Write my own LOR?

jande48

It looks like I'm going to write my own letter of recommendation. :S (My advisor asked me to do it, and he said he would submit it.)

Any suggestions of what to write about? ... or more importantly, what to avoid?

btw, i'm applying to PhD programs in Environmental Geosciences and Energy Geoscience. Thanks!

I think this is a bad idea. People write in distinctive styles, and admissions committees will know what happened, and it will imply that your adviser didn't think highly enough of you to write his own stellar rec (even if that is not where he is coming from). Personally, I'd provide him with a detailed outline of what you'd like him to say, specific things to speak to (ability to do research and succeed in grad school) and ask him to take the 30 minutes to fill in the words around the ideas. Check out the applications sub-forum for specific things to go into the letter of rec. It depends on whether this is for school or fellowship apps, and what the programs you are applying for are particularly interested in (you can ask them!).

Edited by Usmivka