Online programs?

Catlovers141

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are there any other MSW programs online that anyone knows of? I was looking into USC's program but the price tag attached to it seems absurd ($84,000 roughly for the 2 years). Many of the above mentioned Online MSW offerings require living in-state or in a certain "range" which really limits many of them as options.

Does anyone have experience with Saint Leo University MSW online program? I was looking into this one but they are in "candidacy" stage for accreditation. Any advice about this?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the email reply I got from an enrollment counselor at St Leo university: "In the next few months the CSWE Board will vote yes or no to fully accredit us. A group of CSWE commissioners came last month to complete the final part of our Candidacy status, they have made recommendations to the Board to vote yes. This June 2013 is when we will find out"

Edited by FLgrad

I found Edinboro University (Pennsylvania) to be a really affordable online MSW that is CSWE accredited.  BU & USC also have strong programs.  You can use Income Based Repayment to reduce the cost for you when you repay your student loans (USC is just outrageous).  Fordham has geographic restrictions (I wish they didn't!) and some of the other programs do too.  You also have to look at how they conduct their field placements.  Some schools, like University of New England, require you to find your own field, whereas places like USC & BU will find it for you.  Depends on what you like.  Also, some schools like University of North Dakota have a big synchronous component.  I think it's 3 days a week, which can be tough for a working adult.

The online programs have really expanded and some of them are truly robust.  I've heard the acceptance rates can either mimic the in-seat or be tougher because of competition.  Sometimes people who aren't really qualified apply for online because they think it's easier.  Most are not accepted but admissions offices still have to process their applications.  Bottom line is that I think online is a truly viable option for learning, even in a people-heavy discipline like social work.  The synchronous portion is crucial, you do your field locally, and the academics are the same.  Good luck!  I'm applying to three online programs (of the five I applied to)  Haven't heard anything yet.

Thank you for the replies. I looked up the Edinboro University and that does sound like a good choice for me. I would be out of state but there is no required on-campus visit. Plus I do not see a requirement for recommendations from college professors, only a professional resume and personal statement. The tuiitions looks like it would be around $36,000 for out of state.

Does anyone know how presentations are done in an online program?  From what I researched it seems that doing individual presentations are part of an MSW. If so, does anyone know how this is done in online MSW programs?  By webcam perhaps?

Also, I just noticed that the MSW in Edinboro is not "clinical" social work. This may not be what I am looking for in that case.

Edited by FLgrad

I just called for info to Edinboro and it is a general MSW with a family and children concentration so it would be okay. I am currently doing research on the other online programs. Many of them have high tuitions. If anyone else has found programs that are under $40,000 please let me know. thanks!

Hello fellow online MSWers!

After extensive research into both online and Washington, DC-area MSW programs, Boston University's online MSW came out on top for me. Luckily, I was accepted, and will be joining the Summer 2013 cohort.

I had reservations about doing an MSW online, but I became convinced that there are some solid online programs out there. BU is priced very competitively, particularly for a Washington, DC resident who does not have any options for in-state tuition for an MSW program (Catholic and Howard are both private schools).

I second the upthread caution about programs who leave it up to the student to arrange his/her own field placements. 

USC's Virtual Academic Center tuition is (I think) $88,000 for the program.  (I KNOW!)  Their delivery method is cohort with synchronous (webcam based) interaction for a lively exchange of ideas.  Attendance is required.  They will help you find your field - basically arrange it for you.

BU is just around $40K and also has a weekly synchronous component (webcam, etc).  I am frustrated by their deadlines, as my application can't be considered until the summer because I am receiving my bachelor's degree on May 11th and this somehow does not jibe with their deadline to have a conferred degree.  apparently, they do not like to offer admission contingent upon degree conferral like most other programs.

Edinboro uses Desire to Learn as a learning platform and is the most affordable I've found.  I don't know about a synchronous component, but I would assume they have one.  I know they make students find their own field, but will assist.  

A little more tuition info for some online programs:

Virginia Commonwealth University is ~$71K out-of-state tuition and requires some on-campus visits. The program takes 4 years.

University of North Dakota is ~$30K (onliners get in-state tuition) and has some synchronous components and two 5-6 day campus visits. The program is 3 years.

A little more tuition info for some online programs:

Virginia Commonwealth University is ~$71K out-of-state tuition and requires some on-campus visits. The program takes 4 years.

University of North Dakota is ~$30K (onliners get in-state tuition) and has some synchronous components and two 5-6 day campus visits. The program is 3 years.

University of North Dakota requires 2-3 days per WEEK of synchronous (class time) interaction.  It is scheduled and it can be tough to fit in.

University of New England has been at this a while.  Their online MSW is about $55K.  There are synchronous components and you also do (I think it's weekly) recorded check ins - basically you record a video with your webcam and upload it for other students to view.  Field is on your OWN, they will try to help but you have to find it and get it approved.

http://mastersinsocialwork.une.edu/online-msw-degree-faqs/

The only schools I'm posting (or considering) are ones that are CSWE accredited, and UNE is.

Fordham University also offers its well rated online MSW, but there are geographic restrictions.  You must live at least 50 miles from a Fordham campus, AND within the states of NY, NJ, or CT.  Tuition is $750 per CH plus fees.  There is a synchronous component and (I believe) there are visits to campus that are required a few times during the program.  

http://www.fordham.edu/academics/colleges__graduate_s/graduate__profession/social_service/master_of_social_wor/online_msw_program/index.asp

Saint Leo University: The M.S.W. program is only available to students who are residents and physically living in the states of Florida, Georgia and Virginia. Classes are attended by via webcam and presented online, which allows for face-to-face interaction in the convenience of your own home. Students will need to be available for normal daytime work hours for internships, and to attend one weekend seminar on the University campus in the summer. The full-time, two-year, 63-credit M.S.W. is also available as an accelerated one-year program for students who have already complete a B.S.W. degree from a CSWE-accredited program within the last five years, as well as a three-year program for student who cannot meet the curriculum course outline of the two-year program.

Tuition is $403 per credit hour.

Regarding candidacy, I received an email from an enrollment counselor there who said, "In the next few months the CSWE Board will vote yes or no to fully accredit us. A group of CSWE commissioners came last month to complete the final part of our Candidacy status, they have made recommendations to the Board to vote yes. This June 2013 is when we will find out".

I can't believe the price of some of these institutions!!  I'm in shock!  I would advise not to get into debt for a program, in an amount that will be larger than what you expect to make in a year.  Even better, it should be way less than that.  Again, I know most of us will have to go into some debt, but just make sure you don't get the degree from USC, and then live in say Arkansas where the medican income for an LCSW is $43,000.   Ugh.  I know some of you have bigger and more prestigious plans, "fancy" as socialworkphd calls them :) but please consider this when thinking about a program.

I just... I think I need to go weep for the state of our education.  That being said, the Saint Leo University program isn't that outrageously priced hehe.   It's a little more than attending a state university campus in person, on campus in Florida, but not outrageously so.

• 2 months later...

Online courses and programs are the best. These programs are full of convenience and are economical. I will refer you to UK Open College because they are offering wide range of online courses at economical fees. There are many pros and one of them is that you can study from any where you want to and at any time. Hope this will help you.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a truly affordable online option.  That said, I haven't found a truly affordable local option with the exception of one school (that I didn't apply to) and it would require at least a 60 minute commute each way on a good day.  Edinboro was the cheapest online option but it is not a 'general' MSW or a clinical one.  I think the cheapest clinical one was probably BU and that wasn't cheap.  

Know that online classes tend to require a lot more writing than an in-seat class.  And every program will require some amount of scheduled time in front of the computer.  I find three days per week (particularly when we are likely doing 2 days per week in field) to be excessive, but most programs require 1-2 times per week.  

• 2 weeks later...

Saint Leo already went up to $422 per credit hour. I am in application status right now with them and I am anxiously awaiting an announcement of their final accreditation which is supposed to be granted this month (June). I will let you know as soon as I find out. If they don't get the accreditation I have to have a plan B and I don't have too many other choices because the other online programs are much more expensive and the regular schools would be quite a commute for me.

• 4 months later...

I am interested in pursuing an MSW online as well. I live in NC, have two young children, and work full-time (already in social services). I realize I may not be able to continue to work full-time once school ramps up (especially with internships/field placements) but I'd like to work as much as I can for as long as I can. Honestly, I've been debating this whole plan for a few years now. Like someone mentioned, I hesitate to take out $34-40k more in loans (I already have that much still owed from my BS! Long, stupid story) when the pay for an MSW is not expected to be that much... and as a "lower ranked" social services employee already (case manager) I already earn close to $40k so I would not be pleased to put in a lot of grad school work and not be able to find a job that pays much more than I already make. BUT I do like the field and want to continue in it, just not stay the course I'm on, and social work is a logical path to follow. I can't figure out if it makes sense, though, really. ANYWAY, I have read and read and researched so much into most of these schools and so far I've narrowed it down to University of Louisville and Edinboro University. Still haven't made up my mind 100% on whether I'm going to go for it, though! 

• 2 months later...

I live in California and have looked at all of the programs. I am a mother of three young children under the age of five and work part time at a non profit family resource vented associated with our county's Regional Center which served individuals with disabilities throughout the entire lifespan. My work provides parent to parent support and resources to the individuals served and their family. My first daughter had a chromosome abnormality and was considered medically fragile. We spent most of her life in and out of Children's Hospital Low Angeles. She is my inspiration and I would like to work with families in a hospital setting as a Social Worker. USC would be my dream school because it has the perfect program for my interests however I can not afford that student debt after I graduate. My husband is much older than me and plans to retire in about five years. About the time I will graduate with my MSW. The CSUSB program is fully on line and accredited by the State of California however beyond their website I have found very little information on their program. Their on line option is three years and $36,000. I plan to apply next fall as I will graduate with my BS in Psychology inspiring 2015. I live in Ventura County and have been meeting more people in the field of Social Work. They have told me that the jobs available here require a Masters in Social Work but they are not concerned with the college you graduated from. Has anyone on this string come across anything on the programs at CSUSB? If so, I would appreciate your feedback.

Decaf,  I can relate to your experience.  I too, am in the same position, but know in order to "move on", I need to complete my MSW.  I also need an online MSW program that I can complete and work at least part time.  I also have similar debt from my BS in Psychology, and am nervous to accrue more.  I know it will make sense in the end, but it is a hard decision.  I have narrowed my choices down to Boston & Edinboro, since Louisville is an MSSW.   I would like to focus on clinical, but am not sure if the extra $ Boston costs is worth the additional money, when Edinboro offers atleast a family concentration.  I've considered the general MSW programs, but am unsure they will prepare me for clinical (supervised) practice after graduation.  I want to be as prepared as possible.  

In Idaho, I am not required to complete a "Clinically concentrated MSW" to pursue my LCSW, but I feel it would be beneficial. 

My questions are:

Is it worth the extra $$ to pursue a clinically focused program?  

If so, is Boston the way to go for a 100% online clinical-MSW program?  

Has anyone complete the MSW online through Boston or Edinboro that can give me any feedback?

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I just applied to the UNE MSW online for Fall 2014- Is it difficult to get accepted? Has anyone applied already and heard back?

Thanks!