NSF EAPSI 2013

Pauli

Is anyone applying to NSF East Asia and Pacific Summer Institutes for U.S. Graduate Students (EAPSI) fellowship program for Summer 2013?

Info:

http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5284

Deadline:

November 8, 2012

Synopsis:

NSF and selected foreign counterpart science and technology agencies sponsor international research institutes for US graduate students in seven East Asia and Pacific locations at times set by the counterpart agencies between June and August each year. These Summer Institutes (EAPSI) operate similarly and the research visits to a particular location take place at the same time. Although applicants apply individually to participate in a Summer Institute, awardees become part of the cohort for each location. Applicants must propose a location, host scientist, and a research project that is appropriate for the host site and duration of the international visit.

An EAPSI award provides U.S. graduate students in science, engineering, and education: 1) first-hand research experiences in Australia, China, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore or Taiwan; 2) an introduction to the science, science policy, and scientific infrastructure of the respective location; and 3) an orientation to the society, culture and language. It is expected that EAPSI awards will help students initiate professional relationships to enable future collaboration with foreign counterparts.

The NSF award includes participation in a pre-departure orientation, a summer stipend, and travel expenses to the research site. EAPSI partner agencies pay in-country living expenses during the Summer Institutes.

I started seriously considering the program too late this year, but I'm planning on trying next year. One of the stats that I had pointed out was that sometime in the last couple years, for 200 (?) or so awards there were something like 340 applicants - an absolutely insane funding rate.

Definitely sounds like an interesting program.

I was an EAPSI NZ fellow last year. Acceptance rates are 10-25% for English speaking countries, and 40-45% for non-English speaking countries. This is due to both higher demand and lower supply I believe for Australia, NZ, and Singapore compared to China, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan. They tell you this in the application decision info on fastlane, but I think applicants should know that before they apply.

Obviously close to the deadline, but does anyone know what to put for the data management plan? There doesn't seem to be any specific requirements with regards to the EAPSI, so I'm just going off the general NSF guidelines, and whatever I can find on the internet about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone know when they are going to start sending out tentative acceptance/ rejection notices?  I heard through the grapevine that it is this month (Feb).  Any previous fellows out there that can share how long it took to get their award notifications?

I was looking through the forum for last year. It appears that some received their tentative offers as early as mid Feb (2/16), spanning to as late as March. I would say if it is getting to the last week of February and you haven't heard anything then you should be able to call. They said that Carter Kimsey was nice and responsive, until things became very busy. Also, formal rejection offers were even more delayed.

The anticipation is making me nervous. Fingers crossed and good luck.

In the past, tentative offers for Japan seem to have gone out first.  If the applicant above received word that those for China were going out in early march, perhaps the schedule hasn't been set back much due to the deadline extension.  I am getting pretty nervous just waiting around now.  I applied for Japan.  I am sure glad I am not the only one just sitting around in anticipation :)

Good luck to everyone!

I was accepted to the Taiwan program last year and was notified in the first week of March.  My labmate was accepted to the New Zealand program that same year, and she received her confirmation in the middle of February.  FYI.

Thanks for the information Pauli.  I think the acceptances should follow the program dates (i.e. those locations which start earlier should arrive earlier, such as Australia (early June), than places like Taiwan (late June/early July).

Also: did your proposal status change at the same time? (On NSF website under Proposal Status)?

Also: did your proposal status change at the same time? (On NSF website under Proposal Status)?

Unfortunately, it wasn't immediately.  I didn't see the change until around pre-orientation at Washington, D.C later that spring.  According to the program coordinators for last year's program, the offer became guaranteed once the fellows attended the pre-orientation since that's when the program knew that funding was approved.

@gzahn: Keep us posted if you get a response.  Good luck.  From looking at the previous year's message board it seems like some of the offers (even from the same country) came out in waves with some people getting offers for Japan much later than others.  Perhaps they will still give you an offer so don't lose hope.  ;)  

@hokievt2010: Congrats!  Perhaps we'll see each other over there.