Thesis extract always acceptable?

fishsauce

I'm currently applying to history programs, and I want to send a writing sample that shows my highest capabilities as a researcher. As it stands, my thesis is far superior to anything I have written as a term paper. During my MA coursework, I was only beginning to become accustomed to the use of the foreign languages I have since been using for my primary source research, and mainly made use of English sources and English translations. By contrast, my thesis contains references to a much wider variety of primary and secondary sources in both English and Thai.

I've noticed that some departments specifically list thesis extracts as an acceptable and even ideal form of the writing sample, but others are more ambiguous. So, I'd like to know if thesis extracts are always acceptable unless otherwise stated, or if some departments will require me to submit a complete paper with a beginning, middle, and end?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I think a thesis excerpt is fine and probably preferable to a full paper if it demonstrates a better level of writing and research. Unless a school specifically asks for a full paper, I'd choose the sample that best showcases my abilities - the thesis. There are two things to do to improve on just sending an excerpt. The first is to have a summary of the rest of the thesis, to help situate the excerpt in the context of the thesis. The other is to make the whole thesis available to the adcom - either send the whole thing with an indication of which pages to read (ask about this option, some might not appreciate it if you send a 50-page paper when the limit was 15), or put the whole thing online and list the link prominently in your writing sample.

• 4 weeks later...

I think a thesis excerpt is fine and probably preferable to a full paper if it demonstrates a better level of writing and research. Unless a school specifically asks for a full paper, I'd choose the sample that best showcases my abilities - the thesis. There are two things to do to improve on just sending an excerpt. The first is to have a summary of the rest of the thesis, to help situate the excerpt in the context of the thesis. The other is to make the whole thesis available to the adcom - either send the whole thing with an indication of which pages to read (ask about this option, some might not appreciate it if you send a 50-page paper when the limit was 15), or put the whole thing online and list the link prominently in your writing sample.

I agree completely.

I would also simply ask the programs which of these options they would prefer.