My GRE chemistry experience (Nov 2012, India)

ayankgp

I just came from my chemistry subject GRE test and would like to share the experience.

PREPARATION: I solved the old GRE papers : 1995, 2000 and 2006. These were actually most helpful. The level of questions became easier with time. The test I took was really similar to the 2006 paper. Apart from these I solved the REA GRE Chmistry Practice Book. Here the topics were quite similar but there were many errors.

My advice is to thoroughly study the 3 old papers as many times possible. The questions asked were the same concepts in different forms. Once done you can identify your weak areas and then study them from some source.

SOME QUESTIONS: The organic questions were fairly simple and were all from the same topics and reactions as in the old papers(aldol, grignard, markovnikoff addition, etc.). The physical chemistry questions also encompassed similar formulae and concepts as previous years(ionic strength, ionic equilibrium questions from Henderson-Hasselbach equation, neutralisation of weak acid and strong base), there was analytical questions(few) from gravimetry and reverse HPLC (simple and direct). There were many biochem questions (amino acids, function of enzymes, carbohydrates, proteins).

Some exact questions were:

1. Identify the alkaloid :

A. The one with Nitrogen in the aromatic ring

2. Which of the following will have highest density? ((Na,Al,Co,Si)

A. Co

3. Which group will have most elements in liquid state at 100 degree C and 1 bar pressure?

A. Alkali metals

4. end product of glycolysis?

A. pyruvic acid

5. NMR question to identify the compound from peaks

ADVICE: I prepared in less than 2 weeks. The main thing is to know the pattern and prepare all the topics from which questions have been asked in previous gre exams.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

For the question on highest density....just remember that Fe, Co, Ni have similar properties. Also Fe is much denser than most other group elements.

For the papers search GR9527, GR0027 and GR0627. They are available online if you search.

Hi... it was interesting reading about your experience and that was pretty sound advice! Could you share how much you scored on your Chemistry sub GRE?

I got 830 scaled score and a percentile of 83%.