very well. So same thing. My final one was from my thesis prof so I will use him again. I'm sure that one was good.

Thank you for all your support and kindness!!!

• 3 weeks later...