Chances in M.S. in EE

GutenTag

Hi there,

I am currently applying for M.S in EE, wireless communication field, Fall 2013. I picked MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, USC, UCLA, UCSD, Cornell, UT-Austin and UW.

I am attending UW and my cumulative GPA is 3.70/4.00, major GPA 3.74/4.00, GRE: Q:800(166) V:750(169) AW:3.0.

I've been doing research with professors,but no papers, no publications.

Any comments on school selection and chances of getting in are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, MIT doesn't have a MSEE program..?

You are right, its M.S required of students pursing a doctoral degree. I will try though. BTW, any comments on other schools?

Hi there,

I am currently applying for M.S in EE, wireless communication field, Fall 2013. I picked MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, USC, UCLA, UCSD, Cornell, UT-Austin and UW.

I am attending UW and my cumulative GPA is 3.70/4.00, major GPA 3.74/4.00, GRE: Q:800(166) V:750(169) AW:3.0.

I've been doing research with professors,but no papers, no publications.

Any comments on school selection and chances of getting in are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Your AW score is a bit weak, but then again, the AW part of the GRE is garbage anyways.

Write a research paper and send it in with your application as a writing sample.

The BIGGEST concern of these universities is "can this candidate do research and publish". That is their bread and butter for reputation. This is a great suggestion because it kills two birds with one stone: shows you can turn research into something publishable and shows that you can do the writing they'll require. And yes, the writing part of the GRE is garbage. There's a system to beat it if you know how though. Regardless, they'll ignore it if they see you can do what they want.

• 1 month later...

Note that MIT EE doesn't ask for GRE scores.  In my opinion the GRE is a poor reflection of your abilities, so I'd say that's awesome.

Thanks for the comment. Well, I hope the poor AW score won't affect too much.