Stanford '09

Hevan24

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Ph.D. Admit Day is on the 10th (Tuesday), but I'm arriving that weekend. I've never been to Stanford, or anywhere in No. Cal, which is sad since I'm a native So. Cal girl. I've been all over of the country, out of the country, even did my undergrad in NYC, yet I've never managed to make it to the northern part of my home state :D

What did you think of Stanford when you were last there (atmosphere, students, Palo Alto, etc)? It does look very beautiful from the photos and videos I've seen.

If you do attend, are planning to do student housing?

Hi, I was accepted to a PhD at Stanford too and will be visiting the week of the 9th to the 13th. Not sure exactly when, but most likely near the end of the week. I'm driving up from Southern California.

We don't have an admit day, but I am interested in student housing and possibly touring the campus if anyone has any relevant information.

Maybe your dept can help set something up for you? Like, check whether a current grad student might be willing to host you? If they're in student housing, you could get an inside view on that, plus it would be helpful to get a chance to talk to a grad student, period.

The UG admissions office does tours of campus all the time; I'm sure on the website you can find a schedule and make a reservation.

Yea, unfortunately I don't think they have anything formal and I'm paying out of pocket for travel and the hotel. But, I was able to connect with a grad student in my program who will give me a tour. I'm really interested in the graduate student housing. I'll look into the UG tour as well. Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Hi!

I'll be attending this fall.. studying towards MS/PhD in EE.

Never actually been out there, but I think it'll have to wait until I get there at this point.

Does anyone have any tips / thoughts on the graduate housing? It looks like I could live in Escondido or Lyman for engineering, but I guess EV is the bigger of the two... After being out for two years and living in a normal-sized apartment I am not looking forward to dorm-style living again.

Jeff

Does anyone have any tips / thoughts on the graduate housing? It looks like I could live in Escondido or Lyman for engineering, but I guess EV is the bigger of the two... After being out for two years and living in a normal-sized apartment I am not looking forward to dorm-style living again.

I don't know about Lyman, but EV is definitely not dorm-style at all...much more like living in an apartment. Actually most people who are disappointed in EV wish it were more like a dorm, so it may suit you fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still thinking about the PhD there - I can't make up my mind. I'm really split. You definitely can't go wrong with Stanford - congrats. Yea, I looked into it - you can get a studio for about $1000/month in graduate student housing.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought my husband and I might be able to afford a small house SOMEWHERE in the bay area. I must have been high. Now I'm actually considering married student on-campus housing. That is, if they allow dogs.

p.s. I am currently on the Sford campus and I have no idea how I got where I am right now because I lost sight of the clock tower. What a gorgeous campus though.

medianerd-

did you find out if any of the on-campus housing is dog-friendly? my impression when i was interviewing was that none of the apartments are, so i've been looking for somewhere off-campus, but that would make my life so much easier if they had someplace pet-friendly on campus. thanks!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use