NDSEG Fellowship 2012-2013

InquilineKea

I was given the "your application is still being considered for an award" email. I kind of lost hope after getting outright rejected for the NSF GRFP. I'm not sure whether I should start getting hopeful again, or if this is a waitlist that so many people are on that I probably won't get awarded in the end. Does anyone know if this sort of thing has ever happened before with regard to the NDSEG? In any case, I hope I get notified before April 15th, because this could definitely impact what school I choose to attend in the Fall.

Got the cryptic short list email as well. This is so frustrating. Got honorable mention for NSF GRFP and shortlisted here. I'm going nuts. Reject me or don't, quit messing with me and giving me goddamned pity awards!

My sentiments exactly.

I hate how they start the waitlist e-mail with 'We are pleased to inform you...'

Buildin' me up just to break me down.

seriously. the cashier at the cafe probably saw a very odd sequence of facial expressions right before taking my order.

I also got the waitlist email.

At first I was pretty excited about it, but now I'm starting to think it's just their form of an honorable mention. Regardless, it was nice of them to at least let us know we were close; there's always next year.

Edited by hungry

From NDSEG's facebook page in a response to a question...

"Unfortunately, we cannot provide a more specific update at this time but we can confirm additional awards will be made."

There's definitely more awards coming, so we all still stand a chance.

Just given the number of people on here alone that have gotten that e-mail (and on the NDSEG facebook), I don't think it's a waitlist. (there's only a total of 200 awards to give!) My guess would be that they are still waiting to hear back from one or more of the four defense departments. Rejections might have only been made for certain fields?

I'm hoping that they have at least narrowed down the field a bit. That's what I had initially assumed after reading the email. 

I called and talked to the nice lady.

Some categories of the 200 awards from particular type of applications have not been decided.

So, it would be helpful if we list what type of award we applied for.  I got the "Still be considered" e-mail and I applied for biosciences.

I don't think it means anything to my chances of success to get the E-mail.  I expect everyone who applied for biosciences got the same E-mail I did.

My only small hope is that NDSEG recommended 200 awards to DOD who then had each applicable division basically rubberstamp the award.  Biosciences "rubber stamping" hasn't come back yet, but other fields had so they wanted to go ahead and release what they could.  So maybe those of us with "congratulations you are still being considered" will be getting rewards.

So those of you that got results in any of the 3 categories (yes, no, and still waiting), what was your field you applied for?

Edited by FrankForum

Chemical engineering, under review. I know 2 other chem e's that are also under review. I'm already attending, so maybe that has something to do with it.

They could be deciding on current undergrads and current grad students in different rounds for certain fields...

Chemical engineering, under review. I know 2 other chem e's that are also under review. I'm already attending, so maybe that has something to do with it.

They could be deciding on current undergrads and current grad students in different rounds for certain fields...

I'm chemical engineering too, still being considered.

Perhaps we are speculating too much. Its out of our hands.

• Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
  • Biosciences
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Chemistry
  • Civil Engineering
  • Cognitive, Neural, and Behavioral Sciences
  • Computer and Computational Sciences
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Geosciences
  • Materials Science and Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
  • Oceanography
  • Physics

NDSEG Biosciences, Other (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013   3 Apr 2013
  • Not unexpected, but still a downer.
NDSEG Neuroscience, PhD (F13) Wait listed via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 A 3 Apr 2013
  • behavioral, cognitive, and neural sciences field of study
NDSEG Mechanical Engineering, PhD (F13) Wait listed via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 A 3 Apr 2013
  •  
NDSEG Engineering, Other (F13) Accepted via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013   3 Apr 2013
  • So happy to have my own funding!!
NDSEG Ocean Engineering, PhD (F13) Accepted via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 ♦ A 3 Apr 2013
  •  
NDSEG Neuroscience, PhD (F13) Wait listed via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 A 3 Apr 2013
  •  
NDSEG Chemistry, PhD (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 ♦ A 3 Apr 2013
  •  
NDSEG Chemical Engineering, PhD (S13) Rejected via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 A 3 Apr 2013
  •  
NDSEG Materials Science, PhD (F13) Accepted via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 A 3 Apr 2013
  •  
NDSEG Computer Science, Other (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 ♦ A 3 Apr 2013
  • One publication under review at top journal. Good research projects. From reputable state school. Oh well, it was a long shot (missing one recommendation letter). Good luck everyone else!
NDSEG Molecular Biosciences, Other (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 A 3 Apr 2013
  •  
NDSEG Materials Science, PhD (S13) Rejected via E-mail on 3 Apr 2013 ♦ A 3 Apr 2013

Looks like oceany something, chemistry, chemical engineering, computer science, and some biosciences have heard back.

Edited by neurogirl1

I also applied under biosciences.

Well with the facebook page also, that is seven biosciences out of seven with "still being considered"  I now feel comfortable that our "Congratulations!" Email doesn't mean anything, just that biosciences hasn't been decided.  :(

I got the "still being considered" e-mail and am also biosciences. I really hope you are right, FrankForum! It seems like there's an awful lot of us getting these e-mails though to have all gotten awards!

•  

Looks like oceany something, chemistry, chemical engineering, computer science, and some biosciences have heard back.

Well this just disproved my hypothesis!

Where did you get that info from?

Got the "still being considered" email. Applied to Materials Science. Currently attending. If that helps.

Got NSF GRFP so I'm not too concerned, but it would still be nice to know....