Graduate GPA lower than Under, Any opinion?

deepwhiter

Hi, All

I am going to re-apply PhD program (for a top program) in medical physics of 2013 fall. but my current GPA is only 3.1 (basically B). However, I have two papers (not in medical physics, i do have M.S. in physics fields), two first-author national meeting presentations in medical physics. My undergraduate GPA is higher up to 3.5. I was wondering the odds to be admitted. Any input is welcome

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I see "Health Physics" and "Medical Physics" in here sometimes...I realize that members of this field and related professional organizations think of themselves as physicists first and health care workers second, but I think you'd have better luck in the life sciences forum. You may very well be doing interesting research in physics in its own right, but most MP or HP work seems to be focused more on medical applications and health care (at least based on my reading from the AAPM and website and wikipedia. I just haven't seen enough people who care about medical issues in the physical sciences forum, and suspect you would find more in common with applicants applying to similar medical science programs in the life sciences or professional programs threads--either that or it is time for you (HP prospectives collectively) to pick a single thread here and all glom on.

Edited by Usmivka

• 2 months later...

Hi, All

I am going to re-apply PhD program (for a top program) in medical physics of 2013 fall. but my current GPA is only 3.1 (basically B). However, I have two papers (not in medical physics, i do have M.S. in physics fields), two first-author national meeting presentations in medical physics. My undergraduate GPA is higher up to 3.5. I was wondering the odds to be admitted. Any input is welcome

Thank you

Are you currently in a PHD program? The way I read this is you have a 3.1 GPA most recently (MS program) and your UGPA is 3.5..is that correct? I would assume that they look at your most recent work and GPA as it is mot representative currently.. 

Why try to revive this dead thread three and a half months later? The original poster only made one post, and application season is over, so not only is the their question no longer pertinent (if it ever was in this forum, still not about a physical science), but it is most likely they will never even see your answer, which still doesn't get at what they wanted to know.

Edited by Usmivka

Why try to revive this dead thread three and a half months later? The original poster only made one post, and application season is over, so not only is the their question no longer pertinent (if it ever was in this forum, still not about a physical science), but it is most likely they will never even see your answer, which still doesn't get at what they wanted to know.

Thanks for the comment.