Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

So today was the cut off for most of my applications, and I got them all in earlier this week. I am going to wait a week to make sure all documents were found(since I sent in my transcripts and stuff early) however this is still nerve wracking. I am the only person I know who thinks I wont get in and am already panicking.

How are the rest of you handling it? First thing I made sure of was I am not going to look at any of my written submissions, because I know that if I look at them I will find something and I will freak out about it.

Edited by gradorbust

It's completely normal. I've found that dealing with this is like being on an emotional rollercoaster. One minute I feel like I could get acceptances to most - if not all - of my programs. The next minute it's another round of flat out rejections.

The best advice I can give you (besides not looking at your submitted applications) is to do your best to distract yourself from this. Take up a hobby, take an exercise/dance class, play video games, whatever works for you. It's hard, believe me I know. But most programs won't even begin contacting applicants for interviews until January, so we basically have a month to wait before we will hear anything. I'm telling myself I can't even start wondering/worrying about this until the winter semester starts at my university. I don't want to be obsessing about this over break when I can be doing something fun and relaxing. I'll start once I'm busy with the new semester. Now that's not to say I won't think about this, because believe me I will, but I won't let myself obsess about the what-ifs.

If you can't figure out a distraction, one thing I did last year was to confront my fear and figure out what I would do if the worst case scenario (flat out rejections) happened. If you have a plan, then it isn't as scary. And to be perfectly honest, not getting in anywhere sucks, but it isn't the end. If you want to talk about it PM me.

I finished 6 out of 9 applications that are due this weekend. My last three schools on the list are UCD, UCI and UCSB. I have my recommenders send in the letters and they are all completed. Transcripts and GRE scores are there but right now I'm feeling hopeful that I should get interviews from some of the six schools I applied to...but I know that I will freak out in a little bit and that's when I will probably complete the other three applications that are due on Dec 15th.

I've been in contact with a POI at Stanford. He's a big shot but not on the admission committee. I sent him my SOP and he replied with a nice encouragement."should the admissions committee recommend an interview, and I hope they do, I will meet you on the interview days if possible." THAT made my day!!!

I have a bunch of traveling planned for December, which means I'll be working long hours in between to catch up...but come January I'm sure I'll be spending most of my free time in the fetal position, having a perma-anxiety attack until I get accepted to at least one program.

As nervewracking as it is, at least your application stuff is somewhat in your control (which is weirdly comforting to me) whereas once the apps are sent out, it's all out of my hands. It's going to be a long few months.

As nervewracking as it is, at least your application stuff is somewhat in your control (which is weirdly comforting to me) whereas once the apps are sent out, it's all out of my hands. It's going to be a long few months.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm good when it's in my hands, and once there's no longer anything I can do about it, I lose it completely. Same with tests.

The only thing making me lose my mind is that one of my recommenders has zero computer / online literacy, so having her fill out online recommendations has been difficult at best. Out of my 7 applications, I am still waiting on two of them -- because of this ONE person's recommendations. The final two require the text of the recommendation to be uploaded as a separate attachment, rather than an online form to fill-in, so she's struggling to figure out how to do that. Everything else has been submitted (etc) and I am to the point of just asking her how I can help her submit it. UGH!

I just bought a ticket to Bangladesh from jan 3rd - jan 14th just so I don't have to think about it. But after I bought it I realized I won't be able to access my voice mail or return phone calls and now I have this fear of a professor calling me and not being able to respond while I am away...

Only one more app to submit, and everything's done, just have to fill the form and mail it. I'm so relieved but so bored at the same time. I feel the need to do something other than check my email and gradcafe for result news. I'm going to try get a second part time job to fill up my time and also hang out with people I've neglected these past few months lol!

Lost my mind, and my hair.

I think I have trichotillomania because I start compulsively breaking my hair when i'm stressed. My hair hasn't looked this bad since my honors thesis in undergrad D-:

I just bought a ticket to Bangladesh from jan 3rd - jan 14th just so I don't have to think about it. But after I bought it I realized I won't be able to access my voice mail or return phone calls and now I have this fear of a professor calling me and not being able to respond while I am away...

My husband wanted to take me on a short trip to somewhere warm and beachy for my b-day this year (in Feb.)- a very nice thought on his part- but when he told me I reacted like he was plotting against me. After all, I need to be by my phone and computer every minute of everyday from Jan to Feb, or who knows what will happen... ay761, you are probably the saner of us to just go for it. I believe you can (and should) alert the programs you applied to about your availability.

One week until my first app. is due. This is my second year applying and I am already alternating between a modicum of confidence and deep sympathy with Jude the Obscure - should be a fun next couple of months

Yeah, I was wondering about sending the emails.... I think it might be a little early though, I mean I really doubt anyone will be contacting anyone before Jan. 14th. I'm kind of scared to bother the admissions committee by sending such an email, but maybe I should.

haha, last time I applied for something I really wanted I decided to take a vacation to a remote beach out-of-country the week the results were due in, and then ended up hitchhiking into town every morning to check and see if I received an email. I guess I still haven't learned my lesson...

Good luck on your second round of applying!

oh well, i emailed profs i talked to in october about my finished application. None of them replied, I just assumed they are busier now than before...But I AM losing my mind.

I am definitely losing my mind, I think it's been lost for a while now actually

Me too, although I didn't realize it was gone until I finished my apps and had nothing to work on. (Pretty sure all my friends and family have known for some time, though.)