How can you tell when an interview went well or poorly?

DarwinAG

I had an interview today with a potential advisor. I am not sure if it went well or poorly. I feel as if I fumbled up a bit in my explanations of my research interests. But it went well when we started talking about their research.

Usually it's a good sign if you get lost in professional conversation during any interview. If you're in and out within 10 minutes, that's one of those definite bad signs. Though, interviews are a little funny in that you never know exactly what they're looking for- and the interviewer expects a lot of nervous energy.

I had one the most conversational interviews in my life, and didn't get the job. Then I had an interview where a boss had corrected the way I said I'd handle situation and I was offered the job right afterwards!

I'd say if the topic about research went well, that's a good sign. Especially as an adviser.

"How can you tell when an interview went well or poorly?"

When you get the offer, or not. ;)

But seriously, there's nothing you can do about it either way at this point so it's probably best to just put it out of your mind and relax :)

You're welcome. I'm joking around a bit, but grad school (and academia generally) is a huge process of waiting. You are constantly sending things and waiting to get evaluated. Being able to put things out of mind after they're out the door is a great skill to develop. (Second skill: Accepting criticism/feedback because, almost always, that's what you're waiting for.)

That's actually very good advice that I will take. I agonized over the interview for a good portion of the day, and it really did not have any utility.