Attention Public Policy/Affairs PhDs & Applicants!

PolyWonk

I'm not claiming it, but if they said interviews are all completed, I'll take that as a rejection as well since I haven't heard a thing from them.

Also saw the LBJ rejection on here...I've heard absolutely nothing from them, so I don't know what to think...good or bad?

I've been checking the FAQs for all the schools I applied to, a lot of them say they don't release results until mid-March...I don't know how I'll make it that long!

I'm not claiming it, but if they said interviews are all completed, I'll take that as a rejection as well since I haven't heard a thing from them.

Also saw the LBJ rejection on here...I've heard absolutely nothing from them, so I don't know what to think...good or bad?

I've been checking the FAQs for all the schools I applied to, a lot of them say they don't release results until mid-March...I don't know how I'll make it that long!

I also saw it is in mid-March, so that is kind of weird there was a rejection so soon... I wonder if it is even true because that is unlike anything I've heard about their admissions in the past.

The LBJ rejection was mine, so I can assure you, it's real  :rolleyes:  That smiley is one of assurance, not of joy. But it's clear they knew, as I did, that I was not the best fit with... I just really like their course list! A couple of their faculty would have been amazing to work with. But, alas, that dream is dead.

There is also an "University of Texas" acceptance to "Public Affairs, PhD" posted... I j it came on the 24th, even earlier than my rejection. So that person must fit there like a glove  :) 

The LBJ rejection was mine, so I can assure you, it's real  :rolleyes:  That smiley is one of assurance, not of joy. But it's clear they knew, as I did, that I was not the best fit with... I just really like their course list! A couple of their faculty would have been amazing to work with. But, alas, that dream is dead.

There is also an "University of Texas" acceptance to "Public Affairs, PhD" posted... I j it came on the 24th, even earlier than my rejection. So that person must fit there like a glove  :) 

Oh, didnt realize you were going for PhD and not MPAff. Regardless, I'm sorry to hear about that. Good luck in your other apps.

Thanks!! But my nerves finally took control, so I bought a bottle of wine to fight them off.

I didn't think I'd be affected by my friends in other disciplines heating back already... But it's driving me insane!

Edited by PolyWonk

Yeah checking the results database has become a manic habit. But all that checking does allow me to see when people heard last year, so if anyone is applying to the same schools you might find this list helpful:

WHEN PEOPLE GOT NOTIFICATION LAST YEAR:

Duke: 2/9 (tomorrow!)

Texas LBJ: 2/16 to 2/19

Michigan Ford: 2/20

Cal Goldman: early March (dates were pretty varied)

CMU Heinz: 3/4 to 3/15

Chicago Harris: 3/10 to 3/13

Harvard: 3/12 (snail mail)

Sorry Rand folks, I didn't check that one...

Edited by giants1012

I am looking into a PhD policy program with a concentration in energy policy.

I applied to the following:

Duke - Enviornmental Policy

CMU - Engineering and Public Policy

University of Maryland - Energy Policy

Georgia Tech - Energy Policy

University of Delaware - ENEP

My undergrad GPA sucked, it was a 2.84, I have a background in computer engineering from RPI specifically and I have a masters in industrial engineering from UPitt, my GPA was a bit better, ending with a 3.54. I have 5 years of work experience in the energy field. I hope they will over look my poor UG GPA since it was about 6 years ago. My top choice is CMU, I went for a visit in october. Maryland, Ga Tech, and CMU seem interested in what i want to research, but some of the professors I spoke with arent on the first round admissions committee.  SInce I hear Duke alread sent out interviews I guess I will chalk that up as a loss so far.

Yeah checking the results database has become a manic habit. But all that checking does allow me to see when people heard last year, so if anyone is applying to the same schools you might find this list helpful:

Great idea!! I just looked up the schools I applied to and it looks like I'll be hearing back throughout March.

Of course, this doesn't mean I won't continue to check my online application status every day...

Had a double rejection morning! Emails from both Duke and LSE. Wasn't expecting offers from either of them though, so I wasn't pinning my hopes on it.

Hope that the people who landed interviews with Duke got better news!

RAND just emailed me today to ask for verification of one of my degrees, and said they wanted it by tomorrow if possible, so I'm guessing their estimated decision date of Monday is accurate.

RAND just emailed me today to ask for verification of one of my degrees, and said they wanted it by tomorrow if possible, so I'm guessing their estimated decision date of Monday is accurate.

Just got the acceptance.

Rejected from Cornell's Science Technology and Society program.  It sounded like they were too historical anyway for my tastes, and not very policy-focused :P

Has anyone heard from Michigan (Ford)? Two people in the results section have noted that they were accepted to the Public Policy & Sociology Program there already (one 2/11 and one yesterday, 2/18). Ever since I saw the first one, I check for results way too often.

I've heard from Texas (yes, came by phone call on 1/20), USC (yes, by postal mail on 2/7), and Duke (no, 2/11, I didn't get an interview, so no surprise there).

Does anyone know when Washington (Evans School) notifies people? I know their email said mid-March, but it seems so late when you have to decide by April 15th.

Would also love to hear people's thoughts on deciding between places. (Any tips on social policy in these programs would be appreciated too!)

Hey AL2013,

I have only heard from Cornell (yes, by email on 2/11) and Duke (No, 2/11). I am still waiting for Chicago, WWS, GSPP, Ford, MIT, and HKS (which presumably is a rejection given that 2 people have already noted acceptances in the result section). 

With respect to the Ford School, I think that decisions are released at different times depending on which specialization you have picked. I applied for the Policy/Econ program, and judging from last years results, those decisions come out much later than the Policy/Sociology ones. And even for these different programs, it doesn't look like the school sends out all decisions at the same time. 

Has anyone heard from Michigan (Ford)? Two people in the results section have noted that they were accepted to the Public Policy & Sociology Program there already (one 2/11 and one yesterday, 2/18). Ever since I saw the first one, I check for results way too often.

I've heard from Texas (yes, came by phone call on 1/20), USC (yes, by postal mail on 2/7), and Duke (no, 2/11, I didn't get an interview, so no surprise there).

Does anyone know when Washington (Evans School) notifies people? I know their email said mid-March, but it seems so late when you have to decide by April 15th.

Would also love to hear people's thoughts on deciding between places. (Any tips on social policy in these programs would be appreciated too!)

I have also been checking Ford nonstop since I saw those PP&Soc results. I'm PP&Econ and haven't heard anything yet, but based on last year's results I'm hoping to hear any day now.

I haven't heard anything from Texas or Harvard, and I've seen that accepted people have heard from both of those already I'm assuming that they are rejections. Especially since Texas made decisions a full month ago now...

As far as choosing between places, I think that nothing beats going and meeting your potential faculty advisor. I recently did a school visit and met mine, and her enthusiasm for my potential topic really excited me for that program. I've heard a lot about how the course of your research is really dependent on the attention/criticism you can get from your advisor.

It does look like Michigan should come out any day now...hopefully soon! I applied to PP&Soc, so it's especially driving me crazy. I don't expect to get in anyway, but knowing it was a rejection would be helpful too.

I got a phone call from Texas first, but the decision posted in the online system 1/23 (I got an email when that showed up). The PhD program adviser did tell me they were trying to get all decisions out really early, but maybe there are some faculty members that are slower. Clearly MI Ford doesn't send out all decisions at once.

I've heard similar things on visits with the adviser, although it's unclear to me if the person they pair you with at your acceptance remains your adviser throughout the process. But perhaps that will be more clear when I have my first visit next week.

Anyway, happy to hear from others in this process! Hopefully we all get more decisions (and good news!) soon!

Not sure if anyone else applied to Maryland, but they contacted me for an interview today (saying they wanted to make sure Maryland was the appropriate fit for me, so I don't know that they do this regularly).  I'm guessing decisions will be out soon. 

Into George Mason...  though I'm under the impression that their PhD is more of a professional one, given the envelope of stuff they sent me.

Not sure if anyone else applied to Maryland, but they contacted me for an interview today (saying they wanted to make sure Maryland was the appropriate fit for me, so I don't know that they do this regularly).  I'm guessing decisions will be out soon. 

I haven't heard anything directly from MD, but agree decisions will probably be out soon. The professor who has been helping me in the application process wrote me an email yesterday saying that I shouldn't worry if I don't get in, because he thought they were worried they couldn't offer me what I needed. He is friends with a professor there who he had spoken to about my application, so I assume that is where the word came from. (I also thought MD was probably not the right fit for me, so it's not surprising.) So this plus tmj143's call for an interview suggests word will be out soon. So I second that.

I see alot of people are getting acceptances into marylands masters in public policy program. From what I hear they notify PhD students after they are done with masters students. So far I have been rejected from duke, not to sad since it was expected kinda.

Has anyone heard back from the PAM program at Cornell yet ? I have seen some posts on the results page but have heard nothing myself.  

I got an unofficial acceptance on 2/11, and received the official acceptance and funding information this morning.