Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2013

StructuralEngr88

We all know how stressful and tough it is for applying to grad school. So let's support each other throughout the applying process!! Any structural applicant out there?? Where you planning to apply/have applied? What are your stats in terms of

GPA, GRE scores, research experience, papers, contacts with professors?

I wish I could add to this but I am applying for M.S. in structural engineering a year from now so I will be checking it out. What have you got so far, and where will you be applying? I'm assuming since you made this thread you've probably already have your list of schools, GRE and whatnot's.

I guess I will start:

I am planning to apply to M.I.T,UIUC, Stanford, UCBerkeley,Cornell, U.Michigan, Penn. St., Northwestern, Lehigh, and Columbia for M.S & M.Eng

Overall GPA: 3.67/4.0

GRE SCORES: will take on 11/20

Experiences:

3 years in research

2.5 years as a TA mainly grading and office hours

2 summer internships + 1 year full time

1 honors thesis

• 2 months later...

Let's liven up this thread again!

I've only applied to 3 schools for a masters program: UW-Madison, UIUC, and UC-San Diego.

Overall GPA: 3.76/4.00

GRE: 160(V), 160(Q), 4.50

Experiences:

2 full time summer internships, one of which lead into the school year part time for the past 2 years

1 semester as a TA in structural analysis

1 semester of research

I haven't heard back from any of my schools yet...I'm getting pretty nervous since UIUC has already started accepting masters students, and I didn't get invited to visit the campus :/

Thread has a few views but no one is posting. Hopefully gains some traction this month.

CGPA: 3.77/4.00

GRE: 154 V, 160 Q, 4.00 AW

Experience:

• 1 year of industry experience
  • 2 summer internships
  • 2 years of undergraduate research

Schools: UIUC, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT and Cornell

Applied for MS/Meng programs. Haven't heard back from any of the schools yet but I'll try to update the thread if I hear back from anyone. Best of luck to everyone!

I am an international student. I applied to 10 schools....

Overall GPA: 3.6/4.0

GRE: 155V, 166Q, 3.0AW

TOEFL: 103

I have been admitted to the MS/PHD program of cornell, but decisions on funding will be made in mid-march. I heard that only a few( about 5%) applicants could get funding... Does anyone know any details about the program? If I failed to get funding, is it OK for me to terminate my study after MS?

• 2 weeks later...

I have not heard back from any of my schools yet. I have a feeling i am going to get rejected from UIUC. Couple people already posted their acceptance and UIUC's graduate recruiting weekend is in March.

Windsvon congrats on Cornell, great school but not so great location

I hope that's not the case, that was one of my top choices. Based on last year's results it looks like they send out responses in early march and onward. So it seems like the structural responses are a bit later in the process.

If anyone has heard back from UIUC, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thread has a few views but no one is posting. Hopefully gains some traction this month.

CGPA: 3.77/4.00

GRE: 154 V, 160 Q, 4.00 AW

Experience:

• 1 year of industry experience
  • 2 summer internships
  • 2 years of undergraduate research

Schools: UIUC, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT and Cornell

Applied for MS/Meng programs. Haven't heard back from any of the schools yet but I'll try to update the thread if I hear back from anyone. Best of luck to everyone!

Which school you applied for MS and MENG?

I suppose I'll contribute too.

GPA: 3.97/4.00

GRE: 164 V, 166 Q, 4.5 AW

Experiences:

• 1.5 years of research
  • Leadership role in engineering project team
  • No internship experience :(

Applying to the following programs (All Structural Engineering):

M.Eng: MIT, Cornell, Michigan

MS: Stanford, UC Berkeley, UT, UIUC

So far I've heard good news from Cornell and UT. Hoping to hear more of the same from the remaining schools.

Edited by Sunmaster14

is the  structural engg. program good at MIT. coz i couldn't see much new research in structural engg at MIT.

How is UCSD structural program?

UCSD has a pretty good program (I'm not sure what their rank is) though they focus on different things than most schools. Since they're so close to Boeing's facility, they do a lot of structural research of composites for aviation. UCSD also has a heavy amount of research in structural design though, with a focus in earthquake engineering.

I have not heard back from any of my schools yet. I have a feeling i am going to get rejected from UIUC. Couple people already posted their acceptance and UIUC's graduate recruiting weekend is in March.

Windsvon congrats on Cornell, great school but not so great location

UIUC graduate weekend for Civil and Environmental is actually this weekend, Feb 22-24

Tseng best of luck to you too!!

Sunmaster14 are you an international student? When did you heard back from Cornell?

I heard back from Cornell exactly a week ago, but it was an informal acceptance. I actually received the official acceptance today.

I am a domestic undergraduate student.

Also, in addition to UIUC, I know that UC Berkeley has sent out acceptances to M.S. as well, so I'm beginning to get a little worried about those two programs.

If anyone has applied to UCSD, their grad admissions office said they'll send out PhD decisions within the week and master's within 2 weeks. UIUC said most of their decisions are made in March and some in early April.

Hello!,

Does anyone heard about SUNY Buffalo admission results?

PS: If anyone has applied to the University of Washington, they said that they'll send out the Master's decisions in the next few weeks.

Hello everyone.

Has someone heard about Berkeley admissions? I know that student selecion is happening this week yet I have not received anything yet.

UIUC is another option and as the same as Berkeley, I know the commite has been selecting student from one week ago.

How did you guys found out which week schools do selection or sending out acceptance/rejection? I know most schools' admission website say between which month but not certain week

I sent an email to the Departments.