Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Lately the only thing I've been capable of is watching 30 Rock and singing aloud to really vapid pop songs

Last year, I was just getting into Breaking Bad around the time that it was becoming apparent 2012 wasn't going to be my year. NOT a good idea. I'm going to curate my extracurricular activities more carefully this year.

Haha fucking Anne Taylor... I feel like going for the opposite approach, accumulating so much regular junk mail that I become completely desensitized to new email notifications and stop caring.

my facebook status update has been back to the post-breakup level, which is quite sad because all my friends now know that i am going crazy again. all my friends....ex included....

Haha fucking Anne Taylor... I feel like going for the opposite approach, accumulating so much regular junk mail that I become completely desensitized to new email notifications and stop caring.

I hadn't considered this approach...you might have something here.

I am slowly starting to lose my mind. I have two applications left, and I know that once those two are submitted I will completely lose my mind. it doesn't help that I have found this website, so I know when and how I'm going to hear from a school. I set up a separate email address specifically for my applications to make sure I didn't miss anything, and nothing got lost in the shuffle. I literally don't know what to do with myself now.

Oh my gosh ^THIS.

I had went through all the program requirements and set up things like transcripts, etc. And I looked back at one application (not due til Dec 31) and they changed it to require 2 transcripts!!! So now I have to send requests for all my transcripts again! Luckily, I think they will make it in time. They also upped their application fee last minute and I had budgeted already for all my apps a couple months ago. So frustrating! If that stuff isn't up by the start of the school year, it should not be required for this seasons application! GRR! Okay, rant done. :P

Changing the initial application fee is ridiculous and should not be allowed. There was one application I submitted that required a general grad school application to be filled out and the fee paid before you could fill out the supplemental department application, but the others required the fee to be paid upon submission. That totally sucks, and I agree, they should stick to the price when the application first opened.

I'm pretty gutted that I know now that I will not be considered for fellowships. If I'd known that information to begin with, I wouldn't have applied to that one institution. Oh well. What will be more gutting, however, if I am not accepted anywhere.

Oh my gosh ^THIS.

I had went through all the program requirements and set up things like transcripts, etc. And I looked back at one application (not due til Dec 31) and they changed it to require 2 transcripts!!! So now I have to send requests for all my transcripts again! Luckily, I think they will make it in time. They also upped their application fee last minute and I had budgeted already for all my apps a couple months ago. So frustrating! If that stuff isn't up by the start of the school year, it should not be required for this seasons application! GRR! Okay, rant done. :P

Maybe just flick them an email, explaining the situation. I agree that is very frustrating.

I've been unsubscribing to every email list I'm on, even if it's something I like. I can't be having a heart attack every time I get an email about a sale at Ann Taylor LOFT.

Okay, I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but what the hell! I created a new email address JUST for grad school stuff, so I know when there's something in there it has to do with grad school.

This process is terrible but I feel a little warm to know that there's many people (like you guys) going through the exactly the same feeling.

My emotional rollercoaster is driving me crazy, and it seems like it gets worse for a day or two after I submit each application.

I'm 4/6 and almost done on the 5th.

Something that has helped me control anxiety is to write down a schedule for EVERYTHING. For example, I know that on Saturday the 5th application has to be submitted, and I won't do anything related to the 6th until Sunday. Then, from Sunday to Friday I have to submit the last one.

After December 21st I haven't planned anything because it is a date that currently goes beyond my planned life. I'll deal with it when it comes, but I'm trying to get used to the idea that I should completely forget about my applications and carry on with my life as if there were no applications at all. Otherwise, I will just go crazy.

Edited by alf10087

Okay, I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but what the hell! I created a new email address JUST for grad school stuff, so I know when there's something in there it has to do with grad school.

I did that. It is helpful for managing all the information and to keep track of what you have received.

The problem is that every time I get the new mail icon in that account I go crazy, and it is usually just a reminder of something completely unimportant.

You don't have to be ashamed! I did this too. It was actually something that a person on an admissions board suggested for me to do when I went to one of many graduate school seminars.

The only one who is more certain than I am that I'm losing my mind is my husband. The waiting is bad enough looking at it from the inside. I can't imagine what it looks like from the outside.

The only one who is more certain than I am that I'm losing my mind is my husband. The waiting is bad enough looking at it from the inside. I can't imagine what it looks like from the outside.

Lately, I'll just be standing there thinking about whatever... not even anything application related.... and my husband will start comforting me. My face must be permanently fixed in an expression of insane anxiety.

so so so so so true! Although for me it's not a husband but rather my uber sweet room mate. I feel like I've been a horrible person to live with semester from stressing out about where to apply, to stressing out about turning things in time (although to be fair one of my recco came in 5 hrs before the deadline, 5 FREAKEN HOURS AHHH!) to stressing out about interviews, in between stressing out about lab and stereotypical midterm/finals. she's totally been supportive about this whole process but at a certain point I feel like she's started/already think i'm crazy. :(

Ugg and at another point one of my friends congratulated me on finishing my apps which dragged out to the deadline despite my nice weekly breakdown plan where I finished early Nov (HA!) and said "Congrats! Now you don't need to stress anymore and enjoy life again!" to which I give him apparently a "wild crazy look" and started laughing like a maniac for 2 straight min....... uggg

It's just really weird. Like logically I know the whole process will be over in a few months and I just need to be patient and wait, because I really can't even do anything at this point, but I can't seem to stop myself from clicking refresh on the results page/ checking my email obsessively. Hopefully it'll be better once xmas break is here? right?

This process is terrible but I feel a little warm to know that there's many people (like you guys) going through the exactly the same feeling.

I'm trying to get used to the idea that I should completely forget about my applications and carry on with my life as if there were no applications at all. Otherwise, I will just go crazy.

Omg, this. Every time my mentor mentions the apps I want to poke her with a stick or something because it sends my already-bad anxiety sky-rocketing. Three of my apps are officially complete. Just waiting on the fourth (waiting on transcripts and letters) and is due Jan 1. Then I can relax for a week or two before the first decision comes out, then relax for another month or so before the others start coming out.

Aghhhhhhh. Just don't think about it. I think we'll all be grey before our times at this rate...

Then I can relax for a week or two before the first decision comes out, then relax for another month or so before the others start coming out.

False. This has been (at least for me) the most nerve-wracking part - waiting.

False. This has been (at least for me) the most nerve-wracking part - waiting.

I agree. The time is flying because I still have apps to finish, on top of continuing my research project. Once there are no more apps to occupy my time, the waiting is going to drive me crazy. Everyone applying to professiosnal schools in my lab are a little on edge. I check my email, on average, about every ten minutes.