FALL 2013 APPLICANTS!

Guest lefilsdhomme

If I attend UCL I would be taking Dr. Mills' Human and Nonhuman in Medieval Art and Dr. Loh's Early Modern Horror.  Conversely, at Oxford I would be in Dr. Johnson's module, Women, Art and Culture in Early Modern Europe.  Their electives all cover European 15-17th century art.  Thank you for your advice.  Mind if you to elaborate on why you changed your opinion?

Of course you can ask, and its simple: your interest.  Both are excellent schools with excellent programs.  When it comes down to it the courses at Oxford this year will better fit with your interests, and I am sure a wonderful advisor can be found at either school, even if it is not their main area of research.  I have an issue with Oxford's attitude of not working; if students were incapable of working their rears off and still achieving greatness they wouldnt have been admitted to Oxford in the first place.  I have been balancing two jobs to put myself through college, taken all of the supplemental courses required to train in textile conservation, as well as learning two languages, and I succeeded well enough that I have not been turned down by a school yet (though my hair has fallen out at midterm and final times lol).

However, that, as I said before, is personal opinion.  I dont like the idea that they only want students that can come with enough money to fund their studies and live in the UK ahead of time.  I would literally have to work about 6 years in my current job before I could come up with those savings, and I am sure this is the same for many students.  What matters here is the best program for you all politics and opinions aside.  I did also say in my other post that for anything pre-1800 Oxford has more options, the faculty at UCL are amazing, but also highly specialized. 

You didnt state in your original posting what your specialization is and with that information I would seriously think about Oxford.  I happen to like the more down to earth approach that UCL takes, but I suppose when you have been a great leader in education like Oxford has for as long as they have there are certain approaches that they are entitled to (and I mean that completely without sarcasm); they have earned the right to be overly selective.

My area of concentration is Western Art 1850 - circa 1940, with a concentration in textiles and their depiction, especially with regards to the Silk Road and Orientalism.  As such it makes sense that UCL would have more to offer me with two conservators on staff (Dr. Lange-Berndt and Dr. Richardson) and a module specifically on the East India Company, etc (Vision, Tourism, Imperialism with Dr. Eaton).

Oddly, I will also be in Dr. Loh's course as they cancelled the Art as Theory: Writing as Art course, but horror art is a huge hobby of mine, so I figured one course purely for fun and to expand my horizons would be great.  So I did actually choose a school that has fewer electives in my chosen specialization, but more possible tutors and courses that pique my interest.

In short, I just meant to balance out my previous comment.  With your interests I think both schools can lead you on equally exciting paths.  I do think the electives would be more applicable to your field at Oxford, but I think UCL has a lot to offer as well.  For me, UCL has it all; the right courses, mentors and down to earth attitude, but that might not be the same for everyone.  If I wanted to study Antiquities I would hands down choose Oxford or Cambridge...

Of course you can ask, and its simple: your interest.  Both are excellent schools with excellent programs.  When it comes down to it the courses at Oxford this year will better fit with your interests, and I am sure a wonderful advisor can be found at either school, even if it is not their main area of research.  I have an issue with Oxford's attitude of not working; if students were incapable of working their rears off and still achieving greatness they wouldnt have been admitted to Oxford in the first place.  I have been balancing two jobs to put myself through college, taken all of the supplemental courses required to train in textile conservation, as well as learning two languages, and I succeeded well enough that I have not been turned down by a school yet (though my hair has fallen out at midterm and final times lol).

However, that, as I said before, is personal opinion.  I dont like the idea that they only want students that can come with enough money to fund their studies and live in the UK ahead of time.  I would literally have to work about 6 years in my current job before I could come up with those savings, and I am sure this is the same for many students.  What matters here is the best program for you all politics and opinions aside.  I did also say in my other post that for anything pre-1800 Oxford has more options, the faculty at UCL are amazing, but also highly specialized. 

You didnt state in your original posting what your specialization is and with that information I would seriously think about Oxford.  I happen to like the more down to earth approach that UCL takes, but I suppose when you have been a great leader in education like Oxford has for as long as they have there are certain approaches that they are entitled to (and I mean that completely without sarcasm); they have earned the right to be overly selective.

My area of concentration is Western Art 1850 - circa 1940, with a concentration in textiles and their depiction, especially with regards to the Silk Road and Orientalism.  As such it makes sense that UCL would have more to offer me with two conservators on staff (Dr. Lange-Berndt and Dr. Richardson) and a module specifically on the East India Company, etc (Vision, Tourism, Imperialism with Dr. Eaton).

Oddly, I will also be in Dr. Loh's course as they cancelled the Art as Theory: Writing as Art course, but horror art is a huge hobby of mine, so I figured one course purely for fun and to expand my horizons would be great.  So I did actually choose a school that has fewer electives in my chosen specialization, but more possible tutors and courses that pique my interest.

In short, I just meant to balance out my previous comment.  With your interests I think both schools can lead you on equally exciting paths.  I do think the electives would be more applicable to your field at Oxford, but I think UCL has a lot to offer as well.  For me, UCL has it all; the right courses, mentors and down to earth attitude, but that might not be the same for everyone.  If I wanted to study Antiquities I would hands down choose Oxford or Cambridge...

Thank you for your extensive explanation.  It really helps a lot to have another person's opinion!  

My department here seems quite divided on which path I should take.  I intend to eventually work in the field of Art Law (entering law school following my masters and, perhaps, doctoral programme(s) in History of Art).  My intention is to, at either school, write an interdisciplinary dissertation incorporating art/legal theory (hence why I did not apply to Courtauld).  From that perspective, Oxford would probably look better to law schools.  However, I don't want to decide purely based on that. 

I agree that UCL's atmosphere is are wonderful and my department has a longstanding relationship with it.  Also, the location cannot be beat.  However, I do feel like I may be a slightly better fit for Oxford academically.  I have previously studied at Cambridge, so I know the Oxbridge system well...

While I entirely understand your beliefs regarding Oxford's no-work rules, I do not plan to work while completing my graduate studies.  As such, those rules have not been a consideration for me.  As long as I receive even partial funding from some source or another, I'll be able to handle the costs.

Edited by art_history

Thank you for your extensive explanation.  It really helps a lot to have another person's opinion!  

My department here seems quite divided on which path I should take.  I intend to eventually work in the field of Art Law (entering law school following my masters and, perhaps, doctoral programme(s) in History of Art).  My intention is to, at either school, write an interdisciplinary dissertation incorporating art/legal theory (hence why I did not apply to Courtauld).  From that perspective, Oxford would probably look better to law schools.  However, I don't want to decide purely based on that. 

I agree that UCL's atmosphere is are wonderful and my department has a longstanding relationship with it.  Also, the location cannot be beat.  However, I do feel like I may be a slightly better fit for Oxford academically.  I have previously studied at Cambridge, so I know the Oxbridge system well...

While I entirely understand your beliefs regarding Oxford's no-work rules, I do not plan to work while completing my graduate studies.  As such, those rules have not been a consideration for me.  As long as I receive even partial funding from some source or another, I'll be able to handle the costs.

Ok, knowing even more, if it were me, I would choose Oxford.  Even if Gandhi attended UCL's School of Law ;)  Seriously though, both schools have turned out many fine lawyers, but if you are thinking about a traditional field a traditional education might better serve your needs.  It is not only about looking better to law schools, but about the contacts you will make outside your department and the opportunities available.  UCL has a lot to offer and is also an old institution, but they are more modern, Oxford is more traditional, both have awesome benefits depending on your field, and in law tradition will get you much further.

Haha, the location is the one thing I hate about UCL.  The campus is lovely, and I do like London, but in small doses.  Im from San Diego, but have been living in Nuremberg for 11 years now.  I travel to London often, but I find the sheer mass of people and largeness of it to be a bit overwhelming after a few days.  Im planning on living out of the city and commuting.  I would almost prefer Oxford in that way.

I wish I could just study while Im in university.  Im glad that you dont have to make a decision based on whether or not you can work; a little part of me dies each time I hear about a student who got into the program they want and cant find funding or work while in school.  I guess it is common for many top notch schools to frown on it.  I dont mean to sound preachy, but I wish a great education could be open to anyone who could get in regardless of finances.

Either way you decide to go I wish you the best of luck, and if you choose UCL Ill see you in class :)

I've had nightmares of POIs calling me when I've been drinking.

"*hiccup*gosh, sure, I just luuuurrrrrbe art *hiccup* thanks for calling me, yo!"

Edited by Mary Queen of Scotch

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm having a really hard time deciding between the IFA and the Courtauld MA programs. My area of interest is Baroque/17th century art and I'd love to hear everybodys opinions about the reputation of both program! Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I'm having a really hard time deciding between the IFA and the Courtauld MA programs. My area of interest is Baroque/17th century art and I'd love to hear everybodys opinions about the reputation of both program! Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind that Jonathan Brown, probably the biggest name in your field at NYU, is starting to scale back his teaching.

Keep in mind that Jonathan Brown, probably the biggest name in your field at NYU, is starting to scale back his teaching.

Ekphrasis: not saying you are wrong, but from what I know he is currently advising multiple students (both MA and PhD). Maybe it's less than the past, but I believe he is still quite active. Though this area isn't my specialty, so maybe you have some insider knowledge.

• 5 years later...

Happy six year anniversary, everyone! I've been lurking on the boards for a while but I just scheduled my defense (!!) and wanted to log back in to check on how everyone is doing. Is anyone else from the 2013 GC cohort finishing this year?