Help!!! Wanting to get into Chemical Engineering Grad Program

eric2242

Greeting,

I am current a junior and graduating in the Demcember, 2014 with a B.S. degree in Chemistry from West Virginia University. I want to get into the the field of Chemical Engineering but it is too late for me to change major since I don't want to spend any more time in undergrad (my parents are paying for my tuition). My current GPA is 3.1x (I know it is low) because I had a extremely bad semester last Spring and failed 2 of my classes (Biochemistry and Biology), but I got A's for all other classes for that semester. My GPA before that semester was close to 3.5. (I think my major GPA is higher than overall GPA) I realized I pretty much screw up everything now and I am biting my tongue this semester (2013 Fall) and retaking the biochemistry (cannot replace GPA) again and now I am at the top of the class (getting A's). I am also start researching in organic chemistry but the professor just let me work with his grad students and I am not doing any original research now. I still have a little more than a year 'till graduate. I have been researching grad school for a little bit but not a lot, so I am still clueless about the application process (and I will do more definitely). I sincerely hope for advice that what exactly I should do now to improve my chances to get into good graduate chemical engineering program (doesn't have to be Top 20).

Facts about me:

- current major: chemistry B.S.

- intend Grad program: chemical engineering (possibly the phd program)

- current GPA: 3.1x

- my major GPA is higher than the overall GPA

- fail biochemistry but intending to get an A this Fall

- I am an international student and speak pretty good English in comparison with the average international student I have met.

- I am from Hong Kong. Speak Cantonese>English> mandarin (ranked in fluency)

- just start doing research in organic lab this Fall (I am learning a lot), but not original research

- I am graduating in December 2012 (little more than one year until grad)

- I got A in (general chemistry/ Organic Chem II(A+)/ all organic labs/ physical chemistry 1&2&labs/ Calculus 3(A+)/ Speech class)

- I got B in (organic chem I/ organic structure determination)

- my math SAT is 790/800 (missed one question because I don't understand the question in English)

- I enjoy chemistry very much, and all kind of chemistry, so I pick the kind that I can make a better living.

- I do pretty good and enjoy Math, I got a 790/800 in SAT without practicing, I got a A+ in Calculus 3, and I was ranked number 9 in one of the math competition in the whole Texas.

- I read slow

- I type slow

- I think slow but thorough

- I do well in Speech class, I am the top speaker in American high school and college speech class that I took. And I enjoy doing it.

- I am studying harder than ever trying to do damage control on my GPA.

- I cannot afford Master program because I got no money

- I spend one year in a high school in Texas as an exchange student, than spend two years in a community college in Washington, than here in Morgantown for WVU.

- Although WVU is the number one party school, I only go to one party at the begining I was here and I don't feel I enjoy it so I have not party ever since

- I have never got drunk and I don't like people who do.

- My TOEFL iBT two years ago was 84. It should be better now.

- I am very shy and nervous around people, but it is getting better.

- I am the secretary of the Billiards Club this year.

I would like to answer any more detail about myself and I hope for useful comments and advice.

does the brand name of the graduate institute matter's to you? if not there are many universities throughout US where you can try for a graduate admit. I would suggest you to take up PhD because if you take of MS you will have study 4-5 pre-req courses in chemical engineering and then nearly 8-10 courses for MS and assume that you would want to get a thesis too.

I think you will have a good shot at many places if you willing to let go of the brand name tag. at the end of end, your work is important. i agree UCB/Caltech/MIT trumps Northeastern by miles and miles but then people from northeastern are qualified Chemical engineer who can apply to all the engineering jobs that aa MIT grad can apply. mess me if you want to discuss more.