Attention Public Policy/Affairs PhDs & Applicants!

PolyWonk

I am still waiting on Evans and Harris.

Interestingly, someone from UW looked at my LinkedIn profile a couple of weeks ago. I don´t know who because I don´t have an account that allows me to see that but I am hopeful that it means something good. Has anyone else noticed that on LlinkedIn?

Interestingly, someone from UW looked at my LinkedIn profile a couple of weeks ago. I don´t know who because I don´t have an account that allows me to see that but I am hopeful that it means something good. Has anyone else noticed that on LlinkedIn?

Did LinkedIn tell you they were from UW?

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I might ask a related question I had in this thread:

Does anyone know about the possibility of turning an MPP into a PhD? I was speaking to a colleague of mine (who is a PhD) about my applications to MPP/MPA programs, and she was encouraging me to eventually peruse a PhD. Her specialty is a different area, so she's not entirely familiar with the public policy realm, but our conversation got me thinking. Once I get an MPP degree, what would the process to pursue a PhD in a related field be like?

Thanks for your time.

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I might ask a related question I had in this thread:

Does anyone know about the possibility of turning an MPP into a PhD? I was speaking to a colleague of mine (who is a PhD) about my applications to MPP/MPA programs, and she was encouraging me to eventually peruse a PhD. Her specialty is a different area, so she's not entirely familiar with the public policy realm, but our conversation got me thinking. Once I get an MPP degree, what would the process to pursue a PhD in a related field be like?

Thanks for your time.

Hi there. I'm a first-year PhD student in public policy.

I will be obtaining an MPP once I finish my field exams en route to my PhD, but I applied to my PhD program directly. Several of my fellow PhD students already have MPP or MPA degrees from other programs, but they have not been able to waive their core PhD requirements. Instead, they've chosen to take all of the core classes at the doctoral level -- so some material is repetitive, but a lot of it is taught at a higher level -- or they've opted to take a few PhD classes from other departments on campus (such as the economics department).

If you would like to work toward a PhD in public policy, you would want to apply to PhD programs directly after finishing your MPP. That means more time spent in school, but there are benefits to getting the MPP first; it would show admissions committees that you're serious about public policy (especially if you do very well in the MPP program) AND it would give you a good amount of background heading into a PhD program.

I hope that is helpful!

Thanks for your time.

Yes, you can do a PhD after a MPP.  I finished my MSW and MPA last year and am now applying to Public Affairs and Public Policy programs. So far I have been admitted to 2 public affairs programs. Hopefully Evans will let us know their decisions soon... I also know other MPPs who are getting their PhDs currently.

Make the most of your MPP by getting good grades, make connections with your professors, and get a research assistant position.  Do a couple quantitative analysis electives if possible.

I would make sure that you like research before applying for a PhD, a research assistant position would help you figure that out quickly. During your MPP, work on developing your research interests so you have an area you want to pursue as a PhD student. Having a mix of recommendations from professors you have worked with and had as instructors is a good strategy for applications, professors and associate professors. Research programs that are doing the research you are interested in, program fit is a huge factor in acceptance.  You are going to be working for the program for 4-7 years depending on how long the dissertation takes you, so you want a good fit.  

Did LinkedIn tell you they were from UW?

Yes, LinkedIn has a "who's viewed your profile" section. You can see who it was as long as that person doesn't have an anonymous profile, which whoever viewed mine does. But, LinkedIn will tell you where they work, where they are at, what type of a job they have, etc. That's how I know it was someone from UW. I know nobody at UW or Seattle so I'm assuming it's somehow associated with my application.

Yes, LinkedIn has a "who's viewed your profile" section. You can see who it was as long as that person doesn't have an anonymous profile, which whoever viewed mine does. But, LinkedIn will tell you where they work, where they are at, what type of a job they have, etc. That's how I know it was someone from UW. I know nobody at UW or Seattle so I'm assuming it's somehow associated with my application.

Well not I have another site to obsessively check ;-)

Hi, everyone. Congrats!

I applied without any work experience...but got accepted(less hopeful about $$$ scenario..)

Did any of u guys get full tuition coverage(or similar to that amount)? If so, can I ask how many years of work experience you had?

Thanks!

Anyone heard from GWU for the PPA PhD?  I saw a few rejections go up on Friday and now I'm going slightly batty overanalyzing whether I should take that to mean I passed a first round of cuts or what.

I never got a LinkedIn viewer from UW, but that sounds like a good sign for ENMC! A handful of rejections were posted on the results board, but no acceptances -- has anyone heard good news from Evans?

I never got a LinkedIn viewer from UW, but that sounds like a good sign for ENMC! A handful of rejections were posted on the results board, but no acceptances -- has anyone heard good news from Evans?

I have only seen MPP and MPA acceptances and rejections.  I am betting we don't get word until after March 14th.  

EDIT: 3 PhD rejections via email posted Feb 28th.  I checked my email, spam folder, and application.  There has been no contact from UW and my application status has not changed. 

Edited by WhatAmIDoingNow

Anyone heard from GWU for the PPA PhD?  I saw a few rejections go up on Friday and now I'm going slightly batty overanalyzing whether I should take that to mean I passed a first round of cuts or what.

I would take that as a good sign. No news is good news when a program sends rejections first. 

I have only seen MPP and MPA acceptances and rejections. I am betting we don't get word until after March 14th.

EDIT: 3 PhD rejections via email posted Feb 28th. I checked my email, spam folder, and application. There has been no contact from UW and my application status has not changed.

Four rejections on Feb. 28! But no acceptances posted. It seems strange to hand out a bunch of rejections but no acceptances. I wonder if acceptances did go out, but weren't gradcafe users -- and we're both sitting on the waitlist.

Four rejections on Feb. 28! But no acceptances posted. It seems strange to hand out a bunch of rejections but no acceptances. I wonder if acceptances did go out, but weren't gradcafe users -- and we're both sitting on the waitlist.

I wonder if they didn't meet basic criteria of a first round screen, or UW hasn't gotten to ours yet...

Who is still waiting? Some of these schools need to send out their decisions..NOW.

Jesus I'm so tired of waiting. 

Has anyone applying to CMU Heinz or NYU Wagner heard from the programs?

Seriously! Especially since relocating takes time and planning. My summer and fall calendars are on hold, because I literally don't know where I will be until these hold outs decide. Each school has completely different logistics for me to relocate. I have weddings and family events that I can't commit to or decline, because I don't know where I will be.

Evans, if you are going to reject Or accept us, please inform ASAP. These notices are not earlier than last years' notices.

Hi, guys, wanted to ask about the reputation of MPP programs 

USC (as far as I know, this school ranks the highest among the four in public policy) offered me half-tuition scholarship which still ends up with about 20K/yr.
Duke Sanford School scholarship + assistantship = 22K/yr
Cornell - scholarship =21K/yr. 

And today, Uni. of Minnesota Humphrey School offered me 7K/yr.

The only thing I am most worried about is the reputation of each school. 

So is it true that the ranking of each program matters more than the reputation of the school? (USC->Minnesota=Duke->Cornell is the current ranking, but this may be slightly wrong)

I was pretty sure that was the case but in recent weeks I've read that Cornell and Duke will be an advantage to getting a job in the US. 
To be honest, I am kind of afraid I'll be stuck in Minnesota forever.

I want to get your advice on how employers in the US general (it's very broad, I apologize) react to the reputation of universities and how that will affect my career.

I also want to get some advice on anything, ANYTHING on graduate schools, jobs related to policy, or any of the universities above. 

Hi, guys, wanted to ask about the reputation of MPP programs 

USC (as far as I know, this school ranks the highest among the four in public policy) offered me half-tuition scholarship which still ends up with about 20K/yr.
Duke Sanford School scholarship + assistantship = 22K/yr
Cornell - scholarship =21K/yr. 

And today, Uni. of Minnesota Humphrey School offered me 7K/yr.

The only thing I am most worried about is the reputation of each school. 

So is it true that the ranking of each program matters more than the reputation of the school? (USC->Minnesota=Duke->Cornell is the current ranking, but this may be slightly wrong)

I was pretty sure that was the case but in recent weeks I've read that Cornell and Duke will be an advantage to getting a job in the US. 
To be honest, I am kind of afraid I'll be stuck in Minnesota forever.

I want to get your advice on how employers in the US general (it's very broad, I apologize) react to the reputation of universities and how that will affect my career.

I also want to get some advice on anything, ANYTHING on graduate schools, jobs related to policy, or any of the universities above. 

What do you want to do with your degree?  And where do you want to work when you get your degree?  Honestly, I would care more about reputation and cost to attend, rather than US World News and Princeton Review rankings. You can do poorly or you can excel in top ranked and bottom ranked programs.  I wasn't impressed with USC, Cornell, and Duke for what I want to do, but they have their strengths in certain areas. Each program has its own specialization and expertise.  If you want to study policy implementation or international policy, Humphrey has courses and faculty that specialize in implementation studies and the Humphrey has a strong international presence. If you want to study social and urban policy, USC has some really cool projects and faculty working in that area.  Look at what the faculty are doing at the schools and the classes that you can take.  I only looked at those schools for the PhD programs, not the MPP programs.   Of your list, I only applied to the Humphrey, so I only know about their MPP program and the faculty hold their graduate students in a much higher regard than I have seen at other programs I looked at and have worked with. 

While $22K sounds like a lot of funding, if the tuition, fees, and housing costs $55K per year, that is more than my MPA cost in total at the state university that I attended. I would weigh the costs.

Are you from Minnesota? I don't really understand why someone would be afraid that the University of Minnesota would limit their ability to work outside of Minnesota.

Edit: That being said, I do know that certain Western states are more difficult to get work in if you attended an Eastern private liberal arts college for undergrad. But with an MPP, I don't think it would be a problem. 

Edited by WhatAmIDoingNow

Yeah, CMU seems good for science policy-- I ended up applying to their engineering and public policy department (it was really confusing, as it looked like there were 4 departments you could apply to science policy through), and got in last week.  

Also interviewing with RAND today, though that does seem like they contact everyone who's near an alum/current person working with RAND (my interviewer is RAND faculty who is off-site).

I agree about CMU being confusing! 

I got into the Heinz public policy PhD program a couple of weeks ago too. Are you attending the recruitment visit next week?

Edited by -hermes-

I agree about CMU being confusing! 

I got into the Heinz public policy PhD program a couple of weeks ago too. Are you attending the recruitment visit next week?

hmmm...

~hermes~...I think you replied to a post written two years ago :(

I applied to Heinz/Tepper's joint PhD program in economics and public policy. 

We could apply in two ways: either through Heinz or through Tepper. Tepper's side shows both rejects and acceptances for the joint phd program.

Heinz's side doesn't show any..... I hope this means I still have some hope? lol...don't know. Probably not :P 

hmmm...

~hermes~...I think you replied to a post written two years ago :(

I applied to Heinz/Tepper's joint PhD program in economics and public policy. 

We could apply in two ways: either through Heinz or through Tepper. Tepper's side shows both rejects and acceptances for the joint phd program.

Heinz's side doesn't show any..... I hope this means I still have some hope? lol...don't know. Probably not :P

Oh whoops, you're right! It's odd that there's barely any activity on gradcafe about Heinz's PhD program -- or actually about public policy PhDs in general. :/ 

Oh whoops, you're right! It's odd that there's barely any activity on gradcafe about Heinz's PhD program -- or actually about public policy PhDs in general. :/ 

Especially when we consider that there are 3 weeks left until April 15th.  There is not much time for visits when people do start receiving admissions, if these programs have not been notifying people of acceptances.  

Especially when we consider that there are 3 weeks left until April 15th.  There is not much time for visits when people do start receiving admissions, if these programs have not been notifying people of acceptances.  

Yeah...

I wish all schools get back to us before March 15th so that we have at least a month to make a decision.

Well...hopefully all schools will notify their applicants before April. I know Wagner's decisions are coming out at the end of this week (according to their timetable listed on their website). 

By the way, has anyone heard from Chicago today?

They rejected my phd app a couple weeks ago, and just got back to me for MACRM. (It's a new master's program Chicago is offering) I think I checked the box in my application that says 'yes re-use my app for the MACRM admission if I don't get admitted to the phd program.' I am not all too happy about the admission they just gave me. Sweet. They want me to get a second master...

Edited by zworld707