Should I skip the MA and go straight for the PhD?

MyWorkIsDone

Hi everyone! I'm currently in my third year of undergrad with a Fine Art Photography major and a minor in art history. At this point I am very confident that I want to study history of photography for my grad degree, and I really do want to go for the PhD. Since I've decided this I thought it seemed logical to apply to programs that accept people straight from undergrad (without a MA). I have a high GPA, I'm in my school's Honors Program, I have a lot of teaching experience in art history, and I'm working hard on prepping for the GRE. However I really don't have any museum or gallery experience, which I'm obviously super concerned about. I do have a museum internship lined up in London for next fall semester, so I will definitely have at least one internship under my belt by the time I apply.

My question is, are these programs significantly more competitive than the Masters' programs, and do I have any shot of getting in at all?

Any other random advice regarding this decision would be appreciated as well! Thanks!

Yes-- my impression is that it's often quite a bit harder to get accepted at the PhD level, largely because most programs fund everybody they accept, where they may not fund their MA students. That's not the case across the board (I've had good luck being funded as a master's student), but it does increase the competition. One program I visited recently said that they had 150 applications for 5-6 spots last year at the PhD, 40ish more for MA candidates. Then again, I'm also finding out that many programs only knock a semester or so off of coursework for folks coming in with an MA, so while applying with one might give you a slight edge, it won't really help you out that much in the long run. If I were in your position, I'd consider applying to a mix of MA and PhD programs just to be safe, though it may not be necessary. Another factor is that it seems like many programs value the ability to shape the career of students coming straight from undergrad that they can see them the whole way through, so your situation certainly has some benefits! Good luck.

I would worry less about the competition/competitiveness, since that's not something anyone applying has any control over whatsoever. I would think specifically about what you want to do and where you want to go. People get accepted all the time into PhD programs without any museum experience, straight from undergrad, having had a different undergrad major, or any number of other things. You're still at least a year out from applying, right?

I agree that you might consider applying to a mix of MA/PhD programs, but I would also advise looking specifically at what seems right for you. Where are you looking to go with your career? There are many board on here which explore the question of "which degree is right for my career path". When I was applying, financial considerations were also pretty important (there are varying levels of funding for MAs and PhDs). Look into schools whose programs are strong in your interests. (Chicago and Brown both have great photo contingents).