2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Ok, I know the place for this post is in the decision forum, but I wanted some advice from people who know biology:

I am deciding between UCSF's DSCB program vs. UCSD's BMS.

UCSF is very prestigious, but I got the overwhelming feeling of an elitist environment. I could tell speaking to the grad students that the place is very rigorous, and I can't help but feel that I'll be extra-stressed there.

On the other hand, UCSD was very laid back, and the first thing all the grad students brought up was how happy they were. There's great research going on too, but I worry that the name-recognition won't be quite as good.

I am equally interested in the research at both places.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I picked UCSD over some "better" schools for many of the reasons you mentioned. The reputation in life sciences is very well regarded, and you have some real superstar PIs there, not to mention great affiliated institutes (Salk, Scripps, the soon-to-be new freaking JCVI!!!)

Edited by bamafan

• 2 weeks later...

you know, this doesn't  bother me too too much at this point as i already accepted an offer from one of my top choices MONTHS ago... but i just went through to check on the 4 schools (out of 11 i applied to) that i never heard back from. and guess what? all of their application websites STILL say "your status will be here when we get it" or "referred to college for review." i was totally taken aback! how could they string people a long like that? what if they had been the only schools i applied to?! 

i am just wondering if anyone else has found that some schools just NEVER responded to them. i mean, seriously, i paid a lot of money to get either your rejection or acceptance! 

I had one school never respond to me (and it's a good program, too).

I had one professor at another school tell me they would get back to me on a certain date -- then didn't send any updates for another 4 weeks past that date.

I had two schools "reject" me after I declined their offers of admission.  Reminded me of kids in middle-school: "nuh-uh, you can't reject me, I reject you first!"

I had one school never respond to me (and it's a good program, too).

I had one professor at another school tell me they would get back to me on a certain date -- then didn't send any updates for another 4 weeks past that date.

I had two schools "reject" me after I declined their offers of admission.  Reminded me of kids in middle-school: "nuh-uh, you can't reject me, I reject you first!"

Wait... you never heard back from Baylor? Which program did you apply to? The other girl in my current program finally heard back that she was rejected on April 12 from physiology and immunology. I would imagine if you got into WashU that they wouldn't have thrown your application out at Baylor...

I applied to biochem for my first choice, and molecular biology for my second.  The application status said they were considering it under biochem until the beginning of April when it switched over to my second choice (so I think they at least looked at it).  My results were a little hit or miss, but it was kind of surprising not to hear back at all XD

• 2 weeks later...

you know, this doesn't  bother me too too much at this point as i already accepted an offer from one of my top choices MONTHS ago... but i just went through to check on the 4 schools (out of 11 i applied to) that i never heard back from. and guess what? all of their application websites STILL say "your status will be here when we get it" or "referred to college for review." i was totally taken aback! how could they string people a long like that? what if they had been the only schools i applied to?! 

i am just wondering if anyone else has found that some schools just NEVER responded to them. i mean, seriously, i paid a lot of money to get either your rejection or acceptance! 

I'm still waiting to hear from a school, and it's my last chance. I sent an e-mail asking two questions, one of them being about when we might hear from them. They answered the first question but not the second one. At this point I've already pretty much decided to take a year off and work in a lab, work on my resume, retake the GRE, etc. If they offered me a position in like July, I'm not sure what I would do. 

Edited by trickster31

I had two schools accept me after sending me rejection notices after they found funding, so things can be weird.  It still didn't alter my final choice though as Irvine felt like the best fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, first time posting...quick question!

I am working in a molec bio lab and looking to pursue a PhD.

Quick stats:

2.9undergrad gpa (bio), 3.15gpa 2 non-matriculated graduate classes I took, 151v/153q 4.5aw GRE (retaking)...  My boss in the lab is also a professor at the state university and has suggested I go for a phd based on what he thinks I'm capable of. He would sponsor me and be my advisor, how do you all suggest I go about taking advantage of this to the fullest? I am hoping my experience, GRE's, letters and SOP can outweigh my poor undergrad performance.

I would be able to do my research in the lab I am currently working in as well. I can't help but think this is a good foot in the door.

Thanks, and good luck everyone!

• 6 months later...